PDA

View Full Version : water wetter

Paulpt
08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I read that many in this forum use redline's water wetter with good results to lower the temp in the bike's engine. I also heard that long term water wetter can cause rust in the radiator.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Paul

Jet City Racer
08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
When used with distilled water, Water Wetter produces considerably less weight loss (measurement of corrosion) than even a glycol based coolant.

I used it in the same Mille for 4 years without any problems whatsoever.

:peace:

Paulpt
08-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I guess it has to be done in the right mix and with distilled water too.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

BigMac
08-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Be sure you are using distilled water, not de-ionized or straight tap water.

Buy a 1 gallon jug of distilled water from local supermarket, pour out 4oz, replace with 4 oz. WW (use the reaining 8oz in your car if you want, shake solution, pour into radiator, bleed system.

Engine will generally run cooler as this solution is much more efficient heat transfer than E-glycol or P-glycol solutions. This dillution combined with distilled water will provide more than sufficient corrosion protection in your motor and should provide boil over protection up to 250* F using factory cap. The biggest caution however is that this solution under factory cap pressure will freeze at approximately 26*F. If it's cold where you are in winter, you MUST install at least a 50% poly-glycol solution to prevent serious engine and/or cooling system component damage. Take care.

FWIW: the Water Wetter solution is approved for track usage as well!

mfbRSV
08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
...I used it in the same Mille for 4 years without any problems whatsoever.

:peace:

Ditto. Still using it in mine, flush & refill once a year...

vsgofast
08-23-2005, 09:09 PM
I wonder what's Clarkie's opinion on using Water Wetter on street bikes that don't see alot of track days? Clarkie?

Rutan
08-23-2005, 10:13 PM
I've been using water wetter for the last 2 months and so far it has had good results. Most of my riding now is in city rush hour, and my temps have been lower since putting watter wetter in eventhough the outside temp and road temps have increased greatly.

Marcus

amauri
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Keep in mind that Water Wetter has no lubricating properties.

Dr. Thrillride
08-24-2005, 01:10 AM
well, if there's any place to test it, it's in your neighbourhood. Holly jumpin, it's hot in your area. I don't know how you guys deal with it...

I've been using water wetter for the last 2 months and so far it has had good results. Most of my riding now is in city rush hour, and my temps have been lower since putting watter wetter in eventhough the outside temp and road temps have increased greatly.

Marcus

Jet City Racer
08-24-2005, 02:11 AM
They claim that it does lubricate the water pump seals, but I have to admit it's contradictory to the fact that they say it doesn't increase slipperyness of rubber to pavement. ?????

It reduces engine temperature and scale deposits/accumulation, is safe for track usage, and I don't know of any cooling system failures from using it. The only problem I am aware of is it doesn't protect against freezing.

If my 1060cc engine didn't boil at Buttonwillow in July w/110 degree temps, to me it's damn good stuff!

:plus:

clarkie49
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
I wonder what's Clarkie's opinion on using Water Wetter on street bikes that don't see alot of track days? Clarkie?

I would rather use Engine Ice ;)

BigMac
08-26-2005, 01:53 PM

Lubricating properties? What do you want lubricated in a cooling system? The seals? As long as the system has not overheated creating steam that may have damaged seals, modern gaskets and viton o-ring seals will outlast bearing surfaces. Take care

BigMac
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I would rather use Engine Ice ;)

While I would agree Engine Ice is a fine product, it is a premixed PG/H2O coolant with added Water Wetter solution all packaged in a single gallon jug. Yes, the cooling system volume of the Rotax V60 or most any other liquid-cooled bike is so small as to make over-priced coolant somewhat trivial, the fact is a DIY solution of any PG coolant mixed 50/50 with Distilled H2O and Water Wetter is 1/2 the cost of Engine Ice and the result is an identical product. Take Care

Bigmikey
08-26-2005, 05:00 PM
My Tuonos' operating temp dropped 4 degrees F with distilled + wetter vs coolant. Don't know yet about rust.