PDA

View Full Version : Tire warmers - method/temperature/regulation?

Kristian_AUS
08-11-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm looking into buying a set of tire warmers, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the differing types, the price, and the reviews I've read.

Basically, from what I've seen there are three basic types

1) those that use a heated wire to warm the tire
2) carbon/graphite "mats"(?)
3) and those that warm silicon pads

From what I can gather, the silicon type look the best as there aren't any heated wires from what I can see - a silicon mat gets heated and brings the tire evenly up to temperature without any hot spots.

Then there's the question of temperature - some have regulation options, some have a fixed temperature, normally 176 F. Others bring the tire up to 140 F and 15min before the session you flick a switch to bring them up to 176 F. Is it bad to constantly have the tire at 176 F between sessions at a trackday from morning till evening, or should the temperature be dropped between sessions to keep the tire from drying out?

Any info about type of warmers, individual brands, temperature regulation etc would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently looking at a set of Heat Pro's (they use the silicon mats) for about $340, or a set of TTSL's (using the wire method) for $410.

Whoops, posted this in the wrong forum - meant to post in the racing forum - mods, can you delete this thread?