PDA

View Full Version : '06 Pegaso 650 Strada shown at Laguna

Marketing Dept.
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
If you were at the Moto GP races at Laguna Seca July 7-10, you may have seen the new Pegaso 650 Strada on display at the Aprilia tent. Kind of a motard model, the Strada has a 659cc single with about 50 ft lbs of torque and 50 horses. It weighs appx 340 lbs, has a 30.1 in seat height, 5 valves and dual exhaust. The MSRP should fall between $7000 and $7500.

We are considering bringing in the new Pegaso for '06, what do you think?

LostinBoston
07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
I love it, but already have an 02 BMW Dakar so ill wait for the SXV.

thunderex
07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
that's a great looking bike. but the sxv just has my attention and it won't let go!

beansoup
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
It's a cool bike - I said as much when I filled out your little form at Laguna Seca - but it should be just under, rather than just over, 7 grand. At $7500 you're far too close to obviously superior machinery like the ZX-6, and the cachet of having something cool and different isn't going to tempt entry-level riders to soend an extra $1500 like it does the rest of us. They'll keep on buying SV650s and the like, and why shouldn't they? Say, $6800, a comfortable distance below the I-4 600s, and around the price of its obvious competition, the Monster 620. But that's just if you want to sell bikes...

velocityjunky
07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
it would be a great bike for new riders, but for me i would rather have the full supermoto experience on a sxv.

and thats the issue i see.. not too many new riders are gonna plop down 7k

XPADREX
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I am not a new rider- I've been on two wheels for 25 of my 24 years.

I'm recently "rediscovering" some of the joys of bikes that might be smaller, and might be a bit less powerful- and I'm not alone.

Speed limit restrictions, and the reaslities of family life make having a bike that can be worked in the "0-90 mph playground" essential.

A bike like this could utilize all of it's gears, offer comfortable ergos, and an alternative perhaps to it's long-lost kin, the BMW F-series.

That said, it wouldn't hurt for Piaggio/Aprilia to buy some market share. By that, I mean price this bike (if possible, due to Euro-Dollar issues) at the $6499 mark, MAX.

There is nothing radically "new" about the Strada- especially when one looks at the powertrain.

This would be a great way to put asses on Aprilia seats.

I say, BRING IT!

(And buy all means, bring that tasty 550 here as well)

:cathat:

benya
07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
This wasn't a choice, but for my next Aprilia, if its a smaller bike, I would wait for the 600cc I-4 supersport I keep hearing about. Or the 550 V-Twin RS250 replacement...

Imagine a CBR/GSXR/ZX/YZF or even SV killer that came stock with Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes and OZ wheels.... Sweet.. :worship:

Of course I can't wait to see what the new Mille will look like either.

FalcoLion
07-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I am not into this kind of bikes but if its any interest to your I will put my 2 cents. As it stands right now Aprilia USA has almost non-existant share of the market. Bringing another model and having it perform successfuly requires a decent amount of cash (promos, ads, demo, etc). Ask yourself a question if Aprilia Spa-Piagio and Aprilia USA ready to keep support (I mean keep customer interest) going? If the answer is yes, I would say bring it on but with a condition of being priced in mid to high $6K. If Aprilia Spa-Piagio and Aprilia USA are willing to do so, you might have a very decent market performer and an excellent competitor to a Ducati Monster 620. I think if you play an exclusivity card as well as excellent lineage/tradition of racing mixed with Italian design beauty description you might have a decent market performer. I am sure you are not expecting a stampeed but it will definately widen the audience/ownership base. SVX is an awesome bike for a very hot segment and if you guys do not overprice, it will be hard to keep on the dealership floor. I am persoanally looking forward to your 550cc V-Twin replacement for RS250. Again pricing is a big isssue in USA with a funcky engine size (550cc is less than 600cc or 749cc). Price it just below Ducati 749 for base model and then do a step up model for some more $$. Again if you do an analogy with what Lexus did when they came to these shores then Aprilia name will be associated with a premiun quality super prestigious motorcycle. I would go even further and say that Ducati will still be regarded highly but unless they can clean up quality control will have its reputation tarnished with quality issue/reliability. As it stand now Aprilia motorcycles are considered extremely reliable by everyone who owes them. All you got to do is pretty simple - parts availability and their timely delivery (1 week or so will be awesome), fix small niggles and keep the quality control. Listen to your owners sometimes we know when there is a problem (rear brake, clutch bleeding??!).

In my opinion as it stands right now Aprilia name is upcoming and being recognized more and more. Expansion into different market segment is a good thing.

Sorry if I ranted too much but like I said its my 2 cents

go_modem_go
07-14-2005, 04:47 AM
That said, it wouldn't hurt for Piaggio/Aprilia to buy some market share. By that, I mean price this bike (if possible, due to Euro-Dollar issues) at the $6499 mark, MAX.Wouldn't be possible without some losses. List price is a whopping € 6878.- (US$ 8313.-) in Germany, more in Italy, UK and France, although that includes VAT tax (16% here). If you get it for $7k, you'll be lucky!

I've been on a '05 Strada yesterday at my local 'prilla dealer - it's a sweet & nimble little bike, and some of the expensive components make it stand out from the competition. Sourcing the engine from Yamaha makes it pretty expensive as well, since the XT660X is a direct competitor - Aprilia must target a slightly higher-end market to get the engines, much like MZ (who use the older 5-valve version of the 660cc mono lump).

FYI: Aprilia buys the 660cc 4-valve XT engine with fuel injection from Yamaha to fit into the strada, rather than the previous 650cc Rotax. I have that engine in its older, carburetted 5-valve version in my Belgarda SZR660 - it's a gem, and the new injection system has made it much more usable at lower revs!

Factory Supermotos are a craze on the European market, i.e. Yamaha XT660X, Honda FMX650, KTM 660SMC & LC4 SM's, MZ Baghira, and many others.

Compared to the Yamaha, the Aprilia is cheap: € 6750.- for the XT-X, same engine, but it's heavier, without Brembos, OZ wheels and the nice looks and colours from Aprilia. Judge for yourself, here are the pics.

Yamaha XT660X, Honda FMX650:
http://www.yamaha-motor.de/Images/2005_XT660X_Photo_02_tcm37-51105.JPGhttp://www.honda.de/images/mc/ovw/ubersicht_fmx650_2005.jpg

'05 Aprilia Strada:
http://www.aprilia-aktiv.de/images/modelle/73_detail.jpg
http://www.aprilia.fi/kuvat/moottoripyorat/pienet/pegaso650p.jpg
http://autos.goo.ne.jp/autos/img/special/s/ms2005/data/img_l/aprilia/IMG_0126.jpg

In the twisties and cramped European inner cities, these type of bikes are way more fun than any boring 600, and a lot more nimble than the great 650cc Suzis V2's. I don't know whether they make sense in the US (grid-designed cities with large streets rather than traffic jammed cobbled streets from roman times), but they really have a market in Europe. I'm thinking myself of getting a 05 strada when they become available used (to replace my SZR660 as a 2nd bike next to the Falco).

My message to Aprilia: Export them!

XPADREX
07-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Ok! Ok! I'll pay the higher tag!!

Just bring it!!

:lover:

As a suggestion to "Marketing Department"- if you haven't already, place this poll on advrider.com.

While this is an APRILIA forum, that's an ADVENTURE forum- which means that people who own KLR650s, G650s, BMW GS's, Suzuki VStroms, etc. etc., and therefore are already into this type of bike, might be vetted as to the likelihood of their jumping over to the Aprilia ship.

XPADREX
07-14-2005, 07:05 AM
One other thing- the option to "wait for the street legal SVX550" is misleading, however- for two reasons.

1. It suggests that a street-legal 550 is in the works, or in imminent production. Is this true?

2. There is no offering of price- if it were significantly higher, that might have an impact on voting.

I also want to add that go modem go did a good job of explaining some of the features/benefits on the Strada- some components I wasn't aware of. More elaboration on this topic and a better description of what's on the Strada would be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, make sure some form of pannier system is available.

olie
07-14-2005, 07:22 AM
THis bike will be in direct competition with the BMW F650, MultiStrada 620 and V-Strom 650. Check the prices of the competition and you will see that $7000 will be a fair and competitive price. Even 7500 is not out of line.

Another reason to bring it, it is nothing on Aprilia line between the the scooters and the liter bikes.

BTW, Aprilia has experience with the Breva 750, roughly within the price range. Beatiful bike, although too small for me. Why don't we see more of those on the US streets? Is it just a lack of american taste or bad marketing from Guzzi/Aprilia??

Last but not the least important, why not an equivalent thread on the other forums for the future replacement the Capo, Falco and Futura ??? Do you want to lose the few customer you have??

buck000
07-14-2005, 08:06 AM
If it's a choice between a streetable 550 v-twin motard (which I think is AWESOME looking (and performing, probably)) and the Pegasso Strada, I'd personally say do the 550.

If that's not an option, then I say bring the Pegaso Strada. The more I look at it, the sweeter it looks. Seat looks to be pretty comfy for extended rides to the More Fun Places.

Oh, and THANKS for asking on this forum. It's nice to see an attempt to more directly interact with the aprilia junkies around here... :cool:

go_modem_go
07-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Why don't we see more of those on the US streets? Is it just a lack of american taste or bad marketing from Guzzi/Aprilia??It's propably the former (although it's not only taste, but also regulatory environment, see below...).

There are SOOO many bikes the US is missing out on, including many Japanese brand bikes (see Yamaha XT660X, MT-01, SZR660, etc.), due to a lack of potential market and/or the prohibitive expense needed to pass DOT/EPA approval...

US customers seem to be predominantly into bad-ass iron lump cruisers/choppers on one hand (nearly 50% Harley market share! :rolleyes: ), and state-of-the art race-replics on the other hand. Add a few Tourers and Sport Tourers, and that's it basically. Doesn't leave a lot of room for other niche markets except for hardcore-offroad bikes and ATV's (which sell extremely well in the US).

The European bike market seems to be a lot more fragmented and manufacturers have to cater to many niche markets in order to shift large numbers - the choppers/cruiser market is a small niche in itself (Harley only has 6% market share in Europe), so I suppose this leaves more room for the many Supermotos, Streetfighters, 650cc 2 cylinders, Maxi-Scooters and smaller bikes.

Also, the strict EU step-up driving licence laws really help to sell medium-sized 50hp mono bikes:

All of the 650cc class bikes are available as 34hp restricted versions, for the crowd that by law has to spend 2-3 years on a 34hp bike before passing the "unlimited" driving licence 3 years later. Many just keep the bike afterwards and derestrict it. A 34hp restricted Strada is a lot more fun than a restricted 600cc race replica à la R6 or a muted 34hp Fat Boy (yes, they sell 34hp restriction kits for pretty much any bike, inlcluding Harleys and 120hp R6's!)

A similar regulatory market push is found in the abundance of the 125cc class bikes for 16-18 year olds.

JoeKher
07-14-2005, 08:45 AM
If you are willing to step up and promote the product (advertising, product support, parts support) bring it.

If you are just going to dump it on dealers floors and ignore it, then forget it!

Don't just abandon the bike like you did with the Capo/Futura. Dealers who won't order them or don't know how to sell them are not your friends. Work with your good dealers and get tougher on your bad dealers to support the brand and try to rebuild the Aprilia brand reputation that is tarnished/destroyed.

You have great bikes, and we as owners know this. Nobody else knows what an Aprilia is. Those are the people you need to reach out and touch :crowbar: !

Aprilia needs a sub liter bike for entry level riders. The RSV450/550 will sell well. The Supermotos will sell well (if priced right). Unfortunatly here in the states we don't have the "step up" program for liscences and never will. That would help move the smaller machines.

You will not sell a ton of them at any prices. So don't bring a ton of them if you do bring them.

irdave
07-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I saw it- seems pretty cool- but I don't like the seat/tail section. I don't like the stepped seat, and it seems a little wide. Maybe if the seat was smooth front to back and a little narrower- more (a little) motard...

And anyone have any idea who the guy at the booth was with the glasses? The wife wanted to say thanks about the Femmoto.com lead...

bbluemm
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I sat on it and it felt awesome, seating/handlebars were just right. I think it looks great too, but if I had a choice between it and the SXV, I'd take the SXV. I love V-twins, unless the come from Wisconsin. But I think alot of 1st time riders might find it perfect, and alot of people are looking at bikes here in California because of the gas prices. I think Suzuki is selling alot of Dr400's to new riders lately, the Pegaso isn't that much more money, but looks so much cooler! Bring it on.

mille-ryan
07-15-2005, 02:14 AM
I saw that bike at the aprilia tent and thought it looked excellent.Just enough flair to set it apart from the crowd.I say brink back the BLUE MARLIN dammit :lover:

go_modem_go
07-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Incidentally, make sure some form of pannier system is available.Aprilia has just released a full accesory range for the Pegaso Strada:

http://www.aprilia.com/portale/ita/img_access/pegaso/pup.jpg
Strada accessories (http://www.aprilia.com/portale/ita/img_access/pegaso/PEGASO_ACC_150605.pdf)

Apart from the obligatory EU-market 25KW/34hp restriction kit, this range is really interesting, I wished they had some of this for the Falco:

- Fast-click luggage panniers and rack system
- Bagster-like tank-coverage system with foldable top and one-click tank bag (both the bag and the cover is a very clever design, since the Pegaso has an large luggage compartment inside the tank)
- two different sized top-cases
- Adjustable windscreen
- 3cm higher seat for larger people
- Adjustable brake lever (well, actually the same one we have on Mille's / Tuono's / Falcos etc. The Noale bean counters could have made this mass-manufactured Brembo part standard)

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4263/stradatankbag1wx.jpg

Later this season there will be more:

- Supermotard spoke wheels
- Carbon parts
- Akrapovic cans (on a thumper - yeeehaaa!)
And hopefully an Öhlins, since the Strada has a basic Sachs unit like the Falco's as standard

This bike really grows on me - if only I had enough cash & some spare room, I'd take it as my 2nd / 3rd bike anytime.

Not related to the Strada, but in case these Piaggio news havn't yet been announced here:

- In order to compete with the successful Honda Hornet and Yamaha Fazer, Aprilia is developping a 600cc four cylinder engine. Planned released in 2006.
- No more Aprilia participation in the Moto GP :crybaby:
- Aprilia is supposed to cover medium and large bikes, as well as some scooters in the future, Derbi to produce the smaller bikes
- Future participation in the Superbike, a 3 or 4 cylinder Superbike is currently being developed. Concentration on 125 and 250cc classes (with Derbi?) and Supermoto / Enduro / Moto Cross. Leo Mercanti to lead the Sporets activities.
- Street legal Supermoto and Enduro version of the SXV to be released in automn (that's known)
- Moto Guzzi and Laverda are up for sale, Piaggio doesn't see and economic benefit of keeping Laverda. Ducati is not interested.

My source is an interview with the new bosses Rocco Sabelli and Leo Mercanti in MO magazine (http://www.v2bike.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=454&Itemid=2)

GeoR
07-15-2005, 07:56 AM
An Aprilia 600 L4 ??? In Europe it may have a price advantage over the Japanese but here in the US it's the thoughest, most volatile market ....kind of like competing with motpgp if you get my drift.

Where's a 100hp/sub 400 lbs Vtwin????? :bangwall:

go_modem_go
07-15-2005, 08:37 AM
An Aprilia 600 L4 ??? In Europe it may have a price advantage over the JapaneseIt doesn't say whether it's a l4 engine. Aprilia won't and never will have a price advantage over any Jap, even in Europe - they must cater for the individualist crowd wanting Italian style and European components on their bikes.

However, the highly succesful 600 - 650cc Hornet / Fazer / SV / Bandit allround naked street bike market (not R6-type race replicas, where the hp wars are raging!) is currently relatively deserted by European manufacturers, well, ok there is the aging and overpriced Duc Mini-Monster 620 and the ugly Triumph Speed Four 600... :rolleyes:

Makes sense to me for Aprilia to launch an 80-98hp allrounder, especially if it offers something different (like a twin maybe?). There is still the BMW 600-800cc inline twin project, in which Aprilia is involved from a logistical point of view (the BMW T600-800 are supposed to be assembled in Noale). Maybe they were talking about that? However, it's all speculation - let's wait and see.

monoi3
07-15-2005, 09:07 AM
I agree with that, Aprilia is not in the same market as mass produced japanese bikes, but more like BMW and it I think those guys are doing pretty well.

That said, it does bring a lot more responsibility when it comes to customer support in all its guises.

Good on them to ask on this forum.

Pascal

Smoke Eater
07-15-2005, 09:08 AM
I met you at our hotel and came by your booth to check out the bike but I didn't fill out the form.

My thoughts are that its a great looking bike. Having already made the decision once to buy a Pegaso I can say that they are great bikes and very useful.

The problems with the Pegaso were sketchy fuel injection, limited accessories, and finding a rear hugger. The hugger was particularly annoying because this bike was ridden year round and the road salt destroyed my exhaust cans. It was a very common problem with Pegaso owners.

I noticed that the bike at Laguna had a lot of "body armor". I like the look. It looks purposeful. I also noticed nice shiny painted plastic around the lock for the seat. You should have some armor around this because it will look like crap in no time.

The big question is not how nice the bike is but is there really a market opening. BMW has done pretty well but they have a great reputation for reliable, all weather, adventure bikes. Suzuki has entered this market but they have "Japanese" reliability on their side. To me, Aprilia is an Italian exotic and even though I've already purchased a Pegaso once I'm not sure many people would jump in like that. I already had a Mille and know how well they're built and how reliable they are. I know the new one has a Yamaha engine but there is always the question of why you need to outsource a Japanese motor. How well built is the rest of the bike if Aprilia can't build a great motor? Why not just buy a completely Japanese built bike like the V Strom?

Those of us here on the forum are lunatics for Aprilias and probably couldn't have too many in our fleets. So its easy to sell another one to us.

The big question is what kind of a company is Aprilia. Are they a general manufacturer, a racing marque, ??? I believe a lot of us think of Aprilia as a racing marque that has dabbled a little in other areas. There were racing fans at Laguna Seca so the audience would be skewed toward a racing company like Aprilia. I would love to see the results of your survey from a European bike rally where there is a large sample of touring bike riders.

I almost hate to see you guys handed a bike and told to sell it. It really should work the other way where the Marketing Department tells the factory where there is an unserved market and they design a bike to fill it.

hank
07-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I'll get right to the point.... I want the 4-stroke replacement to the RS 250 as well.... in terms of displacement; 450, 500, 550 - I don't care... :)

vsgofast
07-15-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree with Hank

Smoke Eater
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Hank, they pretty much confirmed that the RSV450 or whatever it will be called, is coming out in both corsa and strada versions.

hank
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks Smoke - there has been so much speculation that until I see pictures on the official Aprilia website and there is an actual launch date, I will be somewhat suspect... :blah: :blah: :blah:

I was interested in the Blue Marlin and look where that ended up... :rolleyes:

RSVMIllenian
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
First of all Welcome to the best Aprilia web society. We finally have a confirmation that people from Aprilia read this forum. I hope they listen.

I agree with the folks from Europe, US was not a market for a 600/650/700/900 cc dual sport motorcycles. BMW has done well with its 650 due to the relatively cheap price compared to the big GS. What Aprilia should do is to listen to its owners and repair its damaged image by suppling parts in a timely fashion, making their customer service responsive to owners requests and more knowledgeble about the products they support.. Owning two Aprilias makes me a true Apriliac, however, if Aprilia does not change the way they treat its customers, I will have to take my $30K to someone else. Now that we know SXV 450/550 will hit US roads I believe that you guys at Aprilia are on the good road to make it right this time again.

Bring the Strada in the sub $7K price and tons of accesories and they will sell. After all you make more money on accesories and parts then on bikes. Bring the Cube in limited numbers, replace RS250 with a 4 stoke 450/550 engine price it around the current 600cc market and you are set. Upgrade current V-2 998 engine, get into AMA and SBK and kick some ass, that will definetely get attention and a lot of buyers.

Regards,

Dan

johnalex
07-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I would very much be in the market for the bike.
I am looking for a replacement for my commuting VFR and the Pegaso looks to fit the bill.
Would make a nice touring bike as well IMHO.
Bring it over!

mfbRSV
07-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I would definitely be interested in this bike. It is just the type of platform that would fit the bill between my 1150RT and Mille R. Would love to add it to the stable, then I could just leave the Mille setup for trackday duty only, and still have a light weight bike to go play on up in the twisties during the summer months. It would do commuter duty as well. Bring it on.

Love those non spoke wheels too! :worship:

And, since I live just up the road from Woodstock Ga., I would be more than happy to offer my services for any demo rides and report my feedback to all the folks on this forum. :burnout: :burnout:

Infallible
07-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm not into it. A big 650 single street purpose bike just doesn't hold any attraction in my opinion. In the midwest which I am most familiar with, I very very rarely see any F650 BMW's, Ducati Multistrada 620's, or Kawasaki KLR650 which are essentially part of the same pie. The majority of the BMW riders (I ride an R12GS) that I have seen and spoken with, bought their F650 because it was cheap introduction into the BMW brand.

While we all truly and dearly love Aprilia, the marketing of our beloved brand of choice stateside is nearly nonexistent. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been approached by squids on their Jap 600's asking what kind of bike is an Aprilia and who makes them, whilst riding about on my Falco. They all know what a suzuki SV650 is however. Bottom line in my humble opinion it may sell a few bikes, but it will be like the KTM Duke I. It will be considered more of a novelty bike instead of a majority share holder.

A little vtwin dual/general purpose bike on the other would be great. That is a market left relatively untouched with the absence of offerings like the smaller KTM Adventure, nothing from BMW sans the F650, and the small small portion of Japanese thumper riders. The Suzuki Weestrom 650 has been met with approval from the adventure touring, daily commuting, and occassional track day riders.

Best of luck with your decision. As a side note mentioned by another rider, the increase of parts availability would be nice in retaining owner loyalty/appreciation for the bikes they* now own instead of looking to other brands.

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 01:45 AM
THis bike will be in direct competition with the BMW F650, MultiStrada 620 and V-Strom 650. Check the prices of the competition and you will see that $7000 will be a fair and competitive price. Even 7500 is not out of line.

I have a WeeStrom (see my sig), and would consider selling/trading in to replace with an Aprilia Pegaso. FYI, I also filled out the survey while at Laguna Seca.

Mark
07-17-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm really glad to see you guys post a question like this on the forum. I'm sure you have followed many things here but to have you come out and solicit our opinions on something is great.

I've looked at the Pegaso for some time and wondered if it would ever make it over here to the US. Some of the posts that I have read about it make me wonder about the bike as a total package though. I guess I should have gone to Laguna when I had the chance this year to check out the bike in person. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about picking up a Yamaha FZ6 as a little to do all bike but the Pegaso is a definate contender for such a task.

Don't be a stranger to the forum, keep asking questions here, I'm sure you'll get lots of answers back! :cheers:

Mark
'02 Mille R
________
Iolite Vaporizer Website (http://vaporizer.org)

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 02:42 AM
It's propably the former (although it's not only taste, but also regulatory environment, see below...).

It's say it is because Aprilia, like all but Harley and Ducati, really have not learned how to "position (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071373586)" themselves yet.

What do I think should be Aprilia's positioning, IMNSHO? Here are some thoughts:

-- Imagine Italian sex appeal with Japanese Quality and German Engineering: That's Aprilia

-- Aprilia: Combining Premium Quality with Italian Passion.

-- Cross the sex of a Ducati with the quality of a Honda and what do you get? An Aprilia.

-- Premium Quality and Passion combined: Aprilia.

-- Premium Quality and Passion for those who won't settle for less: Aprilia.

-- Aprilia: One ride and you'll know.

-- Aprilia: Italian Passion without the Pain.

-- Unless you've ridden an Aprilia, a substitute is acceptable.

-- Until you ride an Aprilia, you can be happy elsewhere

-- Ride an Aprilia and you'll never accept less

-- Don't Settle: Aprilia

-- Want it all? Aprilia

-- Aprilia: Italia's best kept motorcycling secret.

-- Aprilia: The best kept secret in motorcycling.

-- Never ridden an Aprilia? Ignorance is Bliss.

Of course, only ONE positioning will work, so if Aprilia is to adopt any of my ideas (or anyone else's) and/or establish a positioning, them must use it exclusively and stick with it a long time.

BUT what Aprilia really needs to do is establish a mystique around Aprilia where Aprilia riders can feel part of an "exclusive" community superior by nature of their brand selection: Harley and Ducati have done it; Aprilia should do the same. That means not only should Aprilia define who it is for, they should also define who they are not for, and they should define in such a way that it will be hard for others to share that position. i.e. they need to position themselves against Harley (Aprilia riders are serious riders, not posera), against Ducati (Aprilia riders don't accept headaches and are not posers), against BMW (Aprilia riders won't sacrifice style and are not posers), and against Japan (Aprilia riders won't accept less than premium quality and are not posers.)

Essentially, Aprilia needs to empower owners to consider themselves superior to owners of other bikes; that may sound distasteful, but it's marketing and it' effective.

I hope they do. Aprilia;s are the best (followed closely by KTM), and it's a damn shame more people aren't riding them.

ADVriderJurgen
07-17-2005, 02:48 AM
As XPADREX said, check on ADVrider.com---there is a huge thread there on the new Buell Adventure Bike...I think this bike could surpass the Buell--lighter weight, yammie engine, Aprilia quality.

I know it is positioned as a SuperMotard, but really with the accessories that are already available it would make a superb dirt road/rough road adventure bike. Bring it--I'd buy one.

Jurgen

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 02:49 AM
If you were at the Moto GP races at Laguna Seca July 7-10, you may have seen the new Pegaso 650 Strada on display at the Aprilia tent. Kind of a motard model, the Strada has a 659cc single with about 50 ft lbs of torque and 50 horses. It weighs appx 340 lbs, has a 30.1 in seat height, 5 valves and dual exhaust. The MSRP should fall between $7000 and $7500.

We are considering bringing in the new Pegaso for '06, what do you think?

I think this could be an excellent track day bike. Any change of you sponsoring a racing series for it? Mere mortals could race it and not fear they'll kill themselves while doing so. :D

go_modem_go
07-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Aprilias are the best (followed closely by KTM), and it's a damn shame more people aren't riding them.Especially in the light of the fact that hundreds of thousands of young future European motorbike riders start on Aprilia 50cc's and 125cc's.

The 14-18 year olds love their Aprilias, the brand has a SUPERB reputation and desirability factor in this class, but once grown-up this clientele moves to Japanese midrange bikes because Aprilia doesn't offer anything in the 34hp-80hp 650cc allround street motorbike class (well, except the superb Pegaso / Strada, but that's an enduro / supermoto and doesn't please all).

I guess the 600cc inline bike is important for Aprilia to close the huge gap between 125cc and 1000cc street bikes, as well as the re-introduction of a RS250, Falco and Futura follow-up.

If I had to replace my Falco, it won't be an Aprilia Mille or Tuono, as these bikes just don't offer the versatility of a sporty half-faired sports tourer.

The Falco is the prime example of bad Aprilia marketing: In the minds of many bikers it is non-existant, and the type of marketing changed in due course (SL1000R sportier image of later US models, wheras many European countries had the Falco pulled from lists in 2003 :pissed: ).

Aprilia, please don't repeat these expensive mistakes!

XPADREX
07-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I just had the opportunity to sit astride the new Strada at the Aprilia section of Mid Ohio's Vintage Motorcycle Days.

There were two guys working there- while I spoke briefly to one guy, the other guy is the one I asked my questions of...

...and I swear, he had to be a BMW plant.

I mean, why else would somone have so little information about a new bike, especially one they are surveying prospective owners about?

This really, truly troubles me.

If I'd had someone, ANYONE approach a prospective bike- I'd be on 'em like flies on a rump roast- pumping up the virtues of this bike.

I'd at least know some basics, like HOW MUCH FUEL IT HOLDS.

And if I didn't? Hmmm... maybe I'd hit a Kinko's, and log-on to somewhere that did have the info. This is day three, gang!

"Passion" is something we often talk about here- frankly, I was passionate about my Capo- my recent sale of it notwithstanding- and I am actually FLOORED with my enthusiasm for my Scarabeo 500 (absent from their lineup).l

Well, how about having some passion on the corporate rep level?

Yeah, I know it was hot and muggy- but DAMN.

Now, about the Strada:

1. Comfy. The seating position and seat was made exclusively for me. That's right, me.

2. I couldn't tell, but I think the oil filter was straight-forward... heck, it even says "oil filter" on the filter cover- but the drain plug I couldn't find in my quick perusal. If it's where it should be, it's obscured by the bottom guard. No big deal.

3. I would like to see their be the potential for individual approaches to a windscreen- larger for some, none for others.

The side of the bike was decidedly UN-Aprilialike. It seemed plain, and unfinished, somehow. Not so much I wouldn't get it, but enough that it might disillusion some newbies or on-the-fencers.

Bottom line: bring it.

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 01:59 PM
The 14-18 year olds love their Aprilias, the brand has a SUPERB reputation and desirability factor in this class, but once grown-up this clientele moves to Japanese midrange bikes because Aprilia doesn't offer anything in the 34hp-80hp 650cc allround street motorbike class (well, except the superb Pegaso / Strada, but that's an enduro / supermoto and doesn't please all).

I guess the 600cc inline bike is important for Aprilia to close the huge gap between 125cc and 1000cc street bikes, as well as the re-introduction of a RS250, Falco and Futura follow-up.

I'd definitely agree that Aprilia needs a 650 class bike. Definitely. I'd love to have a SV650-equivalent but from Aprilia. Well, I'd accept a 550 if it were a lot lighter. :)

But I'd really hate to see Aprilia introduce an I4. Why? There are already four+ jap bikes in that range, a Triumph, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. It's practically impossible to differentiate in that space and I4 bikes rarely have any character (well, if you ignore the MV Agusta!)

What I'd much rather see Aprilia offer in the 650 range is a V-Twin, a Triple, or a parrallel twin like the new ER-6n (or, duh, the 800cc one Aprilia are building for BMW!) Heck, even some other unique engine type. How about a a V-Three two stroke with the DiTech emmission controls? That would smoke an I4 from Japan! Something with more character than a screaming I4.

If I had to replace my Falco, it won't be an Aprilia Mille or Tuono, as these bikes just don't offer the versatility of a sporty half-faired sports tourer.

HEY! What's wrong with my Tuono?!? It's an awesome bike. :)

Seriously though, I was looking at a Falco on eBay because it is so underrated and I thought I might be able to pick it up cheaply. :D

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 02:03 PM
1. Comfy. The seating position and seat was made exclusively for me. That's right, me.

You must be short! :) That was only one of two things I didn't like about it (but that can be fixed!) The other is being a single instead of a twin, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I ride it. If it runs good and is not too busy, then a single is okay. The journalists whose reviews I've read really liked it.

XPADREX
07-17-2005, 02:10 PM
You must be short! :) That was only one of two things I didn't like about it (but that can be fixed!) The other is being a single instead of a twin, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I ride it. If it runs good and is not too busy, then a single is okay. The journalists whose reviews I've read really liked it.

6'1". Not exactly NBA, but...

:cigar:

go_modem_go
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
3. I would like to see their be the potential for individual approaches to a windscreen- larger for some, none for others.That's why they have an adjustable, removable STRADA windscreen as an accessory.

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/2403/stradascreen4sp.th.jpg (http://img307.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stradascreen4sp.jpg)

HEY! What's wrong with my Tuono?!? It's an awesome bike. :) Seriously though, I was looking at a Falco on eBay because it is so underrated and I thought I might be able to pick it up cheaply. :DThe Falco is SUPERB value for money if you buy it nearly-new (i.e. low miles, just a bit of warranty left), which is what I did. However, be prepared to spend extra cash on an Öhlins shock from a Mille R / Tuono Factory - it makes it so much better. And some bling, like a Mille swingarm ;) Also, even new Falcos have the older Mille stock 118hp engine setup (lacks a few hp compared to stock 125hp Tuonos with changed >01 cylinder heads). But a Falco is still a lot faster than any Tuono, especially if the Falco is black! ;)

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
6'1". Not exactly NBA, but...

:cigar:

Really? I'm between 6'2" and 6'3" and all I could feel sitting on the bike was that rear hump digging into my tailbone. In my survey I suggested they offer a flat seat as an optional upgrade.

MikeSchinkel
07-17-2005, 02:20 PM
That's why they have an adjustable, removable STRADA windscreen as an accessory.

I hope it is better than the one on my WeeStrom. The Vstrom forum is abuzz with how bad the buffeting is on a VStrom, with people trying literally almost 10 different screens, and nobody saying that the buffeting goes away completely with any option, and every rider is getting a different result. It's enough for me to consider hating the bike!

But a Falco is still a lot faster than any Tuono, especially if the Falco is black!

Keep on dreamin... :cathat:

go_modem_go
07-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Keep on dreamin... :cathat:245km/h Tuono Factory, 255km/h Falco stock - and they are a few thousand dollars apart :D

NorCalRSVR
07-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't know about the target range for this bike. It's not for me, but bring it on even if in limited numbers. There are a large number of people here in NorCal who are riding F650's and WeeStroms too. I'm not sure about Peg's though but then again if you see more than one Aprilia at given place; the meeting was more likely planned than accidental. I kind of like it that way. It's kind of exclusive. Only well read and experienced motorcyclists know what an Aprilia is and of the non-motorcyle riding public I only get good remarks...specially when I take the time to explain to them about how good the machine is and how the styling is like nothing else on the road. Usually the next remark is "how does it compare to a Ducati" I have smile big when I say that Aprilia is superior. I smile even bigger when I say I don't have to spend nearly as much time in the shop so I get to ride more. I say, if people are asking then that's a start. The better impression people have when they walk away, the more probable Aprilia will have another customer. As far as this Pegaso Strada goes, I still don't know. Most people I talk to who'd like to ride or start riding again are looking for something that shows off it's engine and isn't intimidating or too expensive. Build something like that and there will be customers young and old, male and female. Just don't make it like a Buell Blast. Naked, air cooled, psuedo-retro look, comfortable and unintimidating that seems to be what most former and want to be riders tell me. Once again, I have to say good on ya, for even asking us what we think. Thank you.....sean

Smoke Eater
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Like I've written before. Is Aprilia filling a hole in the market or do they have a bike and don't know what to do with it? Square peg in a round hole? Aprilia really needs to decide what image they want and then go balls out for it. Dabbling in things has never worked for any company. The Mille was particularly successful because they went all out right from the start and amazed people....but then they let their momentum run out.

Its pretty sad to see such great products screwed up by poor management. Aprilia should have been buying Piaggio instead of the other way around.

Firebolter
07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
The 550 in a street lega package would be awesome. Right now that market is waiting to bust. Supermoto racing is getting bigger and bigger. Being a KTM lover for years, If the Aprilia Supermoto was avail, I'd buy one in a minute, if I could register it.

The 650 is nice and would compete greatly with the BMW and other mid size bikes, IF YOU ADVERTISE IT RIGHT.

Look at the Falco. Pound for Pound one of the best bikes in that class and I'm not just saying it cause I have one. But no one ever heard of them. Now when people see and ride my Falco they are friggin amazed at how great the package is.

No Aprilia needs to market these products better. Keep the price down to ~7K or a little less and advertise right, you could sell those especially to those who want something other than a BMW to look for.

Turpentine
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Pardon my french, but that Pegaso's butt ugly.
I don't see how it'd compete with the SXV for my cash.
Which I'll definitely get if it's priced on par with competing brands' SM bikes.

JJ_008
07-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I saw the bike at Laguna and its pretty nice. I am sure it will sell well in its class since it does have some really nice features about it.

But for me....A street legal SVX w/ the motard kit is on my "buy it now" list. I need that bike.....now. Hurry Aprilia!!!!!!!

knfusion24
07-22-2005, 06:38 PM
I think the 650 is a sweet looking bike, just like the style I've been looking at for a daily rider (can't be puttin all those mile on my beloved falco :happy: ) The price doesn't seem all that bad for an Italian beauty and the versatility reminds me of a Capo.. I say bring it.

As a side note, I'm surprised at all the complaints on this thread. They contacted us for our input on a future motorcycle, can't we just stay to that one topic. I'm sure they've read most of the other threads, lets stick with the topic at hand. :cathat:

:peace: Peace brothers, we're all Aprilia riders, the few the proud. (ok, so I stole it) :cathat:

MikeSchinkel
07-22-2005, 11:52 PM
The 650 is nice and would compete greatly with the BMW and other mid size bikes, IF YOU ADVERTISE IT RIGHT.

Look at the Falco. Pound for Pound one of the best bikes in that class and I'm not just saying it cause I have one. But no one ever heard of them. Now when people see and ride my Falco they are friggin amazed at how great the package is.

No Aprilia needs to market these products better.

I definitely agree. Aprilia need to do much better marketing.

HOWEVER, please be aware:

Marketing does NOT necessarily mean Advertising

Advertising is very expensive, and current leading edge thought in marketing circles is advertising is only useful to reinforce in people's mind something they already believe to be true. If Aprilia spends money on advertising in the USA, it is mostly a waste of money since most people in the USA don't know Aprilia.

Okay, so everyone says what NOT to do. People rarely provide suggestions on what TO do, so here goes some of my best midnight marketing ideas.
Stop all major print advertising in the USA and use that money to instead support the following ideas:

1.) You have a tiny marketing department and hence limited bandwidth. So the only way to make a huge impact is to use leverage in a big way. Work on the grass roots levels. Aprilia owners are passionate about Aprilias (Withness firebolters comments.) Leverage existing owners to multiply Aprilia's marketing department's bandwidth. Identify categories by bike or riding type and for each recognize "regional directors" (RDs) who are your most passionate supporters; these should *not* be dealers, they should be owners. Give these RDs a cool name recognizing and honoring them.

Call them something like Aprila Regional Special Enthusiasts, or A.R.S.E. for short...okay, scrath this one idea... :)

RDs role, whatever you call them -- Aprilia Advocates, ApriliaNuts, whatever -- would then be called on to organize various types of local events that would build community among Aprilia riders and introduce Aprilia to non-owners. In some cases, you could also have one or more dealers sponsoring the events, with Aprilia USA's additional support.

For example, have an RD organize an Aprilia track day and have a few Aprilia's on hand and available to take out. Have an RD organize an Aprilia charity ride. Or a tour. Or a dinner where someone talks about suspension setup, or, or, or...

So where do the actual ideas for implementation come from? Get the RDs to make suggestions and/or proposals and report back success or failure. Learn from them and communicate to all the RDs the more successful ones so those ideas can be tried elsewhere.

At least once per year, invite all the RD to an event where you ask their
opinions and let them ride bikes.

Sell the RDs bikes at cost, or even slightly below. Get a handful of loaner bikes and rotate them through the RDs, one month at a time, and ask for their indepth feedback and for them to be as visible in the biker community as possible during that month.

Promote these RDs as influencers to the aftermarket, and suggest to the aftermarket that they should offer the RDs samples to try for feedback, because these RDs are the local influencers.

Where would you find the RDs? Well, this forum, of course. I'm sure you can easily find 10 or more people here that are deserving and would be excellent ambassadors for Aprilia. Select geographic areas and have the forum members nominate then vote on those they feel would be the best ambassadors. (And before you think I'm trying to become one to get the googies, I'm *not* suggesting you pick me.)

2.) Look for highly visible bikers, national and regional, join forces with AF1 or Motek, Clarkie, or some of the other Aprilia specialists to build some really special one-off bikes, and then provide them to the highly visible bikers; Jay Leno would be one example. But Michael Jordan would be another. Cool people (well, Leno's not cool, but...) But in some areas, the cool people are regional, or local. But do your research and make sure the people you give to will be visible (who beside Aprilia owners know Matt Leblanc got a Nero?!?)

3.) Launch an Aprilia Rider's Group -- A.R.G. for short ;) Membership drive starts with this forum; I'll bet 90% of frequent participants here would join. Sponsor quarterly Aprilia Rider's Group rallies around the country. Promote the heck out of this forum. Provide simple incentives for people to bring their non-Aprilia buddies to the rallies, greater incentives to get their buddies to join, even greater to get them to buy an Aprilia (incentives could be "soft"; i.e. invitations to an exclusive national event, for example.)

4.) Get RDs and ARG members to sponsor local demo rides (probably at the events I mention in #1, or maybe standalone), but do it with member bikes, not with expensive showroom models that depreciate after the ride. Give those who let their bikes be used for demos a $250 gift certificate for Aprila merchandise, or toward a new Aprilia purchase. Cover insurance so that if someone trashes a member's bike, Aprilia will pay to fix it (actually, Aprilia should use re-insurance; i.e. cover the fix $XXXXX themselves and after than an insurance company would cover anything above that, which would make the insurance affordable, and Aprila can fix a broken Aprilia more cheaply than anyone else.)

I'm sure there are a lot of other ideas, but if Aprilia would do what I recommend above, I believe Aprilia would become the best selling European bike in the USA within three years.

Thoughts?

P.S. A good book to read is this vein is "The Culting of Brands" [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591840279]

pierobassi
07-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Way too expensive if compared to other similar bikes of same engine displacement. Aprilia would have hard time to sell this bike in the USA at more than $7000.

Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, Minnesota

cavender
07-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I'd love to see this bike come to the US. I like the trailie looks and these types of bikes are just a hoot to ride. Like others have said you should ensure that the price is competetive. Cagiva managed to sell over 500 of their Gran Canyons and would have done more if they were'nt in such a financial and parts supply mess.

Ricky J
07-25-2005, 04:02 PM
ARC: Aprilia Riders' Club.

Maybe "meeting" #1 should be at the Parkfield, CA breakfast (or is it dinner?) run...

MikeSchinkel
07-26-2005, 12:02 AM
ARC: Aprilia Riders' Club.

Maybe "meeting" #1 should be at the Parkfield, CA breakfast (or is it dinner?) run...

Go for it! I can't be there, living in the ATL, but it's got to start somewhere.

kaillum
07-26-2005, 03:50 AM
I've just spent a week touring on this bike covering 1300 miles in a week round Ireland (bit of land off the UK to all our US brothers!), on a mixture of smooth and 'not so smooth!' tarmac. (I had the loan of a demonstrator from my local dealer while my '04 RSV Factory was off the road)
The first thing to say is its an absolute hoon!
The bikes setup as standard is excellent - Pirelli Diablos doing the job with ease. 660cc single poping and farting on overun through the twin underseat pipes. Brembos' working their magic when needed (although the front brakes need a little bit of encouragement to haul it down from ton+ mph)
I'm 6' 4" and the wrong side of 15stone. The standard suspension setup was spot on for the roads I was covering... although a little soft at higher speed cornering and for the last 250 miles 2 up (when my wife got a puncture in her VFR800 and we had to get it recovered home :( )

The one I was on had the aftermarket flyscreen on, which is useless at anything under 80mph, but once over, a little tuck down and it really does work!.

On a private stretch of road I managed to get up to 118mph.. with me tucked under the flyscreen with my chin on the tank.. It felt a little loose at that speed.. but then again i'm used to sports bikes but no matter what I tried I couldnt get it above that!

You couldnt exactly call this an 'all day comfortable' bike.. the vibrations from the single get to you after about 100 miles.. but by 140ish I was needing to pull in for gas and a riding break anyway.. so its not really a problem.. On a steady run down the motorway (averaging about 70ish) I managed to get 160 miles out of a tank..

The underseat storage is superb.. managed to fit 4 ratchet straps, 2 disc locks, maps and 2 torches there.. as well as the tool roll! and the tank storage bit is every useful for spare change, documents and a spare ptt button for our intercom.. just be careful they dont blow away when you pop the lid to fuel up!
The only gripes about the storage is the lack of rear bungee hooks (namely Non that I could find!) and had to resort to a tailpack ratcheted to the grab rail and pillion pegs and the plastic odd shaped fuel tank which means I couldn't fit my map holder on...

First gear seems a little short, and I kept bumping the limiter with any quick get away from the lights, but this bike is all about riding the mid-range torque.. and that it does superbly! run up through the gears to anything around 50mph.. stick it in 5th and just wind the revs on.. it pulls away very cleanly in most traffic situations.. only needing a change down to 4th to overtake when 2 up..

Overall a real quality little bike.. and a total surprise to me coming from a sports bike.. Even the wife thinks its cute enough to be considered as a next purcahse (if she ever falls out of love with her VFR!)
:peace:

MikeSchinkel
07-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I've just spent a week touring on this bike...

Excellent, excellent review! Thank for taking the time to post.

Question: I have a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and love the engine but am not so happy with the rest of the bike. Would the Strada be a reasonable replacement? I worry that the single cylinder wouldn't be a smooth. I mostly use for intown, or for "back road touring" when I don't want to be a serious as I need to be to ride my Tuono.

go_modem_go
07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I have a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and love the engine but am not so happy with the rest of the bike. Would the Strada be a reasonable replacement? I worry that the single cylinder wouldn't be a smooth. I mostly use for intown, or for "back road touring" when I don't want to be a serious as I need to be to ride my Tuono.I have both a 5-valve single cylinder Belgarda-Yamaha SZR 660 and a Falco.

The Belgarda has the same base dry-sump Yamaha 660 engine than the much improved Strada.

The Strada could be a reasonable replacement of the V-Strom, but the engine (even in it's newest fuel injected and 4-valve incarnation) will not be as smooth or have the wide power range of the Suzuki 650cc V2.

A thumper is a LOT of fun though - riding the narrow torque/power wave needs a lot of shifting and some getting used to (3k-6.5k rpm), but just that great thumper sound and the low frequency vibrations are a pleasure in itself.

Compare the difference from thumper to V2 to the difference V2 vs inline-four, then you're sort of there ;)

Whilst the V-Strom has more power than the 50hp Strada, consider that it's also a heavy-weight. At approx. 210kg road-ready it's about the same than my 1000cc Falco, whereas the Strada must be some 15-20kg lighter (168kg dry).

Louge
07-26-2005, 08:36 PM
The SXV550 holds alot of appeal for me. I'm noting a significant migration of my local gray haired Italian bretheren to KTMs, VORs, DRZs, etc.

I came close to purchasing one of the beautiful new Huskies before Daytona speed week but shied away due to Certificate of Origin issues.

A balanced twin tard under 250lbs wet with 65HP in street trim ...
I look forward to owning one next spring ...

I'd focus on a Capo style adventure variant of the 450/550 engine instead of the Pegaso.
* nimble sport touring platform without the vibration
* desirable city bike due to lockable storage
* drop the bags for Sunday morning hooliganism
* eliminates Pegaso / SXV sales demographic challenges
* flexible manufacturing platform and parts standardization ala the existing Rotax 990 based designs

kaillum
07-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Question: I have a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and love the engine but am not so happy with the rest of the bike. Would the Strada be a reasonable replacement? I worry that the single cylinder wouldn't be a smooth. I mostly use for intown, or for "back road touring" when I don't want to be a serious as I need to be to ride my Tuono.

Hi Mike...

my main rides over the past 12-18 months have been a CBR6 (IL4) RGV250 (2-stroke twin) and my 04 Mille...

This was my first time on a big cc single, and first impressions within the first 30-40 miles were that it was a totally different machine to anything i'd ridden before.. the CBR6 was smooth.. very little upset it.. the RGV is a buzz machine, and only happy around the 8-12k mark.. The Strada needs to be ridden very similar to how I ride my Mille, you have to ride the torque rather than the revs.. Its not as smooth as I'd have liked it to be, but a great seat and bar weights keep a lot of the vibes away from the rider.

The only real annoying vibes I found were the mirrors were useless at anything above 50mph.. everything just shakes in the rear view... and through the pegs when pushing it higher speeds in 5th (around the 80-90mph) and the hole bike seems alive. With my wife on the back (at motorway speeds (80-90)) she was complaning that holding onto the grab rail for any length of time gave her numb hands!

I dont think this bike is really aimed at the high constant speeds that we inflicted on it for the last couple of days of our tour.. Its just so much more happier blatting about the A's, B's & twisties, riding the torque and acting like a hooligan!

It will feel a lot lumpier than your V-Storm (which I assume is a similar ride to a friends SV650 that i've ridden) but at the end of the day, its a very different machine.. and in my opinion a better machine for town work.. When you get used to the lumpyness...

If it were mine, the only 2 things that would need looking at are
1) The front brakes - Why have Aprilia scrimped on a single disc.. My RS125 had more front braking force! Dual discs would have made this a pleasure!
2) The Cans - Some decent sounding straight through cans will make this bike sound the way it should! The popping and farting on overun should be a nice wholesome sound.. not the quiet little baby fart that it is...

MikeSchinkel
07-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Mike...

It will feel a lot lumpier than your V-Storm (which I assume is a similar ride to a friends SV650 that i've ridden) but at the end of the day, its a very different machine.. and in my opinion a better machine for town work.. When you get used to the lumpyness...

Thanks for the additional details. Sounds like a really nice 2nd bike. FYI, the V-Strom engine has a much different feel than an SV650 engine albiet it is 95% the same. The V-Strom has a nice fat torque smooth curve and you can ride it really lazily which is one of its appeals as a 2nd bike. It's actually feels like it makes more torque in the 3-6k range than my Tuono. The SV650 needs to be reved a lot more and it's torque curve is not nearly as sweet, but it is a faster overall bike when ridden hard.

If it were mine, the only 2 things that would need looking at are
1) The front brakes - Why have Aprilia scrimped on a single disc.. My RS125 had more front braking force! Dual discs would have made this a pleasure!
2) The Cans - Some decent sounding straight through cans will make this bike sound the way it should! The popping and farting on overun should be a nice wholesome sound.. not the quiet little baby fart that it is...

I don't blame them for the lack of a second disk; I think it was very smart; as long as they offer a reasonably priced "second disk" kit. By leaving it off it cuts down on the initial price which is essential for a bike in this category, but making the wheel support two discs allows for later upgrade. Brilliant (or at least common sense), I say!

What I hate is bikes that offer lesser features but no easy upgrade path. Phooey!

As for the cans, well, talk to your government about that one. :)

go_modem_go
07-28-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't blame them for the lack of a second disk; I think it was very smart; as long as they offer a reasonably priced "second disk" kit. In 2006, the Strada will get an ABS system. I suppose this will be available as an add-on as well.

I'll check the Stradas for 2nd disc mounting in the Showroom of my local Prilla Stealer, gotta pick up some Falco parts there today (If they finally arrived :rolleyes: )

deanw
08-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't be possible without some losses. List price is a whopping € 6878.- (US$ 8313.-) in Germany, more in Italy, UK and France, although that includes VAT tax (16% here). If you get it for $7k, you'll be lucky!

Sourcing the engine from Yamaha makes it pretty expensive as well, since the XT660X is a direct competitor

Yamaha doesn't play in that market in the US- Aprilia may be able to get motors to be exported to the US for less than motors for sale in Europe, since it won't be competing with a Yamaha-built bike here.

Marketing Dept.
08-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Thank You!

The feedback from the Pegaso Survey was extremely valuable. While the final decision will be made in Italy, the feedback and the poll proved that this product has a place here.

Because the Aprilia Forum responded the way it did, I believe the 650 Strada is heading our way in '06!

A special thanks to AF1 as well - You guys rock.

Hampton

Star-Trek
08-17-2005, 05:06 AM
Star-Trek prova la Aprila Pegaso Strada 650

Com’è:

Bella, bella, bella!
Sentimentale e tradizionalista come sono, affezionato alla vecchia linea della Pegaso, all’inizio avevo storto un po’ il naso nel vedere questa nuova versione: la Pegaso Strada…
…Poi, vedendola dal vivo devo dire che invece mi è piaciuta moltissimo: il grande faro che forma il cupolino della moto mi fa pensare al muso di un leone, i collettori di scarico che passano lucidi e ben in vista sulla destra, e i cerchi in alluminio anodizzato blu le conferiscono un aspetto estremamente Racing! Molto accattivante!

La strumentazione è bella chiara e completa con il contagiri analogico ed un ampio schermo digitale che funge da contachilometri e fornisce tutte le informazioni possibili ed immaginabili, essendo un vero e proprio computer di bordo gestito da un comodo “mouse” collocato sul blocchetto della manopola sinistra!

Un'altra cosa che mi è piaciuta moltissimo sono i vani: quello sotto la sella, ricavato nello spazio tra gli scarichi, bello ampio e comunque mai troppo caldo, e specialmente quello piccolo sul serbatoio, che (si apre solo a chiave inserita da un bottone sul blocchetto della manopola sinistra), copre il tappo serbatoio ed offre uno piccolo vano perfetto per metterci documenti, carte, portafogli e quei maledetti spiccioli che quando ti fermi ad un casello ti costringono a spogliarti mezzo per tirarli fuori! Davvero una gran trovata! :lover:

Star-Trek
08-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Come va:

Beh, come al solito, avendo la mano abituata al mio amato bicilindrico ci metto un po’ prima di iniziare a familiarizzare con l’erogazione di una nuova moto, ma devo dire che il monocilindrico a 4 valvole che equipaggia la Pegaso Strada risponde abbastanza prontamente, ed è un piacere sentirlo borbottare mentre sale di giri o quando si scala…
Sul solito tragitto che percorro quando vado a fare i miei giri di prova, c’è un tratto misto stretto che mi sembrava completamente nuovo: la strada sembrava più larga! Complice il peso ridotto, la posizione di guida e la notevole rigidità del telaio, la Pegaso Strada ha una maneggevolezza impressionate, tanto da sembrare un bicicletta, e i cambi destra-sinistra nei vari tornanti erano fulminei!
A conferma di questa mia impressione c’è dire che a valle avevo incrociato un gruppo di biker fuori da un bar con motone super-sportive tipo 999, CBR & co. che si stavano infilando i caschi e mi guardavano con aria minacciosa come a dire “vai vai tanto tra un po’ ti facciamo vedere i sorci verdi…”, quindi mi son detto “meglio affrettare il passo onde evitare di trovarsi con questi scalmanati in piena curva“… Avevo calcolato che ad occhio e croce mi avrebbero passato sul tratto dritto che c’è a metà strada, ed invece sono arrivato in cima, mi sono spogliato ho iniziato a far foto e solo allora li ho visti arrivare…
Ritornando ad aspetti più tecnici, la seduta e le sospensioni sono molto confortevoli.. forse un po’ troppo la forcella anteriore per reggere le staccate più brusche, ma in ogni caso ben adeguata all’utilizzo della moto. I freni, Brembo (a 4 pistoncini), come consuetudine Aprilia, rispondono prontamente, e la moto rimane sempre ben bilanciata…

Star-Trek
08-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Volendo essere pignoli:
Peccati veniali!
Si potrebbero contestare i tubi freno in gomma, (magari, visto l’alto livello delle rifiniture, potevano concedersi un paio di tubi in treccia), e gli interruttori dei comandi “troppo delicati2, (almeno sul modello che ho provato io, gli interruttori di fari e frecce erano così sensibili che con i guanti non ci si rendeva conto se li si era azionati o meno…)

Tirando le somme:
Davvero un bel mezzo!
Utile e pratica con i suoi vani e la comoda posizione di guida, quindi ottima per chi voglia muoversi in città (la definirei una Utilità-Bike), ma anche leggera e precisa per chi voglia divertirsi sul misto stretto di bei tornanti di montagna, ed in ultimo confortevole e valida anche per viaggiare! …Davvero una moto “da sposare!” :p:

Star-Trek
08-17-2005, 05:15 AM
:) ....Bringing the Pegaso to the Concessionary... :p:

knfusion24
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
See, I have no idea what Star-Trek is saying, but his bike (I'm assuming it is) is totally awesome. Amazing how beauty spans languages!!! :cathat:

Star-Trek
08-18-2005, 02:20 AM
See, I have no idea what Star-Trek is saying, but his bike (I'm assuming it is) is totally awesome. Amazing how beauty spans languages!!! :cathat:

The bike isn't mine: I have an SL Falco! :) The Pegaso Strada was of the concessionary that let mi try the new bike's, when he have... :)

I've tried SL Falco (before buying), RSV Mille '99, RSV Mille '03, RSV1000R '04, RSV1000 R Factory '05, Caponord, Futura, Pegaso Strada, and the Ducati Multistrada 620, the BMW K1200R... ;)

go_modem_go
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
See, I have no idea what Star-Trek is saying, but his bike (I'm assuming it is) is totally awesome. Amazing how beauty spans languages!!! :cathat: :peace:Especially if it's said in Italian!

Although even Altavista Babelfish doesn't always get the finesse of the mothertongue of Aprilia:

Com' is: Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Sentimentale and tradizionalista as they are, become attached to the old line of the Pegaso, to the beginning I had storto po' a nose in seeing this new version: the Pegaso Road...... Then, seeing it the alive one I must say that instead me it is piaciuta very many: the great beacon that forms cupolino of the motion makes I to think next to the snout of a lion, the exhaust manifolds whom they pass polishes very and in sight on the right, and the circles in anodized aluminium blue confers them an aspect Racing extremely! A lot winning! The instrumentation is beautiful clear and complete with contagiri analogic and a wide digital screen them that it acts as from odometer and it supplies all the possible and imaginable information, being true and just a computer of edge managed from a comfortable one "mouse" placed on the notebook of the left grip handle! An other thing that me is piaciuta very many is the spaces: that one under the saddleback, gained in the space between the drainages, beautiful wide and however never too much warm, and especially that small on the tank, than (is only opened to key inserted from a button on the notebook of the left grip handle), covers the stopper tank and offers one small perfect space in order to put documents, papers, walletts and those to us cursed spiccioli that when you firm to a casello they force to you to undress to you half in order to pull them outside! Indeed one large found!

2nd post:

Wanting to be pignoli: Veniali sins! They could themselves be contested to the tubes brake in rubber, (even, seen the high level of the rifiniture, a pair of tubes in treccia could be granted), and the switches of the commandos "too much delicati2, (at least on the model who I have tried, the switches of beacons and arrows were therefore sensitive that with the gloves us did not become account if them it were itself sets in action to you or less...) Pulling the sums: Indeed a beautiful one half! Practical profit and with its spaces and the comfortable position of guide, therefore optimal for who wants to move in city (would define it Utilità-Bike), but also light and specifies for who wants to be amused on the tight compound of beautiful hairpin curves of comfortable and valid mountain, and in last also in order travelling! ... Indeed one motion "to marry!"At least I can figure out that by concessionary, Star-Trek means the dealer....

By the way, Star-Trek: Welcome to the Falco crowd! Now here you have a beautiful bike with enough power for long trips!

Where are you in Italy? Near Noale? Could you pay the Aprilia spare parts (ricambi) department a visit and kick their arses on my behalf for not sending the parts I ordered a month ago? ;)

gore-tx
09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Thank You!

The feedback from the Pegaso Survey was extremely valuable. While the final decision will be made in Italy, the feedback and the poll proved that this product has a place here.

Because the Aprilia Forum responded the way it did, I believe the 650 Strada is heading our way in '06!

Hampton

So, now that we are in September, is this a "go" for sure or have been saving my money for nothing?

Spotted Wind
09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Marketing Dept. -

Very interested here.

So, what's the deal with the 110 tire up front? Will a 120 fit? Sure would give more options (like some Pilot Powers).

Also, any english road/test reviews out there?

johnalex
09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank You!
Hampton

So, are you one of the laid off Aprilia folks?

Is the rest of the staff moving to NYC? Or California?

sargent
10-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I signed up just for this thread. Hopefully some news will be coming soon; with the new Pegaso Trail just released I'd really be interested to see what the 06 Aprilia plan of attack is. I currently ride an 02 VFR but have been looking for something along the lines of the Trail version for some more exploring touring.

johnalex
10-04-2005, 01:58 PM
I currently ride an 02 VFR but have been looking for something along the lines of the Trail version for some more exploring touring.

Welcome to the list. I also ride a VFR, a 98, for commuting. Use the RSV-R for touring! And track days. And canyons.

But am looking to replace the VFR with something like the Strada for commutes.

scfrank
10-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Even though I just bought a Tuono, I would buy one also.

I ask for a quote at the dealer 6 weeks ago. I think it's great.
Perfect for the mountains near here (Blue Ridge).

Still cheaper than the BMW F650. and better looking.

Make a dual sport version.

Frank

sargent
10-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Make a dual sport version.

Frank
Frank,
I think they already have...that's what I refered to as the Trail version in my (1st) post :cool:

http://www.aprilia.com/dati//272/foto_mag_2_969_1128080216.jpg

TiminIndy
10-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I would definitely consider this over the F650CS and the Monster 620 I'm looking at.

XPADREX
10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
That Trail is AWESOME!

I'd love to see THAT here, indeed!

scfrank
10-10-2005, 10:15 AM
When can I get one ?

Trail version I mean.

SCFRANK

Aprilia=Thumper
10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Bring it and people will buy it

I am looking to replace my 89 XT600, if the price is right.

grd4spd
10-28-2005, 10:58 AM
may have been asked already, but what (whos) motor is in the new Pegaso? yamaha or some partner?

regards,
terry

go_modem_go
10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
may have been asked already, but what (whos) motor is in the new Pegaso? yamaha or some partner?Yamaha-designed XT660 unit, built by Minarelli in Italy for Yamaha I believe. Proven in lot's of XT660R or X Enduro and Supermoto bikes which sell well in Europe.

XT660X:
http://www.motomerlin.dsl.pipex.com/moto/xtx1.jpg
http://www.motomerlin.dsl.pipex.com/moto/xtx4.jpg
http://www.motomerlin.dsl.pipex.com/moto/xtx6.jpg

Great engine! I have the predecessor double-carb 660c 5 valve mono still used in large Yamaha Quads (Grizzly and Raptor 660), the MZ Mastiff and other MZ's fitted to my Belgarda SZR660.

New 660cc versions (Aprilia Strada, Yamaha XT) have fuel injection and a 4-valve head instead of 5.

On top of that, that engine is bullet proof! Apparantly better than the 650cc Rotax unit used in BMW's and older Pegasos, which wasn't a bad engine either.

grd4spd
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks GmG....that was the info i was looking for!

regards,
terry

Ergo
11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I like it! :)

I'd still prefer a Rotax motor. There are Yammie dealers on every corner here in the states! :fangs:

go_modem_go
11-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I like it! :)

I'd still prefer a Rotax motor. There are Yammie dealers on every corner here in the states! :fangs:But they don't sell the XT660X/R Supermoto / enduro, or do they?

Anyway, that Yamaha engine is Italian made (Minarelli), rather than Austrian (Rotax). Makes the Pegaso Strada an all-out Eye-Talian macchina, with OZ wheels, Minarelli-Yamaha engine, Pirelli tyres, Brembo Brakes, Tomaselli handlebar, Marzocchi fork and Sachs Italia shock (POS, btw)! :lover:

Beau1K
03-05-2006, 11:32 PM
So what is this bike for? Is it supposed to compete with the multistrada? I can't figure out if it's an enduro or an almost motard. Is this going to be our canyon carving 600 that everybody is calling for?

go_modem_go
03-06-2006, 03:31 AM
So what is this bike for? Is it supposed to compete with the multistrada? I can't figure out if it's an enduro or an almost motard. Is this going to be our canyon carving 600 that everybody is calling for?It's an urban Supermotard - a commuter bike. Nothing to do with the Multistrada - much smaller and cheaper.

Many Europeans commute to work on a bike. The Pegaso Strada, Yamaha XT660X and Honda FMX650 are of that breed - reliable, daily commuters which offer lot's of fun in the small twisties as well.

Historically, Europe, and especially France and Italy, has always been fond of 600+cc thumper enduros (The Yamaha XT600 was the largest selling bike for a long while). The Supermotos are a revival of that theme, adapting the enduro to more urban use (The Pegaso SM version is called "Strada" because it's for the street, rather the full-out track racer à la SVX450/550). The same bikes are also available as enduros with 17-inch front wheel and mix-use tyres.

Strada-type bikes are not geared to compete with KTM 660SM-style Supermotos, which have pure racing and sports application in mind.

Much longer service intervals, proven engines with anti-vibration counter-balancers, in-built luggage compartments, etc.

Also, European step-up driving licence requirement favour thsese bikes as beginners bikes, since you can buy them in restricted 34hp version for the first 2 years, and run them at full hp (around 45-50) later.

They sell pretty well to the scooter-shunning commuter crowd, as far as I can tell from the front of traffic lights in Rome, Milan, Paris or Barcelona.

Beau1K
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
So then it seems that this IS the going to be what everybody here is calling for. A supermotard style bike that is as reliable as any other street bike.

Everybody is clammouring for a street legal 550 (probably because of the twin motor)...but it's been said that it isn't practival for street use because of the short maintenance intervals.

So, that being said...we aren't going to get the 550 for street until MAYBE 2008...isn't this the practical option. I mean, I think it looks really good! Not as cool as the 550 motard, but it'll have to do right?

Wizard of Oz
05-18-2006, 06:34 AM
You're latest version of the Pegaso 650 Trail is the best compromise in a dual purpose middleweight all-rounder on the market today.
Here in Australia all the dealers are pushing supermotards but in reality I rarely ever see one one on the road, so they can't be selling too many.
After 25 years of riding road and dirt bikes I'm looking for one bike that can do a lot of things reasonably well and be fun to ride.(slim,light & flickable)
I've spent several months researching my next purchase. I also travel frequently between the USA and Australia. In the US they have bugger all choice of models compared to here and Europe.
I've been looking at you're 650 Trail on the net and wishing it was available here, today I dropped in to my local dealer and they were doing the pre-delivery on their first shipment......... I'm sold.
Was getting ready to buy a F650GS but wanted the Pegaso because :

That tank glovebox is soooooo handy for coins, phones, sunglasses etc.

A trip computer that be operated from the handgrip..........well its not priceless....but....hard to put a price on that sort of convenience.

The Beemer may have a little bit more suspension and convenient rear shock adjustment but basically they have similar suspension & brakes.
They both have comfortable seats and riding position, similar motors and performance

The Pegaso retails a fraction cheaper than the BMW over here.

Ive read that the 650 single Pegaso type bike has been a steady seller for Aprillia for over 12 years.
I think you'd be mad not to introduce the TRAIL version in the US as they have bugger all else to choose from, and Americans seem to have that "be prepared for anything" "high mobility & utility" type of attitude towards their vehicle choices.
The market for a mid-sized dual purpose bike is a niche that the 650 Trail could fill well in the US and I'm happy they're available here in Australia.

Tdawg
05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
I wish the pagaso was available in the US.:( Cool commuter, mutli-purpose device. And it'd look good next to the Mille. Probably more comfort long term vs. the SXV

We'll probably get the Yamaha 660 before the Ape.

cavender
05-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Has anyone heard any news about whether it is coming or not? It definitely would be a hoot to ride.

Trix-8
05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Looks nice but i'll rather a full supermoto