PDA

View Full Version : New Bike, First Problem

Nick5704
08-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I just picked up my bike today, 2004 Black Factory. Since I am not able to ride it, went outside to remove the 10,000 warning stickers. I got through about half of them and decided to start the bike up and listen to it. I let the bike get warm and then I revved it a little. The tach needle shot right up and then started doing this weird like stair step drop. The needle seems to go up smooth but then would kind of tick tick down. No noise or anything just the needle would drop in like 250 rpm steps slowly. The bike would also make a loud knocking sound occasionally. Like metal knocking. WTF!

I had bike broken in on the dyno, so the bike has 20 miles on it. Everything at the dealership appeared to be fine. The bike was brand new before that and had never been run. Any ideas?

hyperdrive
08-27-2005, 08:01 PM
It souns like it is bouncing off the preset rev limiter.When you say rev it how many rpm are you dong it to?Not a real good idea to free rev the bike( imo).

Nick5704
08-27-2005, 08:09 PM
I revved it to like 2500 3000 rpm. Were talking like nothing just blipping the throttle.

clarkie49
08-28-2005, 07:18 AM
dont worry, that is normal. the dash is a little different to a lot of bikes and that is just one of the things the tach needle does as the revs come down :)

Nick5704
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Man, seems weird. My friend has a Nera and his tach moves smooth as butter. My tach on the other hand, falls way slower than the actual bike revs. What about the loud knocking sound? Any ideas, I am thinking about calling the dealer back.