PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Flat-Track Racers

Micah / AF1 Racing
07-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I do not know if this is a dunplcate post (I did search and found references but not a direct re-post) but, you should check out the guys at Kiker Performance ( http://www.kikerperformance.com/ ). I just read through their whole site and man was I impressed with what they are trying to do. I was so impressed that I am thinking of contributing to thier cause to see an Aprilia run up front in US flat track. They have Larry Pegram riding for them and he is fast as hell on dirt.

I have only seen one "mile" flat track race in person in my entrie life. That night a brave young kid died when he went in the fence at the Dallas Mile at a horse track. It was supposed to be the night that the series had the first running of what was then called Super-Trackers, bikes that used V-Twin Jap sport bike engines. After the kids accident, his name was Toby I think, they cancelled the rest of the nights races with due cause.

I wanted to see how those bikes might change the establishment in the world of flat track. Fkat-Track racing has always fascinated me. I want to learn how to do it so bad it kills me. If ever you guys want to take me on a vacation I would love to go on...I want to go to the American Super Camps, flat track school of course.

Anyway, my point is this. These guys are freaking visually spectacular to see in person, the sound is low and haunting and the action is sick! Read through that site if you have not already. What an awesome group of enthusiasts.

BobbyD
07-13-2005, 09:49 AM
As an Avid Flattracker back in the late 60's and early 70's and since then catching up on the sport when I can.. I find this very interesting and exciting.
I wish them a boat load of luck and I'll send them a few bucks when I can.
Larry is a good solid rider but even on a perfect bike winning is still very hard. If you ever see Larry even on the podium you know that they are going in the right direction. I wish them all the best. I love it when Harley loses.
I'm looking forward to that.......

vito
07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
As an Avid Flattracker back in the late 60's and early 70's and since then catching up on the sport when I can.. I find this very interesting and exciting.
I wish them a boat load of luck and I'll send them a few bucks when I can.
Larry is a good solid rider but even on a perfect bike winning is still very hard. If you ever see Larry even on the podium you know that they are going in the right direction. I wish them all the best. I love it when Harley loses.
I'm looking forward to that.......

yeah, i think of flat track racing as something that was big back then, when motocross was in its infancy. always seemed cool. :cool:

BobbyD
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
yeah, i think of flat track racing as something that was big back then, when motocross was in its infancy. always seemed cool. :cool:

All the Great American roadracers current and from the past came from dirt track backgrounds. It's still used to train the greats in a modest form using XR 100's and such. When I was racing I was dicing it up with the likes of Kenny Roberts and another guy you might have heard of by the name of Brad Lacky who came out of Dirt track racing to go on and be the 1st American Motocross World Champion. Motorcycle Racing has and will go through changes of popularity. Dirt/Flat track racing was big in the 60's, the 70's saw a big explosion in motocross, the 80's saw supercross grow and the 90's saw the explosion of roadracing. Now you see SuperMoto growing big time which is a cross between dirt track racing and roadracing with a little motocross thrown in....Don't ya love it?

KaneRSV
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I was at the Syracuse Mile this year and its a pretty incredible thing to watch, and dangerous as hell. The races were dominated by harley based bikes, but there were a couple powered by suzuki TL 1000's and of course Larry Pegram on the Aprilia powered bike. I don't know if it was the bike or Pegram but he finished 3rd to last in the main more than half a lap down to the leaders, pretty darn slow.

Chris Carr and Jay Springsteen did some serious dicing, along with another rider, all the way to the end with Carr taking the win. It was a really exciting race to watch.

Interesting note though, if you look at a couple pics on that site, the #69 bike (forgot the riders name) is sponsored by Earl Hayden (Nickys dad). He is like 19 years old, a rookie, very fast, and has a very Hayden-like riding style. He finished top 10, and beat alot of the veterans. Keep an eye on this kid, he's definately a future dirt track star, and is rumored to be equally fast on a sportbike, so could be a future road race star as well.

The two Suzuki TL powered bikes ran very well though, I think they both finished in or near the top 10. Maybe the Aprilia needs more sorting out, or something, but it was un-impressive unfortunately. The only bikes Pegram finished in front of were bikes that were poor running and having mechanical issues. I hope they get the bike sorted out, but they need a real, dedicated, dirt track rider to be competitive. Pegram's fast maybe for a part timer, but not compared to the regulars on the circuit.

BobbyD
07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes Pegram would kick my boo-tay and there is no doubt.... But compared to the people who specialize in the flat dirty stuff full time I don't feel good about him making the podium. The bike can be sorted out in a nano second with a little more money and a better rider who can relay the problems back to the builders....The motor is not the problem with this venture. In stock form it's better than the harley...

duc slayer
07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't carr run an ape motor in one of his bike's a few years back. i'm not sure but I know I've seen an ape in a dirt track race, and it wasn't pegram, like i said it was at least a couple of years ago

FactoryRSV1000R
07-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Micah thanks for the post about the web site. :peace:

These guys are working hard trying to make it happen and it will happen soon!
They will get that Aprilia in the winners circle,They have been putting in a lot of dyno time and there have been some bugs to work out,but they are making good power for running restricted throttlebodies.They have a full set of power wires from kikerperforamnce.com,which i hope will get them 2-3 more horsepower.Which is what i got on my 2002 Aprilia RSV-R.

Thanks
Rod Sutphin
Kikerperformance.com

Indyal
07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
I saw the Greenville, Ohio half mile last Saturday night. To watch those guys will give you the goose bumps! The final came down between Chris Carr, Kenny Coolbeth, and Joe Kopp. There were several lead changaes and Joe Kopp won. Just plain great racing, and to watch those bikes roar past you from 20 feet away at over 100mph in the dirt is AWESOME! I plan on going to the Springfield Mile, Sept. 4, and the Duqoin, Illinois mile Oct 1,. Anyone what to meet up let me know...

Devildog
08-04-2005, 07:10 AM
I have my Mille engine sitting on a stand right now, just waiting for when I can upgrade my license and do some of the "big track" races.

Sucks about the 450 twin not being legal. I was really looking forward to making one into a flat track bike. that would kick ass on a 3/8 to 1/2 mile track.

duc slayer
08-04-2005, 09:40 AM
do you know if the AMA banned them for all racing or is it just for motocross. The only info I can remember is that they were illegal for MX, not sure though, if I recall it was shortly after Aprilia annouced the svx motor that they decided you couldn't run them as of the 06 season??????

Devildog
08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Don't know about MX. But they would'nt make exception for the 450 twin in short flat track. They kept it restricted to singles only.

Bill in OKC
08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
It seems like the AMA has it out for Aprilia - not allowing the SP when it allowed the VR1000 and now this.

Devildog
08-04-2005, 01:57 PM
It seems like the AMA has it out for Aprilia - not allowing the SP when it allowed the VR1000 and now this.

I think it's more that Aprilia won't pay the hefty homologation fees to the AMA.

Bill in OKC
08-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I have no doubt that if Aprilia paid the AMA enough money that they could get the AMA rulebook re-written. How much do you suppose Harley paid the AMA to get the official blessing to race an illegal machine?

Infallible
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
AMA sucks. Flat out sucks....its continuing to spiral down hill.

Dr. Greg
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Ah, yes, flat track is amazing spectating. I fondly remember the San Jose Mile, Sacramento Mile, etc., back in the 70s when I lived there. Kenny Roberts (Yamaha XS750 vertical twin) vs. Gary Scott (XR750 Harley). Photo finishes! I once heard the entry of a miler into turn 1 likened to "...a jet bomber changing course..."

I won't even get into the AMA and their rules...

Finally, has anyone noticed that the pictures of Larry Pegram (usually shown in qualifying grid in AMA Superbike) indicate that he has put on some weight? His face looks much, uh, "fuller" than I seem to remember it. Hey, maybe some additional "mass" is an advantage!

Monkeyboy
08-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Sorry about the hi-jack, but are there any single day flat track classes out there for newb's with no equip.? I'm thinking this would be an excellent way to improve my pavement skills. I'm in Norcal.

Thanks!

Devildog
08-08-2005, 07:06 PM
This is probably about the best. It's the only one I know of that you don't need your own bike.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/

Monkeyboy
08-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks DD. Actually I just found and signed up for a 2 day session with Rich Oliver in Oct. Should be very fun, and I'm sure I'll learn a ton.
I'll post my impressions afterwards.