PDA

View Full Version : [cleaning] My ugly RSV-Factory...

Leoallafila
08-29-2005, 06:55 AM
I have one of the very first RSVR-Factory (number 24 to be built to be exact), and I have the clear feeling that there is a big difference in the transparent finish the bike has been given by Aprilia compared to later bikes: I wash the bike always with a lot of care, but in spite of that it is full of little scratches, the carbon fibre looks ugly (not shiny at all) and the overall looks of the bike (especially in the sun) is UGLY, I hate to have a new bike that i feel look worse every time I wash her, even though I normally only rinse it and use specific products and avoid using stuff that could scrape her...

I belive that the first bikes to come out had a "bad" transparent, because I have a friend that has one of the later 2004 bikes and it just looks a LOT better than mine even though having the same miles and presumably a comparable amount of washings... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Am I alone in this belief? :pissed:

derrickhackman
08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
I often wonder the same thing ... kinda like a tootsie roll pop, 'how many washings will it take till i get through the paint?'

Each time I wash and wax (about every 200 miles) I getting new little scratches that seem to come from my non-laboratory-quality materials.

Any suggestions on what to use or how ofen to wash? :spankie:

PAID BY FORD
08-29-2005, 08:24 AM
You are not alone in this feeling, i have the 2nd 04 factory sold in the us back in sept of 03 and i can assure you that the finish on the carbon fiber is not nearly as nice as the later models. It really doesnt matter though cuz i totally redid the bike in a pogialli replica. so everything was cleared over anyway and now the finish is perfect. Just have someone respray the clear and you will be fine. Hey I rather have some dull carbon on my aprilia than shiny carbon on a duc!! lol

Rick T Reloaded
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
The '05s, especially, look much better in that repect. However, you can always do what I did for my '02 R -- have all the carbon fiber re-cleared by a competent shop. Being from Denver, I took my bodywork to Morse Racing in Colorado Springs. Ask for Scott (Morse) and tell him Rick from Denver sent you. Scott really took care of me (the pickiest customer ever) and took care of my every request. The end product was second to none. Here is their website: http://www.morsefiberglass.com/.

Best of luck.

X-CBR MAN
08-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I have notice the clear coat is not near as thick as my 02, my 04 gets nicks a lot easyer allso.

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 09:26 AM
well the finish on my 2004 (number 23) is perfect, its polished very regularly, and i have no complaints, i have had the carbon clear coated, (which everyone should do anyway) so i can't say the carbon had more of a shine, actually my carbon had a nice gloss to it, and my friends is number 175 is is completely dull, so the theory of early bikes with dull carbon just went out the window, the carbon on earlier bikes was glossy, but left out in the sun, still turned flat

small scratches are probably caused by cleaning, either abraisive wash mit, or dirt on the bike, if you see circular scratches in the clear in the right angles of light, they can be lightly buffed out, i reccomend 3m finish glaze and a foam pad

Nick5704
08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I couple of products that I use work awesome. I use Griot's garage fine hand polish on the light spider scratches and they buff right out. Griot's has a web site www.griotsgarage.com, so check them out. The other product I use and love is called Glare. This stuff is fantastic. It is like a wax, but on the first pass you actually rub it in. Then you go over it again as many times as you want like a wax. You can even put it on the exhaust pipes. It fills swirl and all those light little scratches and the paint looks mint. It is made by Ultra Manufacturing 2000. Try these out if you want.

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
if you want the best detailing products around try www.zainobros.com (http://www.zainobros.com)

search around any car forums, you will find it being used, everything from acura to mb to vette's

Rick T Reloaded
08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
BTW, Morse Racing does many out of state requests. Just send your bodywork via UPS/Fed Ex etc. and Scott sends it back when done. :)

No I don't work for them. :p:

MDRSV
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I getting new little scratches that seem to come from my non-laboratory-quality materials.

I NEVER actually wash the whole bike in water. I use plexus for the body work and WD-40 for the wheels. I use simple green for the suspension bits. But spraying the bike with a hose full of water? never. Way too much electronics that might get damp or soaked.

y2kmille
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I NEVER actually wash the whole bike in water. I use plexus for the body work and WD-40 for the wheels. I use simple green for the suspension bits. But spraying the bike with a hose full of water? never. Way too much electronics that might get damp or soaked.

yeah, I think the bike was ment for dry weather only:rolleyes:

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 12:32 PM
the connectors are weatherpack connectors, wash away!!!!!!!!!, no different than getting caught in the rain

mod88
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
ive got the 04 factory #000006 and my paint is still great. use honda polish on the paint work, simple green for the wheels and suspension. I keep a coat of meguars wax on the carbon regularly, still has a good clear on it. ive discovered that baby wipes work well on the lower side fairings to get stray fork oil splat off. it doesnt leave a residue and works better and easier than soap and water. I never use water other than to rinse off simple green from the wheels, brakes and suspension.

MDRSV
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
yeah, I think the bike was ment for dry weather only

Let me tell you. I have ridden the 04RSV in very heavy rain, it did NOT like that and I had to pull over as it did not want to run too well. Just a warning....

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 09:48 PM
i've been caught in heavy downpours, running about 65mph steady up the highway in a hard hard rain, no problems

fatchance999
08-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Same here, :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :funnypost Runs sweet as in the pissing rain our NZ sun. Get washed with light hosing but i make sure to start it afterwards to dry the bits i cant get at...

derrickhackman
08-30-2005, 06:53 AM
I wash the machine with a light mist just to wet the bodywork. To get the soap off, I use the same tachtic. I also start the motor and let it run for a little bit after I am through washing.

I too have been caught in heavy rain. The machine ran fine and I could not stop as I was following my buddy on his '03 factory. Speeds were 60-70mph. In fact, he told me that if we ran faster we would not get wet at all. A pretty clever concept no ? :spankie:

The idea is do not soak the bike and do not use a directed spray at anything other than the perimeter of the wheel.

Thanks for the tips on the cleaners... I will check them out.

NellyMiha05
08-30-2005, 10:11 PM
See what happens when you buy a bike in black colour.

Once i had it and that's it..no more... everytime you get back home from riding,you gotta clean it

vsgofast
09-04-2005, 07:57 PM
The Aprilia works fine in the rain with its fairing it's easy to stay nice and dry!