PDA

View Full Version : Autobahn this Weekend with STT

BikerGeek
06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
I will be riding at Autobahn in Joliet, IL again this weekend with STT. Stop by and say hello.

Ride safe.

Jet City Racer
06-18-2005, 03:12 AM
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I want my bike back!!!

Have fun BG! :)

:peace:

Dave Stueve
06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
I'll be there on Thursday.
Can't wait!

BikerGeek
06-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Two days on the Autobahn South Course. The weather was perfect on Saturday (75 degrees and sunny) and a a bit warmer on Sunday (87 degrees and sunny).

The JCR/BikerGeek Mille ran great both days. My suspension setup from the previous weekend at Autobahn was not working Saturday morning. The south course at Autobahn is fast and flowing but very bumpy. During the Saturday AM sessions, I was able to modify the supension settings to work better.

I don't yet have a lap timer. But here are some stat's via my portable GPS:

Best maximum speed on the back straight 122mph
Best average speed during a 20 minute track session 62.9mph
Best average lap time during a 20 minute track session 1:55

My best lap was probably in the 1:50 range. The fast advanced guys were down in the 1:30's.

I had a couple of tankslappers. One incident on the back straight was particularly nasty. But my instincts were good. I did not chop the throttle and grab the brakes when the tanskslapper occurred. I kept the throttle open and forced more weight onto the front end of the bike.

The last sessions on Sunday brought out the ambulance a couple of times. During my last session, I watched a rider blast past me at the end of the back straight. He made the right turn into the chicane and then lost control of the bike into the chicane left. When I passed the carnage, the bike was cartwheeling down the track. Luckily, the rider did the right thing and let go. The bike was trashed but the rider was OK.

A coworker of mine came on Saturday. He said my bike was easily the best sounding bike on the track. On Sunday, I was pitted amidst several families that came out for Father's Day. I had to tiptoe the bike down the paddock lane to keep from waking the baby next door.

Next stop Grattan, Michigan for an STT Pro School track event on July 1st.

Ride safe.

Jet City Racer
06-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Good job BG, and most importantly you kept it shiny and upright. :cool:

One suggestion, the bike has so much torque that with the speeds you're running you shouldn't be spinning it up and getting into tank slappers. Try running one gear higher EVERYWHERE next time you go there and I guarantee you'll take major time off your laps.

Watch the videos you took of me. You'll notice I was in the 1:30's but short shifting and only revving the bike at around 6-7k through the turns and maybe 9,000-9,500 down the straights.

Forget what you learned riding the 600. SHORT SHIFT!!!

snort-snort! :)

:peace:

BikerGeek
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I thought about trying a diiferent shift point. I was shifting at 8 grand most places around the track. On the main straights, I revved out to 9500 which is where I have the shift light set.

I will experiment further.

The Dunlops Sportmax GP are holding up well.

Ride safe.

07-01-2005, 08:09 AM
If you get a headshake, don't put more weight on the front. Keep the front as light as possible. Have fun out there, Autobahn does like pretty cool from video I've seen, but there are some big bumps!
Come down and see us at Jennings GP next wnter! No bumps.

I had a couple of tankslappers. One incident on the back straight was particularly nasty. But my instincts were good. I did not chop the throttle and grab the brakes when the tanskslapper occurred. I kept the throttle open and forced more weight onto the front end of the bike.