PDA

View Full Version : Map 2

ila1000
08-14-2005, 06:31 PM
I've had the postman delivering a big box with an Akrapovic full system this weekend!! :lover:

One of the things that I am wondering about is what to do with the O2 sensor. I have been reading this (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34453) and I conclude that I should still mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust, right? What I don't understand then is why the bike would run lean with MAP 1 as is pointed out in several topics. Since MAP 1 is a closed loop map, should the O2 sensor not take care of that?

Can I expect any problems there since I obviously don't have an Axione and I will need to ride to the dealer after installing the new exhaust to have MAP 2 enabled.

Are there any other recommendations you guys can give me or other things that I should be aware of?

Catatonic
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I had the exact same question. My dealer told me the the ecu with the o2 sensor WOULD compensate for the open pipes without doing anything to the ecu mapping. But from what everyone here who has tried it says, you need to switch to map 2.

Kiwi_M5
08-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Keep the sensor plugged in and go to Map 2 if you core your cans (or replace them). The compelling reason to change map will be to remove the performance hindering emmission crap in the middle of the rev range on map 1.

You can run the bike on map1 with mod exhaust it seems (search here .. some lazy barstards have clocked up 000's of k's / m's), but performance will be better on map 2.

hakan_olsson
08-15-2005, 04:05 AM
What I don't understand then is why the bike would run lean with MAP 1 as is pointed out in several topics. Since MAP 1 is a closed loop map, should the O2 sensor not take care of that?

Yes and No. It's a narrow band sensor that operates in the lambda 1.0 region only. That's fine and a lot of engines work that way - cars and bikes. 1.0 is fine at low power. At higher power setings, this is to lean for many reasons. 0.85-0.90 would be much better. The stock sensor can't, and isn't supposed to read richer values than very close to 1.0. At higher power(TP and rpm) the ECU now jumps out of the closed loop mode, into something else. Whatever that is - it's not able to self-adjust to that richer Lambda. You need to switch to another program.

clarkie49
08-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Hakan and Kiwi are right, the bike will run but the ECU will lean the bike out to run at 14.7:1, max power is at around 12.8-13.2:1 so you wont be making the most of the pipes you bought.

ila1000
08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is there any necessity for synchronizing the throttle bodies or setting CO levels after mounting the Akra exhaust and switching to map 2? I haven't had any issues with stock exhaust and map 1; the engine always was very smooth (albeit with a dip at 6000 ofcourse).