PDA

View Full Version : Nuerburgring riders?

Kristian_AUS
07-13-2005, 04:00 AM
I've been browsing the forum for a little while and recently registered. I've seen that there are quite a few european riders here, and was wondering if any regularly head out to ride the Nuerburgring.

I try and head up at least once or twice a month, and wouldn't mind meeting up with a rider or two there.

Cheers!
K

Ally V60
07-13-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been browsing the forum for a little while and recently registered. I've seen that there are quite a few european riders here, and was wondering if any regularly head out to ride the Nuerburgring.

I try and head up at least once or twice a month, and wouldn't mind meeting up with a rider or two there.

Cheers!
K

K, I will be there on tuesday 7th Sept for the public opening 1730-1930, we are stopping at sliders guest house.

Kristian_AUS
07-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Public opening? I thought that happened at the start of the season - when they let thousands of riders do a "parade lap" at low speed. Or is that something else.

I'm heading up to ride it this weekend, followed by a trackday on the GP track on Mon and Tue, and may head up the weekend after to ride the Nordschleife again....ahhh, the joys of a "Jahreskarte" :)

Where in Germany are you?

Ally V60
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Think my use of english ( Me being Scottish) may have got things mixed up, by public opening, I mean when the ring is open to the public to use. Im in Munster NRW.

Kristian_AUS
07-15-2005, 03:53 AM
Ah - gotcha.

'nother question - Munster NRW??? (Me being Australian ;)) Where's that?

*click* ah - Nord-Rhein Westfallen. Looks like you're closer to the ring than me. That's close to Darmstadt isn't it?

Ally V60
07-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Ah - gotcha.

'nother question - Munster NRW??? (Me being Australian ;)) Where's that?

*click* ah - Nord-Rhein Westfallen. Looks like you're closer to the ring than me. That's close to Darmstadt isn't it?

About 300 k's north so the ring is in between us. Just had confirmation of a mate last night the we are definately booked in to sliders on the 7th Sept and then getting a guided lap or two, as we are all "ring virgins" (Not some strange sexuall perversion!)
If your bored in the first 2 weeks of sept then you are welcome to join us brits for a blast around europe and a few ok lots of beers.

Found this link to info on the ring,
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ its a site run by a guy called Ben Lovejoy

The Dr.Jon
07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I was there in May. I will go back one day, but it is an intimidating place. I will definitely arrange to follow a more experienced Ringer for my next trip, but I have since bought an excellent video with laps by Ring experts with commentary. The camera can NOT do justice to the real thing though!

Ally V60
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
I was there in May. I will go back one day, but it is an intimidating place. I will definitely arrange to follow a more experienced Ringer for my next trip, but I have since bought an excellent video with laps by Ring experts with commentary. The camera can NOT do justice to the real thing though!

Yeah hear a few horror stories, which is why we book into sliders, there brits understand brit bikers and are good for a few beers afterwards. None of us can afford to ditch our bikes as we have another 2000 Kms to go after we finish there.

Kristian_AUS
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Brandon from Sliders is a great guy - a friend from the UK had an accident here last year, and he came out and picked up her bike, got it back in working order so she could ride back home. :worship: to Brandon. The road to and from the ring from sliders is a nice ride too.

Ben has a great site - another site worth looking at, and also crosslinked to/from Ben's site is www.jwhubbers.nl. He drives his car on the ring, and takes photo's in between track sessions. There's a lot of worthwhile info on there as well. Send him an email and tell him when you're going to be on the ring - he takes photo's of people on the ring and sells them for a very reasonable price.

There are also a lot of other photographers on the ring on weekends, so it's worth searching through the various sites as you're likely to find a picture of yourself somewhere on the net.

Thanks for the invite - if the weathers good I'll try and make my way up there. Following another rider is a good idea - I needed at least 20-30 laps before I was able to remember the track layout.

"Ring virgins" huh? That's one track you can pop your cherry on multiple times. Each of the first 10 laps feels like the first time ;)

Ally V60
07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the links, Brendan and his lass have been a great help in planning our trip, and recomended some roads in the Harz on our return from WSBK. We are visiting Spa in the morning so coming in from that direction. According to Sliders as its a Tuesday evening the ring should be fairly quiet :cool:. Hope you can make it be cool to lap it with a pair of millie's the rest of my mate are on various i4's

Kristian_AUS
07-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Here's another link: http://www.joerundseim.com/

Go to his original site, then click on Articles, then Trackdays and Travel descriptions, then Motorcycle riding in Harz - Germany. He seems to have some good info about Harz.

The ring is much better to ride during the week as there aren't as many people on the track. I did a lap or two during the week in May and didn't see anyone for the entire lap - pure heaven!

How long are you going to be there? Just for the tuesday, or on the weekend as well?

Bouncer
07-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Been a couple of times myself and after about 35 laps have just learnt the track. Love the place. Try this web site, it's very useful. Guy's name is Ben Lovejoy.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Wanted to go back in August but can't afford it this time :pissed:

The Dr.Jon
07-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Ben Lovejoy's link is the best there is IMHO! Everything you need to know and lots of useful info and trivia.

:peace:

Ally V60
07-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Here's another link: http://www.joerundseim.com/

How long are you going to be there? Just for the tuesday, or on the weekend as well?

We are travelling from Assen round of the WSBK to Lauzitz ring for the following WSBK the next weekend. So unfortunatly we will only be at the ring on the tuesday evening. As we are all soldiers or Ex soldiers we are kind of doing a WW2 trip as well, Arnem/Nuremberg/Colditz/Berlin visits. All started as a mad idea after having to many beers :cathat:

Kristian_AUS
07-26-2005, 05:17 AM
I just looked at my calendar, and the 7th of Sep is a Wednesday. There's actually a trackday on Wednesday on the GP track - I might be there for that which would mean heading up on Tuesday morning and riding the Nordschleife in the evening.

I'll post if it works out :)

Ally V60
07-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I just looked at my calendar, and the 7th of Sep is a Wednesday. There's actually a trackday on Wednesday on the GP track - I might be there for that which would mean heading up on Tuesday morning and riding the Nordschleife in the evening.

I'll post if it works out :)

Kristian, We plan to get there about 1530hrs, before I leave for the trip I'll pm you my mobile. If you up for it come up to assen and watch Corser dominate they WSBK there will be about 22 of use going to assen then 7 of us carrying on around Europe. Yeah 3000 Km in 10 days on a millie! but hey why have a bike and not ride the pants of it. :cathat:

Kristian_AUS
07-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Sounds great! I wouldn't mind seeing a round of WSBK live. I'll see how things develop, but I may be out of the country on either the weekend before or after the trackday. It's a great opportunity though.

3000km in 10 days huh - you couldn't have a better sportbike to do it on :)

Ally V60
07-28-2005, 11:40 AM
3000km in 10 days huh - you couldn't have a better sportbike to do it on :)

So far there is "the Bitch", 748, Bandit 1200, ZX6r, 93 Blade, GSXR6 x 2, thats for the whole trip, and just about every other modern Sports bike going to just assen.

Yeah its going to be cycling shorts and leathers for 7 out of the ten days, the outher 3 are going to be a drunken hase.
:cool: