PDA

View Full Version : finally found a cleaner for OZ wheels

ckruzel
08-26-2005, 10:56 AM
i'll admit it, i'm anal about my bike, its better than showroom almost all the time, cleaned before and after each ride, polished almost every day so when it came time to clean the oz wheels, i had no idea what to use, i heard try wd40, soap and water honda spray polish, but i knew there had to be something out there i can spray and rinse (ok i'm no woos, i ride it hard i just like it really really clean when i'm done)

first off do not use honda spray polish on the rims, its not as noticable, but hace you ever seen a car with grain plastic moldings that someone hit with a polish that dried white? same effect, not just the white, dirt and polish actually get forced into the grain surface, making the wheel darker over time, i always thought my rims looked good until hyperdrive got his new bike and brought it over, his rims were very bright blue, i was like mine used to look like that

so i go to the local auto parts store looking for something to clean wheels, i ask some questions, hmm, motorcycle rims, try eagle one a-z ok i buy it, i get home and had not noticed that it says DO NOT USE ON MOTORCYCLE RIMS on the back of the bottle, DAMN!! get back in the car drive back explain the writing on the bottle, start looking at others, i found mothers all wheel cleaner in a red bottle, i read the back:

mothers wheel mist all wheel cleaner is designed for all new car wheels anodized, polished, clearcoated, aluminum, custom wheels and hub caps, nothing about not using on motorcycle rims

so the moment of no return is coming up, and i'm scared shitless, if i ruin the rims, i would have to go out and order new ones. i wet the wheels, (surface has to be cool) i spray the rear rim first soaking it, i actually sprayed it with water first, i didn't wait the 2 minutes about one minute, hosed off, wow very very bright blue again, so i did the front same results, WOW just like new i used a new towel (wife not happy about that, she always has to keep buying new towels because i take them all the time for the bike) i notice the rear one is turning like a whitish greyish in places (SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but the front is dry and looks good, ok quick think same finish, whats differnet, front wheel doesn't get that dirty, i honda spray polished the shit out of the rear rim all the time, so i get to looking, its like a polish build up in the grain, wash mit some joy and some mothers cleaner on the mit and i scrub the whole rim, rinse - dry - bright blue after drying just like new

individual results may vary, and i'm not being responsible for anything that goes wrong, but this worked for me, and thats what i'm using, since this post i've cleaned them 2 times and they look great, no more honda spray polish on the rims, just clean them, although i don't spray the rims each day i clean the bike, i drag out the hose about once a weeks for the rim treatment, they seem to stay cleaner longer

glad i could be a guinea pig

here is what i bought

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05924.jpg

ZdaMan
08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
You sound a lot like myself. I use S100 wheel cleaner. A bit pricey at 9.00 at bottle but a little goes a long ways.

http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3422

dre62582
08-26-2005, 03:09 PM
But i cannot remember the name for hte life of me, but they do carry it at Pep Boys or I think Auto Zone, its this wheel degreaser type stuff, that takes off everything.... Used it on my old bike to get the tar from the newly paved roads off, gone, then used it on my factory rims woot so so clean, I will get the name tomorrow and post either a pic and or website link.
dre :whiner:

X-CBR MAN
08-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Cool, I will try it this weekend. Now that you mention it my rims don't look as rich and brite looking as new. Thanx

Marko
08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Simple Green, works for me! :)

Gorf
08-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Most rim cleaners have a very generic warning about not using on motorcycle rims for the safety of the rider as opposed to actually harming *motorcycle* rims specifically. Because a large portion of them are petroleum or silicon based, there is a very real danger of the stuff running off the rim and coating the carcass. Then on your next ride leaned over in a turn, you discover that nice slick spot on the carcass, and end up face first in the ditch.

That said, I have used a lot of cleaners very successfully including ones with that warning. The trick is to wash the rim with a cloth that is soaked int he cleaner as opposed to spraying the rim down. You can then control where and how much of the cleaner gets on the rim.

The horror as I watched the neighbors squid... er kid Armor-all'ing the sidewalls of the carcass on his ZX6 one bright afternoon before leaving on a ride.

Reubens32
08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Good find!

I'm sticking with Griots stuff for my babies. Kinda pricey but I think its worth it. BTW - Use microfibre cloth whenever you can.

Griots Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11131)

:peace:

Arnie
08-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Good find!

I'm sticking with Griots stuff for my babies. Kinda pricey but I think its worth it. BTW - Use microfibre cloth whenever you can.

Griots Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11131)

:peace:

:plus: I use the same stuff. You every try Speed Shine on the OZ rims yet? Works like a charm.

CalPolyMille
08-28-2005, 08:24 PM
:plus: Simple Green. I use the foamy stuff. Leaves a little bit of residue, but i just cleaned that off with my Zymol Detail Spray. The Zymol works pretty good all over and kinda smells like bannana bread to me. mmmmmm :)

Reubens32
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
:plus: I use the same stuff. You every try Speed Shine on the OZ rims yet? Works like a charm.

Every weekend! :)

X-CBR MAN
08-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Who and where do you find that?

Arnie
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Who and where do you find that?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11146

BTW it can be used on your entire bike. The carbon fiber look like they've been seal coated it's that good.

amauri
08-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Be Careful

Some automotive wheel cleaners are very acidic and actually contain various acid type chemicals in the mix. Read the contents on the label.

The danger is not only to the anodized coating on rim itself but to the brake components and mounting hardware.

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 12:20 AM
i'm sure thats why eagle one a-z said not for motorcycle rims, i had to wipe down the discs with brake clean when finished, the first time i just burnished them back in

Zeeowh
08-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I actually work for Valvoline (Eagle One) in Oz and the reason it has "not for use on motorcycle rims" is because we had some instances of people spraying painted wheels that had no clear coat on them and then asking uis to compensate for damage.
I think with any wheel cleaner you should test a small area of the wheel first before spraying all over. I use A2Z everytime i clean my bike and it works a treat, the other product i find excellent is Wax As U Dry for the washes in between waxes. Very, very easy to use...

Gorf, it seems your neighbour is not the only motorcyclist that puts tyre shine on the face of the tyre as we recently received a letter from a "rider of 25 years" that wanted to discuss why he fell off after applying a E1 tyre shine to his tyres. Amazing.... he said that he has been doing this for years and this was the first time a product wasn't suitable. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity. :spankie:

ckruzel
08-29-2005, 09:29 AM
i really don't go along with the testing a small spot on a motorcycle rim, car rim yes, remove tire test on inside of rim, motorcycle rim - everything is visable doesn't matter what you ruined its still there

Zeeowh
08-30-2005, 02:39 AM
You would prefer to just spray it on the entire rim and make the entire thing look like crap rather than a small dot on one part of it????????

ckruzel
08-30-2005, 05:42 AM
wheather i ruined a small part of one spoke, or the whole rim, i'd still be replacing it

Ricky J
08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
A spray-on cleaner used for top-shelf bicycles, Finish Line's Eco Tech, was my product of choice for OZ wheels. It dissolved chain lube and grease easily, lifted brake dust, did not attack rubber or leave any residue, and rinsed off with water. The wheel finish looked just like new.

Not the cheapskate choice, but it's a 100% fantastic product.

scott2ride
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Christ all mighty!!!!!! Ive had my Factory almost a year now and have only washed it about 4 times. And I ride 4 weekends out of 5 and do plenty of rides where she gets wet and dirty!

I cant find the time to clean the bloody thing as I'd rather spend the extra hour riding! :)

I'll clean it when I sell it! :rolleyes:

fnfalman
08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Polishing a bike...hmmm...interesting notion...

ckruzel
08-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Christ all mighty!!!!!! Ive had my Factory almost a year now and have only washed it about 4 times. And I ride 4 weekends out of 5 and do plenty of rides where she gets wet and dirty!

I cant find the time to clean the bloody thing as I'd rather spend the extra hour riding! :)

I'll clean it when I sell it! :rolleyes:

Scott, i ride almost everyday, the reason for a spray on cleaner is to save time
i commute on my bike to work, and yes get caught in the rain from time to time, all i said was polish seemed to push the dirt in the grooves, even after soap and water clean, then polish, this spray cleans and no wiping or polishing, just spray and rinse

btw i ride every weekend

scott2ride
08-31-2005, 08:26 PM
I was only giving you shit! (Which is not like ma at all!) :rolleyes:

What do you use as the spray cleaner on the rest of the bike?

I tried S100 but wasnt that impressed!

tt dave
09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
use muc off, can be used on all of the bike spray on rinse off