PDA

View Full Version : Stalling problem.

Floyde
08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Not really sure what the problem is here…
Ever since I’ve had this bike the idle has been terrible… it bounces around and never settles at a constant idle. This problem gets worse when I’m pulling up to a stop sign and sometimes give the engine a rev, it will rev but then drop right down and stall.. This happens frequently enough to make me stop giving the bike a blip when approaching stops/giveways and the like. When I connect the powercommander this problem goes away.. the idle is still shakey and not settled but it doesn’t stall when blipping the throttle.. at all. Thing is, I’m gonna stick a zero map on the PC3 as I haven’t yet had it properly mapped for my bike and its making the bottom end grumpy.. but if I zero map it I’m guessing the stalling will come back..
What is causing the stalling? The idle is set at around 1250 I believe.

kaillum
08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
mine has a similar lumpy idle.. and will occasionally cut out at the lights as if its being starved of fuel... Mine is totally stock... no add ons (yet ;) )

I just assumed it was a 'feature' of the bike.. coming from an 600 IL4 to a Big V i've had nothing to compare it to..

Its not really a problem for me.. the tickover is around the same as yours (1250ish)..

mine suffers from more of a dip around the 5-5500k mark.. I assume this is the environmental dip that's caused by the cats and map 1.... first thing i'm gonna try is get a decent set of cans on there and map 2 to see if this clears it out...

aprillia
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
My bike used to do the same until early summer when I had the latest ignition map installed and CO values set once again. Now the bike hasn't stalled at traffic lights anymore. The idle is still somewhat uneven but it does not bother me. I have the Aprilia titanium cans on the bike.

RZRob
08-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Amauri cured mine, which did the EXACT same things, under the EXACT same conditions. He did all his stuff with the Axione and balanced the throttle bodies. He knows what he's doing (methodical and a perfectionist). Plus he races/rides the Apes too.

I can't speak for him, but Floyde, if you sponsered him for the Manx TT, I'll bet he'd bring his Axione and tune your bike for no extra charge :lame: .

RZ Rob
Couple pics from my 2000 TT visit: Phillip McCallum living TT legend and the legendary late David Jeffries (cat ate picture).

hass
08-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Mine idles fine and has never even threatened to die at lights. It does however require a little gas to pull away as otherwise the revs drop too much when I start releasing the clutch. It died twice on me this way till I got used to it.

Mines a totally stock 04 with the new mapping but haven't had the clutch or brake work done yet (next Friday it's getting everything done at the same time as the 600 mile service).

RZRob
08-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Didn't get the pics to show and that wasn't the smilie I wanted either. I'm obviously :lame:

Amauri knows his stuff. Hopefully you can get someone over there with the Axione that does too.

RZ Rob :peace:

X-CBR MAN
08-12-2005, 04:11 AM
No problems with idle ever.

ffkevinking
08-12-2005, 07:35 AM
same problem and like the other guy said it the map and your throttle bodies. No doubt mine did the exact same thing got it custom mapped and the throttle bodies adjusted correctly and it's like magic. Huge difference once you get thesee things worked out.

Reubens32
08-12-2005, 09:57 AM
1. Throttle bodies need to be balanced via AXONE tool. ( Dealer only ).

2. The bike needs to be hooked up to an exhaust gas analyzer to measure the CO levels.

3. If you have aftermarket pipes. Load the latest MAP 2.

I had these 3 items done to my bike and all the stalling has gone away completely. The key is to find an individual who knows what they're doing.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Here's a post from RollinFast John

2. Have them attach an exhaust gas analyzer up to your bike and make sure your CO levels are where they should be, with less than a 1% differential between the two. They should be as follows (below).

Stock map or Engine Version 1: 1 - 1.5%
Open Pipes map or Engine Version 2: 2 - 4%

Cylinder Pressures (HPA) +-50 HPA With front clinder having
greater pressure

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or try this link

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=44501

apriliadreamer
08-13-2005, 10:17 AM
My bike did the same things when it was new. Rough idle, stalling at stops, stalling at real low speeds! When I had the new mapping loaded at the first service, it hasn't happened again!

CREWZN
08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
i have map 2 loaded, K&N adn cored pipes, have had this problem ever since map 2 put on, i think it may be TPS related but my TPS is acurate i found at right temp if the throttle is on just a hair it will almost die out like it is rich. just add PCIII and it seems better, need to have TB balanced, and new plugs going in now to (not related just time), PCIII although i have not had time to get custom map seems to make VAST improvement.

Floyde
08-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Thats the way mine is set up.. map 2, cored pipes.. the PC3 does help things and cures teh stalling but it just runs rough at the bottom around town cause I aint had it mapped yet... but my only concern is that its a problem that should be sorted rather than masking over it with a PC3 if ya knwo what I mean...