PDA

View Full Version : axle nut ?

jwa1
08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
ok here's the question.
after starring at my bike today waiting and dreaming of the next track day i decided to read through my shop manual. since i can't read i just look at the pics. but i noticed that in manual the rear axle nut is on the chain side of the wheel. now my mine is on the rotor side, pausing for second i remembered that i always make sure to leave things as i found them. so my question is :
does it really matter ? should the nut be in place to torque to the front or to the rear ?

thanks again for your comments. :)

amauri
08-22-2005, 12:39 AM
The axle can go either way but, having the nut on the sprocket side makes it easier to R&R the wheel.

Jet City Racer
08-22-2005, 01:20 AM
The bikes come from the factory with the nut on the brake side. (Just like yours Johnny.) It helps pull the wheel forward towards the chain tensioners when tightening.

jwa1
08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
The bikes come from the factory with the nut on the brake side. (Just like yours Johnny.) It helps pull the wheel forward towards the chain tensioners when tightening.
thats what i thought, my gixxxer was the same way. the pic in the manual just thru me off. :worship:

amauri
08-22-2005, 06:00 PM
The rear wheel on the 04-05 Milles is a pain to remove & replace as compared to the older bike.

By inserting the axle from the right side (nut on the left) you can hold the caliper bracket with the axle partially pushed in just enough to keep the caliper in place before sliding the wheel in.

Doesn't really matter on a street bike but for a track bike it quicker to R&R the wheel.

Kiwi_M5
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
The rear wheel on the 04-05 Milles is a pain to remove & replace as compared to the older bike.

By inserting the axle from the right side (nut on the left) you can hold the caliper bracket with the axle partially pushed in just enough to keep the caliper in place before sliding the wheel in.

aha... brilliant tip

Doesn't really matter on a street bike but for a track bike it quicker to R&R the wheel.

ummm excuse my ignoraance, but what is R&R mean? Whilst I need R&R and havent been on holiday for a while, I dont think this is the correct interpretation :spankie: Replace and reset?

amauri
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Sorry about that,

R&R is a term commonly used by mechanics around here, it means to Remove and Replace a component.

Dr. Thrillride
08-23-2005, 12:45 AM
ah no worries Deano...just those americans. We say, 'Re and Re' up here in Canuck land and R&R for holiday time.

aha... brilliant tip

ummm excuse my ignoraance, but what is R&R mean? Whilst I need R&R and havent been on holiday for a while, I dont think this is the correct interpretation :spankie: Replace and reset?

clarkie49
08-23-2005, 07:58 AM

:plus: definitely! I always stick a screw driver inbetween the chain and sprcoket (at the bottom) and roll the wheel in a forward direction which pulls the wheel hard up against the blocks

jwa1
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
i agree the rear wheel is a pain :crybaby:
thanks guys i knew i could count on ya :plus:

Jet City Racer
08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
:plus: definitely! I always stick a screw driver inbetween the chain and sprcoket (at the bottom) and roll the wheel in a forward direction which pulls the wheel hard up against the blocks
Good point Aaron.

:peace: