PDA

View Full Version : How to do a "stoppie"??

RS250Malaya
10-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Can any macho rider share his views on how to do a stoppie on the RS250? I mean, you know, the crazy front braking technique that will lift the tail of your RS250 high up in the air..... do you need ABS to ensure you dont slip or slide? How is it done? It could be a life saver technique.

micah apriliaforum com
10-10-2001, 01:25 PM
Same as a wheelie, the stoppie is caused by a sudden change of braking force...short and hard to get it up and then careful modulation to keep it there without flipping over!

StevesRSV
10-24-2001, 04:50 PM
Easiest way it to get rollin about 20 mph. Pull in the clutch and grab a just enough brake to compress the forks. Once the forks are compressed all the way grab a whole lot more brake. The key is gettin those front forks compressed. If you just pull the brake your going to get a front wheel skid.... and thats not any fun is it.

Another thing that helps is throwing your body weight foreward at the maximum braking point. Lift your butt off the seat and lean over the tank. Hopes that helps.

**This trick is terrible on your bike and if you flip it its going to suck!**

fedler
01-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Make sure that when you grab that front brake, that the road is clean and no cinders, this will cause the front tire to wash out from under you. Also watch that when you throw your weight forward that you do't fly over the handle bars. Start slow, try slower speeds and build up. Have fun and keep it on two wheels.

eleven07
01-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Try it on a bycicle first. i used to fall off my bmx doing that, but its a safe way to learn.

eleven07
01-25-2002, 09:00 PM
And with a bicycle its called an endo, over-endo if you flip your bike. dont ask me why. my buddy showed me. he taught me how on his mountain mike. he can hop around like that too. its cool!

moby
02-06-2002, 05:32 PM
http://brummond.home.mindspring.com/stoppie%20on%201992%20aprilia%20AF1.jpg

matt
03-02-2002, 08:27 AM
the trick is to sit right next to the tank and it mite sound funny but bounce on the seat (nothing major jus a little bounce enough to slighty compress the rear shock) an pull the lever jus after an hey presto up she goes

philliplawrence
03-14-2002, 07:42 PM
i don't encourage stoppies because of the squid factor, but i think i'm a better braker because of trying them. all that's been said is good, but the key on a heavy street bike is to warm the tires up really good before you start... at least 10 minutes worth of fast riding will do the trick... and be mentally prepared to let off the brake in the event of locking it up... ONLY do them on nice blacktop, not at greasy intersections...

RSVRJIM
08-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Check out one the masters at stoppies (Gary Rothwell)

www.2wf.com/articles/stun...DE5821.asp (http://www.2wf.com/articles/stunt_junkies/28C854E3-FB16-4786-BDE0-C59AB2DE5821.asp)

or

www.garyrothwell.com/ (http://www.garyrothwell.com/)

He also tells how to do wheelies.

yv1
08-20-2002, 04:30 PM
i get it up to 30mph and then hit the brake a little bit til the nose dives down then hit it more. you can get mad height....good luck

yvonne

X913
11-07-2002, 07:14 PM
This is an exelent guide to doing a stoppie. AND a wheelie for all machines (that will do em ;) )

www.apic.net/~bev/bikes.html#stoppies (http://www.apic.net/~bev/bikes.html#stoppies)

oneducs
01-02-2003, 10:25 PM
i don't think iam old but way back when late 70s we called stopies ( chinese wheelies ) bass ackwoods . :)

genem
01-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Try this.
members.shaw.ca/tsadiq/08...owmvsm.wmv (http://members.shaw.ca/tsadiq/083002_redlinecrashbrokenpromowmvsm.wmv)

rs70man
02-17-2003, 03:33 PM
30mph isnt good practice i am a keen rider and a physics student and the easiest way to do a stoppie is: always start small to get bigger, it is hard to tell exaclty when the rear end leaves ground so be aware. I suppose u could try 30mph to begin with and try to apply brakes hard to begin with and as it lifts ease off. its best to avoid coming to a hault when starting just brake hard until the wheel gets off then let off completly to get a feel of what the bike behaves like under heavy braking.(awesome feeling) Remember the balance point is always nearer than u think always let off if unsure and never push too hard. save them for warm days and gritty road surfaces avoid smooth tarmac it is likely to lock up even when its very hot and u may not fall off 90 times out of a 100 when the front locks but is best avoided by practising in the right places where grip is good, lowering tyre pressure could help only by 5 psi at max. the faster u go the easier it will be to do a stoppie but be aware to only do max 60 mph 70 if u dare then u may do 40m stoppies which are stonking and awesome, remenber to be pleased with lenght not height becus when u go for height things go wrong obviously ull get better and more confident then u can go for hieght and lenght combined to give an orgasmic stoppie.the way the brake is used is hard jerk forward very it will come up then keep it there until near the height u want then start easing off and it should stay at that height for most of the lenght of the stoppie, if u let off too much it will go back to terra firma if not ull go to hitting ur nose on the ground and hurting ur pride and joy, gud luck and ride safe, oh and get a second opinion.

KillerPriller
02-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Im so bored right now. I think i will also respond to this one.

Step one, get a mountain bike with good front suspension.

practice with the front brake. Note: bike brakes are backwards from motercycle brakes so your left is now your front.

once you have learned to do a stoppie,

STAY ON THE BICYCLE. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING, DOING STUNTS ON A PRILLER!

sheesh!

get a Gixxer ya squid!

Key Walshe
02-28-2003, 09:18 PM
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Note: bike brakes are backwards from motercycle brakes so your left is now your front.[/quote]

Is that true, on mine and <em>every</em> other bicycle I've ever owned, ridden or even looked at the right brake as you're sat on it is the front brake, identical to a motorbike's front brake position wise, and the rear brake is the left when sat on it, the same as rev 'n' go scooters!

My advice for stoppies, start slowly and do small 1s get the feel for them then go faster and bigger! Learn to crawl before you try to run! You'll kick yourself if you f#ck it all up though, that'll be alot of scratched and expensive to repair plastics if/when it goes wrong.

sgendler
03-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Us Yanks set up our bikes backwards from you Limeys (and other associated countries who rive on the wrong side of the road). I assume that it is somehow related to the side of the road you ride on, or perhaps the popularity of motorcycles. All of my bicycles have their brakes set up with front on the right, so my brain doesn't get confused when moving from pedal to motor powered cycles. Assuming there is enough length in the cable housing, it is a 30 second operation to swap the brake cables on a modern mountain bike, no tools necessary.

--sam