PDA

View Full Version : how to get more performance

paul789
07-11-2005, 07:01 AM
i have a aprilia sr50 ditech 04 piaggio motor. on the speedo i get just before the mph sign leening forward. i am not as fast as other scooters and was wondering if any performance parts would help me increase performance? and improve my top end? thanks

Oz Scooterboy
07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
i have a aprilia sr50 ditech 04 piaggio motor. on the speedo i get just before the mph sign leening forward. i am not as fast as other scooters and was wondering if any performance parts would help me increase performance? and improve my top end? thanks
Definetly, depends how much money you want to spend, if you use the search forum you can find everything from 70cc bore kits, exhausts, variators, rear end gears etc.

paul789
07-11-2005, 07:32 AM
i am willing to spend a bit of $$$. i was think if i got a performance clutch and multi variator would it improve my performance.
cheers

Oz Scooterboy
07-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I personally havent changed any clutches or variators but i have changed a 70cc bore kit and others will probably agree its the biggest gains you'll get for your $$, everything else usually is fine tuning and acceleration.
Go to www.scootnfast.com he is one of the members on this forum and his website is very helpful and explains a lot of these mods.

paul789
07-11-2005, 08:25 AM
if you get a 70cc big bore kit would u need to get a gear up kit? how fast do u get with your 70 cc on ur ped ?

cheers

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 09:58 AM
The most bang for the buck comes from adding a performance pipe and changing roller weights. For under $200, you can increase your HP by about 25%. If you plan on a 70cc kit also, you will probably need a performance pipe to appreciate it anyhow.

The pipe will definitely increase your acceleration and can raise your top end depending on the roller set up. A variator or clutch will smooth out acceleration and may give you a little more--but not much.

Where are you from?

How fast will your scoot go? I'm not familiar with where you say on that speedo--my speedometer goes up to 70 mph--(That's not how fast I go) First, we want to make sure you are fully derestricted (software/hardware), that's why I need to know your top speed.

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Never mind. I saw your signature. Don't you have another profile?

How fast does your scoot REALLY go?

paul789
07-11-2005, 10:28 AM
on my sr50 the speedo goes up to 50 mph and it goes off the speedo. the bike is fully de-restricted. what exhaust would u think would be the best for my aprilia sr50 piagiio motor?

cheers

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
54-56mph Much more realistic!

If you have a full budget, you could try the Jolly Moto pipe, but it's not cheap. I'm happy with Leo Vince. Many like their Gianellis. I'd stay away from Technigas and Arrow. Also, TJT pipes are supposed to be good, but they require very high RPM's which probably wouldn't be good. Do you plan to do 70 cc later? If so, maybe a Polini Super Race. Here's the Malossi MHR, which should be real good, but we can't get it in the US:

http://malossi.com/Catalogo/Cata_Main.asp?Marca=10&Modello=MO/APSRGP50&Famiglia=0&CodArt=3212734

paul789
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
do you have a leo vinic zx or wot do you have? the malossi exhaust is not cheap. would this exhaust do alot to my accelration and top end? i am not planning to get a 70cc right now. the aprilia dealer near me siad that all the big bore kits that they have put on a ditech have just jewed the spark plug and doesnt work.

thanks

dojostudio
07-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Many like their Gianellis. I'd stay away from Technigas and Arrow.

hi tim, i'm curious
what exactly do you not like about the Arrows?

scootnfast
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
hi tim, i'm curious
what exactly do you not like about the Arrows?

It is pretty much a general concensous among scooter riders that the arrow 2-stroke pipes aren't worth the money...

Don't get me wrong, Arrow is a great 4 stroke pipe manufacturer and they charge top dollar for their pipes with good reason... In the 2 stroke world (especially for scooters), it is a whole different story. There really isn't any R&D that goes into their scooter pipes. It is simply an attempt for them to slap their name onto a pipe and charge top dollar for a pipe simply because their name on it. But the performance simply isn't there compared to other "even cheaper" pipes.

paul789
07-11-2005, 12:16 PM
what would be the best setup for my aprilia sr50 ditech piaggio motor. to get the best performance?

thanks

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 03:48 PM
I was curious how much the Malossi MHR is--nobody sells them in the US. I have a Leo Vince S. AF1 has posted dyno tests on the Leo S and the Leo ZX and they both added about the same power. They may have also tested the Gianelli.

Just have never heard great things about the Arrows, although Jay Bernard at Mototek seems to be pushing them. My theory on that is that his profit margin is better, but I could be wrong.

Tim says: Get any Italian pipe that is specifically made for the Ditech, a yellow contra spring, and a set of 7g & 7.5 g rollers. Make sure you have the right oil and a good spark plug, and kiss your buddies goodbye! :peace:

NeoGeniX
07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Pay attention people :P He has a piaggio purejet whole other ballgame than the morini ditech...2 completely different engines. Cant really tell you witch parts to get to be honest :X

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 07:01 PM
All you do is come in the Ditech forum and tell us how much they suck because there are no parts available for them. I realize that you Euro racers can tune the carb versions much further, but other than the carbs, Malossi and Polini list just as many tuning parts for the Morini and Piaggio Ditechs as they do for any other scoot. Cylinders, cranks, reed valves, varios, clutches, rear gears, whoopee-doo disks, etc...

NeoGeniX
07-11-2005, 07:05 PM
What? Are u wearing your glasses?

All I said was that there is a difference in tuning parts for morini ditechs and piaggio purejet(that means no carb) engines? No injection bashing at all in that post. If my posting is not appreciated fine I'll go hang out somewhere else...

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 07:31 PM
No, I still love you, Neo. Just being snappy. I knew what you meant. He has a pre R Factory Piaggio, I believe. The set up I gave should work fine.

MIKE0101
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
all the big bore kits that they have put on a ditech have just jewed the spark plug and doesnt work.

thanks

what does that mean???

TiminIndy
07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I think it means he doesn't know what he's talking about. Scootnfast, Kyle Herder, and dam718 have all put 70cc kits on theirs and seem to be happy with the results.

Chiisu
07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
the aprilia dealer near me siad that all the big bore kits that they have put on a ditech have just jewed the spark plug and doesnt work.

thanks

Uhmm, I'm guessing these guys don't know about the oil issues, so are blaming it on big bore kits. Interesting that in a humid climate like the U.K. there aren't any Agip or IP oil dealers.

paul789
07-12-2005, 09:34 AM
i think we can get the Malossi MHR for about 220. i will try the set up, is there any make that would be better than others(any you recomend)

thanks paul