PDA

View Full Version : Streets of Willow

Old Wanderer
08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
For those of you that know "Streets of Willow" let me know your thoughts. I am finally getting my track bike (Falco) back together again. RSV motor, Ohlin shock, Mille swing arm, Tigcraft Exhaust, PC-III. but since this course is short and techincal I was thinking about trying a 520 chain with a 15/43 chain/sprocket set. :rolleyes:

Seems like if I could keep the front end down, should be just the ticket for this twisty little track... :happy:

What are your thoughts? :whiner:

(Now forget the old Zen saying "Those that say do not know, and those that know do not say). Help out an old man.... :crybaby:

dbransky
08-26-2005, 01:40 AM
I plan on heading up there with a buddy or three on the 6th of Sept (Tuesday). The day is sponsored by MTCtrackday who puts on an excellent show. Hope to see you there.

-David

Booger Red
08-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Me and Big Mikey will be at Streets on the 6th as well. Look for a grey Tuono with clip-ons, a black 600RR and a green ZRX under a blue canopy, behind a red Navigator with a blue trailer. Colorful huh.....Be sure and hunt us down.

Old Wanderer, have you ever been to Streets before, and when are you planning on going? I think the setup you've got would work fine. I really like Streets, but it is a work out, especially when the weathers hot. Hope they fixed that big pot hole in the middle of turn 5. Last time I was there somebody had stuck an orange cone in it.

Old Wanderer
08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Old Wanderer, have you ever been to Streets before, and when are you planning on going? I think the setup you've got would work fine. I really like Streets, but it is a work out, especially when the weathers hot. Hope they fixed that big pot hole in the middle of turn 5. Last time I was there somebody had stuck an orange cone in it.

I have 100's of laps on the main course at Willow, but that was many years ago. I have never been to the "Streets of Willow". I will not be going until October, as I will get the engine in the Falco over Labor Day weekend, but then I have to go the Seattle then to Oslo, sort of kills Sept for me.

I'll post again on the dates I will be there. Getting pretty old :cigar: to be squeezing in my leathers. You don't have too many people that pull out there Medicare card when they ask for proof of medical insurance. :) . The body and mind are still willing, so guess when I get to the point I can just set in the rocking chair and lean from side to side sipping my JD, I'll have a full store of memories.

dbransky
08-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Streets is a blast. It's more technical than the big track and I think that ads a heck of lot more flavor to the whole package. My friend will be on his Grey and gold Tuono. As for me, look for a short dude in blue Kushi leathers on an orange 04 Tuono. See you guys in turn 1.

-David

Booger Red
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Streets is a blast. It's more technical than the big track and I think that ads a heck of lot more flavor to the whole package. My friend will be on his Grey and gold Tuono. As for me, look for a short dude in blue Kushi leathers on an orange 04 Tuono. See you guys in turn 1.

-David

Hey David, it was nice meeting you yesterday out at Streets. Sorry we didn't get a chance to visit a little more. You and your friends out there were doin some scootin, really fun to watch. Hope you guys had as much fun as we did. If you make any more MTC trackdays look for us at the track.

Phil

dbransky
09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
It was great to be out there. I plan on making some suspension mods as it is now a huge priority of mine. I was having fun on the bike but never got out of 3rd gear. My little body can't use those 1kg/inch springs properly so I will plan on going back out to the track right after I get the bike dialed.

Shiny side up,

-David

Schu
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Streets is to small. it is to small for my car, let alone my bike. I prefer a larger, faster track than a point a squirt... but that is MY preference. it would be fun on a 400 or 250. Just .02 and half

Booger Red
09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Streets is to small. it is to small for my car, let alone my bike. I prefer a larger, faster track than a point a squirt... but that is MY preference. it would be fun on a 400 or 250. Just .02 and half

I enjoy riding Streets a lot, it's not very fast but plenty twisty. Plus it's a great place to practice technique. I enjoy setting for up for a series of corners, then trying to execute that series as smoothly as I can. Streets has a lot of tight corners to practice being smooth on the brakes and the throttle.

Not sure I entirely understand your meaning "it is to small for my car, let alone my bike." I take it you're wanting more MPH. I can understand if you're thing is about WFO then Streets wouldn't work very well. No offense here, but the "point and squirt" comment sounds a little squidly, as in walk thru the corner and squirt down the straight. If that's how you're riding Streets, I think you've missed the point. ;)

LUCKY DAVE
09-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with Schu. The big track at willow is fAST. Our Aprilias are open class machines, and for issues involving self respect should run with the big dogs. Also, if you have any racing aspirations you need to learn to go fast in the fast corners. Anyone can go fast in the slow corners, but there is little time to be made up there,and you can still crash out of the race. The speed differential between slow and fast riders in slow corners is small, but in very fast corners it's huge. That's what wins races.

HOWEVER........if you don't want to be a racer and just want to have fun in a relatively safe environment, smaller tracks are great. You will probably not be going as fast when you crash, (evereyone falls down eventually) and remember the energy is 1/2 the mass times the velocity squared. In other words It's not nearly as dangerous. And track days are all about fun, right?
Also, small tracks are more like real world street riding. Your brain is already calibrated to think at that speed, so it's not so bewildering the first time, and you're more likely to enjoy yourself.
Full speed tracks can be pretty intimidating at first, and when fun is the goal, who wants to be intimidated?

Booger Red
09-24-2005, 02:25 PM
We'll be out at the big track on Wed, hopefully I won't be TOO intimidated.
Anybody else going? It's another MTC event.

We need to organize a west coast Aprilia trackday. Or just take over a club desmo event out at Button Willow. :rambo:

here's a pretty good vid of a guy at big Willow on a Z1000 says he ran a 1:45 with traffic. I think his speedometer showed 140+ at the end of the front straight.

http://imageevent.com/capete/ridevideo?p=26&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

Old Wanderer
09-24-2005, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Booger Red]

We need to organize a west coast Aprilia trackday. Or just take over a club desmo event out at Button Willow. :rambo:

Let all of know if you do a Aprilia track day. I'll do my best to be there. ;)

Booger Red
09-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Old Wanderer ~anytime you'd like to meet up with me and BigMikey at a trackday, you're more than welcome to join us. There's always an extra chair and some shade to sit it in. We're a couple of old farts too, In fact most of the guys we ride with are cranky old turds. Sounds like you'd fit right in :)

Putting together a trackday for the forum would be great. No idea how to do it. Maybe I'll make a couple of calls to ButtonWillow and see what it'd take.

Anyways, we'll be out at Willow this Wed with these guys. We're also signed up with CLASS for Oct 7 at Streets. I'm sure we'll be at some more events in the next couple of months too. If you like to meet up PM me or BigMikey

http://mtctrackday.com/home.shtml

LUCKY DAVE
09-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey red booger,
When I said intimidating I guess I was remembering my younger days. Banging bars in 8 with a big guy that was trying to knock me down while we were running 28's on skinny tires. :fangs: Anyone who raced open class in socal in the seventies/early eighties knows who I'm talking about. That used to get my pulse rate up a bit.
Nowadays I have to stay off the track because I'm so old I'll forget which turn comes next.

Pierre
09-25-2005, 06:16 PM
For those of you that know "Streets of Willow" let me know your thoughts. I am finally getting my track bike (Falco) back together again. RSV motor, Ohlin shock, Mille swing arm, Tigcraft Exhaust, PC-III. but since this course is short and techincal I was thinking about trying a 520 chain with a 15/43 chain/sprocket set. :rolleyes:

Seems like if I could keep the front end down, should be just the ticket for this twisty little track... :happy:

What are your thoughts? :whiner:

(Now forget the old Zen saying "Those that say do not know, and those that know do not say). Help out an old man.... :crybaby:

GP is going to the Streets November 7. I'm pretty sure I''m gonna' sign up. Any of you guys buy / get service at GP? Going to the track day?

Bigmikey
09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Phil
The Priller's prepped and ready for Wednesday. Are you riding the 600 or the "open class" bike? Later. Mike

Booger Red
09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Hey Phil
The Priller's prepped and ready for Wednesday. Are you riding the 600 or the "open class" bike? Later. Mike

The priller is due for service, so I'm going to ride the 600. I'm going to haul the Tuono over with us and see if I can leave it with Kelly Baker to work on. Save me a trip to LA. But I'll need to call him tomorrow to make sure he can get to it in the next few days. Then maybe I can get the Futura over there for service soon too. Also Dave Moss is suppose to be at the track, so I was going to have him check out the suspension on it. I'll get fuel and stuff and be at your place at 5:30 Wed morning.

Phil

hank
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
SOW was the first track I went to and I did several days there over the years when I lived in CA - Fun track! As mentioned previously, it is small and technical, you'll see a nice mix: elevation change, off-chamber and the bowl (nirvana!).

I agree that a full-litre bike can't stretch it's legs there at all, the a Priller 125 or 250 would rock! If you can maintain good corner speed, you'll pass the bike bike's that tend to rely on HP on the shoots but park it in at every turn.

Not much shade so make sure you have a canopy to sit under....

Have fun & post piccies!