PDA

View Full Version : How long should it take to 'tidy up' an existing PC3 map?

scott2ride
08-10-2005, 08:55 PM
My Factory is still at the shop getting my existing PC3 custom map re-tweaked to account for my shortened pipes.

It went on the dyno at 9.30 this morning and they tell me it will be ready in half an hour, at 2.15. But "fuck me dead if Im lieing!", thats over 4 1/2 hours of mapping time.... just to touch up the existing map.

Now admittedly, the front and rear cylinders are mapped seperately, so it will take longer than a single map. But bloody hell. I would have thought a full new map could have been done faster!

Whats your thoughts?

Silver-Bolt
08-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Wild guess but the shop is charging you by the hour? It certainly sounds like an incredibly long time on the dyno. I have personally not tuned one but have some experice tuning turbo cars with much more complex tuning parameters. A tough turbo car will usually take about 60-90 minutes starting from a base map. I know car vs bike but you get the idea.

scott2ride
08-10-2005, 10:16 PM
yep they charge by the hour... funny that!

Trouble is, they probably DID take that long. I just dont want to pay for inept ability on the dyno persons part (if they are slow or not very good!)

He may be a bloody genius, ...we'll see.

Kiwi
08-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I think it should take 20hrs Scott,especially for you seeing they Love you sooo much !!! That's my old girl sitting in the show room unloved.

scott2ride
08-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey Darren

I saw her there. You've got a KTM superduke now eh!

Give me the gossip!

hakan_olsson
08-12-2005, 08:10 PM
4 days now. Should be done by now. How did it go? Please, make a detailed report. :p:

Kiwi
08-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Gidday Scott,2500km's into ownership now and loving it, So are my mates on their faired sports bikes who can now catch me and pass me except I was deceiving them a little as it was a windy day and I was wearing a rain jacket that felt like a parachute,they're in for a shock when I've got the full face and tight jacket on though.Set the suspension to the sports setting and seems to make a difference. It's going to take me a little longer to get used to her,putting my trust in the front end when pushing her in the tight stuff,but it will come !!! I've already been isssued with 2 speeding infringements in a 7 day period (first week of ownership) both times coming back fm. Auckland,first day of ownership and after first service,both cops had serious attitude.75 degrees sounds horn through the Akrapovics,yeah baby,hooked my 1st,first-second gear change wheelie the other day,it does encourage a little hoolanganism though,but hey I'm to young to grow up yet.Looks like AMPS have my money (service wise) for the next couple of years again.That's my old Falco @ AMPS aswell. Have a most excellent day. :rambo:

fatchance999
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Gidday there, I had a test blat on the KTM 990 at AMPs with the bloody load Akrapovics, My 2004 Aprilia was getting re-maped for the Arrow cans so took the KTM for a few hours to keep up with my mates. Kinda feels very naked up front but would of loved to given it a blast in my playground of the East Coast roads here in Bay of Pleny.
Was tempted i must say but brought the Aprilia back home ha ha. :peace:

scott2ride
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Darren I saw your Falco there, thats how I found out you got the SuperDuke.
And FatChance999, You are obviously based in the BOP. Send me a PM with your contact details and I will let you know when we are heading down your way, and maybe you can hook up for a ride. We do the Coromandel loop every now and again too.

Ok, back the the Dyno runs.

All a but sad really.... I lost power :crybaby:

My original run was on the same Dyno and was 10 mths ago at 1,500 km. I had the PC3 and map then. So it should have loosened up since then....

.....should have!

10 mths ago it was SAE 126.16hp, done 1500km and temp was 34.9 Celcius (so with high temp hp should be 'down')

Now with the same map its 122.5hp, done 15,000km and temp 24 Celcius (Hp should be UP cos it's cooler and bike has loosened up fully).

In theory hp should be up.... but it's not..

The only difference between the 2 runs is I have cut my cans down by 4.5 inches, so they are shorter. They are still the same cores, just shorter. But I would not have expected this result. I expected possibly a slight loss in midrange, but a gain up top. ????

But even so, I do not think cutting the cans down would lose 4hp, especially as she now has all those miles on her.

I then got the map redone to suit the short cans as the a/f ratios were all over the place with the short ones. (This also seemed strange. I expected the a/f to be out with the short cans as it was mapped with the long ones. But I wouldnt have thought it would get big ups and downs in the curve. I expected it to be a bit leaner or richer, but consistently lean OR rich accross the revs)

Anyway, I got it remapped and lost another 1 hp :D

But the a/f now looks good front and rear and I think it lost 1 hp because the run at the begininning of the day was at 24 Celcius and 122.5hp. The final run was 31.5 C and 121.5 hp.

The sad thing is that it seems weaker in the midrange now when comparing it to a mates Hyabusa in roll-ond in 6th at 110kph. I used to slightly pull away, now he does.

On the positive side the TBs got rebalanced and it feels bloody smooth and there is no on/off throttle choppyness.

Kiwi
08-15-2005, 03:46 PM
The Falco (someone bought it and did 10000km's on it and traded her on a 04) is what I traded in on the R which I did 43000km's in just over 3yrs,so that makes 2 of my ex bikes sitting there unloved.Fatchance, the Supe Duke makes heaps of sense on our lovely West Coast Roads down here.Where abouts on the East Coast are you.I've a mate in Rotorua and we did a East Coast trip a couple of years ago,went through the Gourge and then through the Gentle Annies between Gisborne and Waiora down to Napier and accross the real Gentle Annies,I didn't enjoy the 60km's of gravel mid summer on the R,it was like riding on ball bearings,I think we did about 900km's that day. :cigar:

scott2ride
08-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Im still Auckland based. We did the east cape about 4 months ago. Did it as a 2 day ride from auckland, and arround the Coromandle too.

Great ride to and very little road works.

Im doing the Cold Kiwi Rally in 3 weeks. 3rd & 4th September. How about you?

Kiwi
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm saving my pinga's to go to the MotoGP @ Phillip Island Scott. The cold Kiwi is not my sort of Rally,Iv'e done a few over the years, first one in 89 @ the old site,besides I spent 18mths in that part of the country,no not in the Rangipo prison but the one down the Road in Waioru. :cheers:

scott2ride
08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
The food id no better in the other 'prison' down the road.

Philip Island will be a blast. I must get there one day too.

I've been to the Cold Kiwi probably about 15 times now. Fortunately the new site is alot warmer! :D
I used to go with my best friend every year. Sadly he died a wee while ago. I've got some of his old gear and an army overcoat that he always wore at the Cold Kiwi, so it's kind of a tradition now to go there and take his stuff along, for old times sakes. I have a few drinks with him (so to speak) and a lot of laughs.

fatchance999
08-17-2005, 04:05 AM
My turf is Ohope, over the hill from Whakatane, so the East coast is but a tick away. Cant say ive ever been to a Cold Kiwi. Didnt want to go to find out why ive never been ha ha, :chillpill , mind you the trip back from Taupo a couple weekends ago was bloody freezing but LOVED the warm air on the legs mmmmmmmm,

Kiwi
08-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Fatchance, used to spend all my summer holidays when I was a kid in Ohope.Your right about the cold Kiwi,it's obviously a special time for Scott,it's a bloody awesome site if the weather is fine,nothing like getting up in the morning with Ruapehu right in your face. I cheated afew years ago,I've a mate in Rangatau (back towards Ohakune) and went to the rally for the day and left and went back to Ohakune and checked out all the ski bunnies,sad I know ,but I don't get out much.