PDA

View Full Version : Quality Aprilia Service / Mechanics?

Aprilia13
06-25-2005, 12:03 PM
This is similar to a thread started a few months ago, but I'm specifically wanting to hear about great places to have an Aprilia serviced. I'm in Indiana, and Bloomington Harley Davidson used to be an Aprilia dealer and had a truly awesome Aprilia mechanic, but they aren't servicing Aprilia anymore, and I've had dodgy experiences with my other 2 dealers that are within 120 miles.

So, coast to coast, who are the folks out there providing quality, competent service?

FalcoLion
06-25-2005, 12:34 PM
I live in Brooklyn, NY and service my bike at NYC Aprilia. Frank is a great guy and I would say a pretty decent mechanic. I also hear good things about Rollin Fast.

Catatonic
06-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Redline Motorsports in Yorktown, VA is top notch.

GonzoPriller
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
I've had dodgy experiences with my other 2 dealers that are within 120 miles.

Was one of those places Flat-out, on Indy's east side?
Tell us more.

Aprilia13
07-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Was one of those places Flat-out, on Indy's east side?
Tell us more.
Didn't wanna start this for mud-slinging, but yes. Had mine in for the third service, and wanted all new fluids as well as having them install new tires, chain, sprockets. I can tolerate oil over-fill, but not COMPLETELY full. My clutch and front brake resevoirs were also way beyond max. Like, air wasn't visible in the chambers.

I have no grudge against Flat Out. They have done reasonably well at getting parts for me. I just don't think I want them touching my motorcycle again.

Anyway, I'm a believer in long-term relationships with mechanics, so I'm looking for a good one.

FalcoPilot
07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Ducshop Marietta, GA. They have a certified Aprilia tech and I have NO complaints with their services. They get ALL of my business.

I wouldn't buy a bottle of oil from the local Aprilia "dealer".

aceyx
07-05-2005, 05:53 PM
the last i heard, HD bloomington was keeping their aprilia tech (past their dropping the line).

debbi's husband races prillers, so it might be worthwhile to give them a call.

ffkevinking
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
i'm having my 04 rsvr in for service in toledo ohio which shouldn't be toooooo far from you. I've had a very good couple of purchasing experiences with them but nothing as far as service so far. so i'll let you know next week. I'm taking it back to honda east of toledo which is 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house as opposed to the dealer which is 4 miles from my house so i feal for ya on the service thing.

Kev

davel
07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I wish I new have to adjust the valves myself, as I think it is so true, that if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself, since no one will care as much as the owner. Even a reputable shop can forget things or not get things exactly perfect as we Aprilia owner demand.

2 things were overlooked on my last dealer service...front brake resevoir cap not screwed on tightly, and front caliper breeder valve not tighened all the way. Both are minor, but it created "stuff" I had to clean up such as brake fluid on the caliper, but the real pain was that I had to rub the speedo for an hour since the brake fluid splashed on it and damaged it.

So I spend Saturday redoing all of the hydrolics on the bike slowly and carefully, the way I like it.

hank
07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Ducshop Marietta, GA. They have a certified Aprilia tech and I have NO complaints with their services. They get ALL of my business.

I have been a long-time customer of the Ducshop. Mark & Wendy are good people... they know their stuff & provide top-notch customer service. If they also now have an Aprilia tech, you can be sure he is good....

I live in NYC and take both my Duc & Mille to Martin Eurosports in PA - actually I go where ever Bill H. is wrenching... Other people I would trust implicitly are Clarkie, Ken Zeller & AF-1.

Updated to add JCRacer- but only if he puts his old avatar back....

Jet City Racer
07-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't consider leaving a bleeder valve loose "minor". If it had of been 1/4 turn looser, you might not have had any brakes at all. :eek: These tasks aren't friggin rocket science. Why is it so hard to find competant mechanics?

Rhetorical Q?

Ricky J
07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Scuderia West, San Francisco. The gold standard that others should aim for.

venturaII
07-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Seacoast in New Hampshire, home of the famous, (or infamous ;) ) Aaron Clark.

Their reputation speaks for itself - they have superb service. I chose Seacoast over two other dealers much closer to me when I initially purchased my Falco, based on Jim and Charles's enthisiasm and professionalism.

I've since learned that the bad vibe I got at the closest shop to me (Dealer "X") was justified - I've heard nothing but service-related horror stories, and sales isn't much better - they still have an '03 Falco on the floor for nearly retail price......I guess they really want to hold on to that one.... :rolleyes:

NorCalRSVR
07-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah,
Me, myself and I. I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Air Force for 15 years and a few years out of the Air Force. I do my own maintenance for the simple reason that I don't trust anyone else to do it for me. I once thought that it was better to have the shop do it but after several instances where my bike was out and out damaged at the local shops I decided that I could just do the work myself since I ended up correcting all the mistakes made by the shop INCLUDING shimming my own valves and mounting my own tires due to incompetant mechanics. None of this occurred in the Bay Area where I now reside but that's only because I learned my lessons before I moved here. I don't know if any of the local Aprilia Dealers are good as far as service goes. I only give them business when I need parts. In that respect Motomeccanica in Santa Rosa is by far the best to deal with as far as I've experienced. Can't vouch for Speedsports in Livermore as I've never dealt with them. I know that when I do the job that it's going to be done to my satisfaction, which is to say that I'm picky as to how things are done....old habits die hard. If I could find someone that I trusted to torque every bolt and nut to it's correct torque spec with out me having to ask for that to be done then maybe I'd have the work done instead of doing it myself.........sean

FalcoPilot
07-06-2005, 08:11 AM
I have been a long-time customer of the Ducshop. Mark & Wendy are good people.....

Actually I only go there to hear Wendy pronounce "Aprilia" in her wonderful accent!!!! :lover:

clarkie49
07-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Ask Wendy what 'Get a big black dog up ya' means :D

FalcoPilot
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Ask Wendy what 'Get a big black dog up ya' means :D

Should I wear body armor when I do this?

Trying to get me killed Clarkie? :gunner:

badmotorscooter
07-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I wish I new have to adjust the valves myself, as I think it is so true, that if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself, since no one will care as much as the owner. Even a reputable shop can forget things or not get things exactly perfect as we Aprilia owner demand.

2 things were overlooked on my last dealer service...front brake resevoir cap not screwed on tightly, and front caliper breeder valve not tighened all the way. Both are minor, but it created "stuff" I had to clean up such as brake fluid on the caliper, but the real pain was that I had to rub the speedo for an hour since the brake fluid splashed on it and damaged it.

So I spend Saturday redoing all of the hydrolics on the bike slowly and carefully, the way I like it.

A similar thing happened to me, except they left the gasket off my clutch reservoir. The fluid started leaking out on the highway, leaked on my newly clear-coated CF and ruined my MRA screen. I ended up rubbing the CF out and had to order a new shield that the dealer is paying for. This was the second service. The third service, they nicked up some parts, rounded off a bolt and smudged my speedo with what was probably probably brake fluid. I am cutting my losses and walking away. The bolt I can replace, the nicks i have touched up, and the sppedo, well, your post actually got me to start rubbing it out with Honda cleaner, and it worked.

Conclusion: I am looking for a good dealer to get my bike serviced as well.

Regards.

1-G'_rider
07-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Well here in NC theres a kickass dealership and they have 2 Aprilia techs on hand and there getting more trained as well. Ive gotten both my bikes from them and would go back again. as a matter of fact I am getting ready to take mine up there. Had a couple rearend me at a stop light the bike was on the trailer thank God. Messed it a little but thats what insurance is for theres not mine, but never the less the shop is called Swannanoa Scooter Sales there right out side of Asheville in of course Swannanoa NC. I have visited the other dealer close to me in Greenville but have no reason to head down there. These guys service the bike and make sure your happy, hell there more like family and treat ya like family as well even if ya dont own an Aprilia and thats the only big cc bike they carry.

davel
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
badmotorscooter, the honda clearner will work, it won't seem like it in the beginning, but keep on going. But it does create "micro" stratches, but it is better then the speedo lens being white from brake fluid.

oh yeah, my incidence happened on a highly recommended and reputable shop, so hopefully, it was an isolated incidence...they did spend time cleaning my chain, which pleased me.

mdbizzle
07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I've gone to Cliff's Aprilia. Dave is the mechanic for priller's and he's a good guy who seems on top of his game. Vinnie is in charge of service there and is also a great person to deal with from my limited perspective. I've only gotten basic work done but they've been a big help. Cliff is a really nice person as well.

Anyone else have experience there? :peace: