PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here live in Johannesburg?

SupFly
09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Girl friend is heading there for her work...couple years ago she went to Italy & I tagged along with her. Rented an Duc ST4 in Milan & rode down to Tuscanny with her...which was just awesome.

I did a little search for Johannesburg & came up with these guys:

http://www.synomia.fr/img/en/motorcycle_rental_Johannesburg.html

But was curious if there were more sport bike oriented shops & wondered what the riding in general was like in that part of the world...

Thanks,

~P

Gorf
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
You should consider renting an AK-47 to go along with your bike.

:-)

Felix Da Cat
09-03-2005, 03:17 AM
SupFly,

Yeah, there are a "couple" of sportsbikes here ;) Off the top of my head there are 4 Jo'burg members on here with Milles.

I haven't made it Tx yet, a place I've always wanted to visit, but the way I gather it, Jo'burg would be very simlar to Dallas.

Unfortunately, it's pretty flat, so mainly high speed stuff, but 3 hrs ride and you're in twisty country. If you come out here, you might want to visit the area as it's near the Kruger National Park.

I think only BM rents bikes here, but I'll look into it if you're interested. I can always speak to Aprilia SA and ask them to loan you a bike, they are excellent people to deal with, and would most probably assist.

If you do come out, drop me a line so we can hook up, if you want.

Cheers,
Felix

Felix Da Cat
09-03-2005, 03:26 AM
But was curious if there were more sport bike oriented shops & wondered what the riding in general was like in that part of the world...

There numerous bike shops out here, but those are for sales and accessories, not rentals... and the prices here suck :pissed:

If you can get out to Cape Town, I would highly recommend it. It's SA's version of your Napa Valleys. Lots of twisties and mountains, lots of places to see.

One advantage out here, you don't need to worry about cops, pay the fine and you're done, no points system ;) 120km/h on freeways and limited policing make it pleasant.

Go to www.bikesa.net/bb and in the "rides and routes" section there are some write ups with pics, but some are off-road routes.

If you do make it out here, we will arrange a run or 2 with you ;)

SupFly
09-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks! I'm thinking I will be coming to your neck of the woods Nov. 16th sometime. Girl friend will be working. What I would like to do idelay is get to town & rent a bike for a 2 or 3 days & maybe head down to your wine country south! :) Where the twisty roads lie... :peace:

Then heading back to J...she & I will then head to Kruger for safari of some kind or another. I will keep you posted of my itinerary...

Thanks for a brief lay of the land!

~Peter

Felix Da Cat
09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey Peter,

Before you rent, let me have a word with the Aprilia lads. I may be able to get you a loan bike.

Are you sure you wanna go to the wine country? It's 1000 miles to get there from Jo'burg, heheee. You can do it in a day no problem, I've done it a few times.

If you think it's too far then we can sort something out. We will get you some twisties!!

Cheers,
Felix

SupFly
09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Trip might be on hold... :( She works for the Brinks Co. Stuff get last minute shuffles all the time.

I will definitely keep you posted!

1000 miles? :crybaby: I thought is was more like 3 hours or so...1000'd be a little more of sssssstretch! :)

Will keep you posted for sure!

Thanks Chief!

~P