PDA

View Full Version : A long story but short

mossback
08-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Mine died about 4 weeks ago, service light on and no neutral light, kickstand light on too, though the kickstand has been bypassed.

My dealer had it for few days and with Aprilia USA decided the ECU had gone bad. I waited for a new ECU to be shipped. 3 weeks and no ECU I called Aprilia USA, they said they'd ship one off another bike but I found one I could borrow from my friends at AF1 (thanks Ed) installed the new ECU and had the same effect as list above, tried a new dash (one taken off another bike) same...f@ckingthing; nothing, same...no bike to ride.

I took all the body work off and started looking at everything...then finally

I found a six pack plastic connector near the immobilizer and took it apart. Corrosion in two pins, bad. I cut the connecter off and replaced them with heavy duty spade connectors, shrink wrapped them and she fired right up off the old ECU...damn it!

What a pain in the ass that was and to be with out my bike for so long.

But now she is back and just finished a track day with NESBA, I was doing sub 1.40's at PRI (Formally "Seattle international raceway") She was flawless only the gixxer 1000 that was being ridden by a pro could could out pull me on the straights. I had a 167 indicated on the straights.

gotta hate cheap connectors, but then again I ride in the rain...

Best take a look at that six pack connector on your bikes if you are riding in the wet at all.

:cathat:

R1 Rider Ru
08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks for info. Wonder if it would happen if you wash your bike. I will keep conecters in mine for trouble shooting.

Dvus
08-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Good lap times especially in traffic.

167 damn I can't get my bike up that fast. Ahh you have too much hp :crybaby:

mossback
08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Next time we ride you can take mine out and see what you think.

Dvus
08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
yeah I'll do that.
This saturday Johnson Ridge ride.
Have some noobs going, so they won't be in the way. Just have to wait for them when we change directions. Your choice. Otherwise we can just leave em :D:

mossback
08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
where's Jonson ridge?

What time and where?

Dvus
08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
My bad Johnston Ridge observatory in Mt St Helens

the West Side of St Helens.

Suppose to meet a group of riders in Elbe at the Espresso stand at around 10-10:30AM

So i can meetup with you at about 8:30 At my place.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/NatMonument/PointsInterest/johnston_ridge.html

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/MSH/NatMonument/PointsInterest/map_msh_points_interest.gif

Jet City Racer
08-18-2005, 02:10 AM
By "sub 140's" do you mean you were running in the 130's?

:cool:

SupFly
08-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear your back in the saddle Mossback! :rambo:

Wish I could say the same! :(

:worship: I must pray to the great "heat sensor" god...

And finish it up with :spankie: stroking the boat along from Italy! :D

Beyote
08-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Glad to hear it was a simple and easily fixed problem. Too bad it was so troublesome. Why was SIR renamed and what is it supposed to be now????

wil
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Glad to hear your back in the saddle Mossback! :rambo:

Wish I could say the same! :(

:worship: I must pray to the great "heat sensor" god...

And finish it up with :spankie: stroking the boat along from Italy! :D

FWIW: ApriliaUSA just got an Italian shipment on Tuesday (mines on it!)

SupFly
08-18-2005, 08:28 AM
FWIW: ApriliaUSA just got an Italian shipment on Tuesday (mines on it!)

Yer kidding? If that's true, according to my conversations with Mike at Ape USA...mine should be on there to! :worship: please :worship: O' please :worship: be :worship: on :worship: that :worship: shipment!!! :worship:

:D

Come on lucky 7!!!

wil
08-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Yea, I'm already past 6 weeks... Gonna have to take the MSF course again by the time I'm back on the road :bangwall:

mossback
08-18-2005, 10:29 AM
By "sub 140's" do you mean you were running in the 130's?

:cool:

I did not have a lap timer but a control rider; "Mike" was hanging with me teaching me stuff. He would then rocket downhill into turn 3 and make it looks super casual. He told me I was running 1.38. 1.39, 1,40. Sub 1.30's is what he does, that dude was fast.

Thanks Mike if your out there.:cathat:

mossback
08-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Glad to hear it was a simple and easily fixed problem. Too bad it was so troublesome. Why was SIR renamed and what is it supposed to be now????

Pacific Raceways International.

Don't know why it was renamed, perhaps becuase it's actuall in Kent and not Seattle? But the SIR name has a lot of history to me and anyone else who's grown up here in the NW

Jet City Racer
08-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Pacific Raceways International.

Don't know why it was renamed, perhaps becuase it's actually in Kent and not Seattle? But the SIR name has a lot of history to me and anyone else who's grown up here in the NW

Here's the official PR "History of the track. I'm a little dissapointed that they left my dad, Harold Dahl out of mention as he actually owned 200 acres of the track where I was born which is right above the pits and was Dan Sr's original partner. The Fioritos' only owner the paving company. Dad did OK in the long run. He bought the property for $400 an acre and sold it to the Fioritos for $5,000, and they paid to pave it. Not bad for a 10 year investment!!! :)
Personally, I wish we still had the track. :pissed:

Looking Back.... Pacific Raceways, constructed in 1959, opened the track in 1960 with a mission of providing a safe, controlled environment for racing. The Fiorito family became involved at the tracks inception in 1958 when Dan Fiorito Sr. wanted to eliminate the dangers of teenage racing on public streets. At the time, Dan Sr. owned a heavy road construction company and agreed to construct and pave the track. Thus, brothers Dan Jr. and Joe, along with the construction crew spent their 1959 summer break building the road course. Pacific Raceways soon became a favorite of both racers and fans alike. In fact, noted international drivers stated the road course to be one of the best in the United States. The Pacific Raceways course is unique and is in sharp contrast to flat and oval courses. The 2.25-mile nine turn circuit is carved out of natural wooded terrain with a total elevation change of just over 125 feet. With an elevation drop of 110 feet occurring over a distance of one-half mile, the Pacific Raceways winding road course is challenging, carved out of a natural wooded terrain, and considered a true drivers track.

Drag racing has played an essential roll in track history. The inaugural race was held on July 3rd and 4th 1960. Dick Kalivoda won the inaugural NHRA event, a divisional race. He set an NHRA national elapsed-time (E.T.) record with an 11.78-second pass. In 1976 the Fiorito family made the decision to lease the facility to Seattle International Raceway (SIR) with a twenty-five year contract.
On January 1, 2002 the contract expired. The Fiorito family resumed control of the track, and restored the tracks original name of “Pacific Raceways”.

The Present.... Today, the mission at Pacific Raceways is to regain its status as the premier motorsports facility in the Northwest region. By reclaiming its past glory, Pacific Raceways will benefit the entire community with competitive racing, and exciting family entertainment.
Pacific Raceways is a leading promoter of motorsports activities in the Pacific Northwest and currently promotes more than 300 events annually.

The Future - Moving Forward.... Pacific Raceways Inc. is a local company owned by the Fiorito family. This family operated business, currently in its fourth generation, has long-standing ties to the community, and is committed to returning Pacific Raceways to its glory of yester-year.
Pacific Raceways will once again be the Northwest’s premier racing facility.

The track currently hosts a vast range of motorsports events including drag races, sport car races, motorcycle races, club races, and vintage car races. As an organization we cater to the motorsport enthusiast, and corporate racing programs.

Pacific Raceways values every one of these participating organizations, and the fans that provide support for each of these series. Accordingly, Pacific Raceways will work to enhance these relationships, and provide a world class facility to those who have been devoted to the track over the years.

Dr. Thrillride
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
This thread got sidetracked, but wanted to bring it up so others can take note.

Thanks Andrew (Mossback) for the help with my recent electrical problem.

This little incident sent me packing from raceday after 4 laps of warmup :bangwall:. What Andrew described below is exactly what happened to my bike. Same symptoms, same warning lights, etc. etc., and the mechanic found the same problem as Andrew described - one of the six-wire connectors. I fiddled, wiggled, undid/redid all the plugs and connectors to no avail, but the mechanic fixed it by taking each wire out of the six pack, sanding it, and refitting it.

The difference between my bike and Andrew's is: he rides his everywhere rain or shine and has a lot of miles on the bike, both street and track. Mine is pretty much a track only bike, I don't ride in the rain, and I only have about 3800 km on the bike. There was no corrosion on the wires, but I do change the bike back and forth from street to track, so problably compromised the connection somehow. So, whatever caused each occurrence, bottom line is if the symptoms match, go directlly to the two six-wire connectors on the left of the bike under the side panel near the top front where all electronics are mounted on the plastic girdles that attach to the upper fairing and chin.

The bike will turn over, but will not start. The bike's dash is showing:

'EFI'
'warning triangle'
'err' in the error code box
redline indicator, 'on'
no rpms registering when bike was running
side stand safety light, 'on'
nuetral light will not show, 'on'
Axone says, 'invalid combination' in ECU diagnostic

Clarkie, Jon: thanks for the input on the fix and how to advise the mechanic...

Mine died about 4 weeks ago, service light on and no neutral light, kickstand light on too, though the kickstand has been bypassed.

My dealer had it for few days and with Aprilia USA decided the ECU had gone bad. I waited for a new ECU to be shipped. 3 weeks and no ECU I called Aprilia USA, they said they'd ship one off another bike but I found one I could borrow from my friends at AF1 (thanks Ed) installed the new ECU and had the same effect as list above, tried a new dash (one taken off another bike) same...f@ckingthing; nothing, same...no bike to ride.

I took all the body work off and started looking at everything...then finally

I found a six pack plastic connector near the immobilizer and took it apart. Corrosion in two pins, bad. I cut the connecter off and replaced them with heavy duty spade connectors, shrink wrapped them and she fired right up off the old ECU...damn it!

What a pain in the ass that was and to be with out my bike for so long.

But now she is back and just finished a track day with NESBA, I was doing sub 1.40's at PRI (Formally "Seattle international raceway") She was flawless only the gixxer 1000 that was being ridden by a pro could could out pull me on the straights. I had a 167 indicated on the straights.

gotta hate cheap connectors, but then again I ride in the rain...

Best take a look at that six pack connector on your bikes if you are riding in the wet at all.

mossback
04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Gald it worked out, your are welcome.

uberchicken
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
. There was no corrosion on the wires, but I do change the bike back and forth from street to track..

Dr. T., How long does it take you to switch from road to track and back again? I don't have a track nearby, anymore, but I will soon. I love riding the Ape. on the street but recognize it deserves track time (and so do I ;) ). How often to you change the bike from street to track and back again? Once a month, more?

I'm wondering if I should by a second bike for the street or not.

Thanks,
Mike

uberchicken
04-21-2006, 01:30 PM
One more thing. I learned to ride in the Seattle area and then moved to Oahu looking forward to year round riding. Yeah, I can ride year round if I want. On crappy roads with way too many cages, cops, gravel, chickens, and other hazards and compound that with too few miles of road to ride on. I miss the NW for riding!

BigMille
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I was thinking of packing my conectors in dielectric grease, does anyone know if this is a preventative measure?

Tee-Dub
04-21-2006, 05:15 PM
I was thinking of packing my conectors in dielectric grease, does anyone know if this is a preventative measure?

I was just thinking this also. Can't imagine it'd hurt anything.

Dr. Thrillride
04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Keep in mind the symptoms, very important. If it happens, you know where to look.

CrankyGypsy
04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
the grease: might help, although it would not have helped me unless it was "slathered" beyond the coupler.

my Factory is currently down. the red/black wire that comes off the starter & battery, runs to a 2-wire connector in the trunk and then doubles back along the tailight wire loom unded up fried a couple weeks ago. my battery kept dying so i cut out the coupler, cut back the wires and found one end of the connection corroded about an inch deep. in my case, it wasn't a poor connection or an non-water tight coupler - maybe a TINY bit of water from washing it got under the wire jacket just after the coupler. anyways, i have yet to have any freetime to sit down and diagnose it as my bike is only cycling back about 11.6 volts now - my guess is the reg/rectifier got fried also as a result (which is common with the Futura guys).

these things need a wire harness service bulletin as well. it never ends...

Felix Da Cat
04-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Cranky, do a search for other threads with this issue. Your brown connector is most probably the cause of your woes. I've documented some of the problems I had, as well as the fixes.

I also had an issue with the rear connector in the hump with the 2 red wires, I just spliced them when I was having problems, I haven't even bothered with them again. Over a year with no problems, so I couldn't be bothered.

I will be looking at the immobilizer connections next time I take the panels off. Many thanks to Mossback for the heads-up.

CrankyGypsy
04-22-2006, 09:17 AM
thanx Felix, but i inspected both brown connectors (as i just happened upon your old thread at the time of my issue) and they look good. i doubt it's a coincidence that my one wire fried and my battery stopped charging all of the sudden because of the brown connectors...so i'm betting on a component being fried, too (likely the rectifier...or the stator, in your case). from what i've read, the 11.6v recharge rate is way too low for the brown connector issue alone (although i may need to do the Futura mod as well after i find the main culprit to get it up to spec). i'll post results when i get time to diagnose it...just been too busy to check it out.

Felix Da Cat
04-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Good luck, it can be a little frustrating at times.

You can check that the alternator is okay, by measuring the resistance between windings and windings to ground. Then with the alternator disconnected, put a voltmeter between the phases in AC mode, and check that you get around 75VAC between phases at around 4k rpm (PS. watch the fingers... it can bite a little :D )

CrankyGypsy
04-22-2006, 03:41 PM
haha. thanx for the helpful tips.