PDA

View Full Version : Why change the gear oil at the first 500km

g0g0
04-29-2005, 07:12 PM
In the workshop manual, it advises to change the gear oil at the first service (500km). Is this just to check that everything is ok? It shouldnt be just becuase the oil is change surely. Is there any other way to just drop some of the oil to see if it looks clear/clean and just top it up, or should i drop the entire amount, I know its not much.

Everything else seems to be a full systems check on the bike. Any other points i have missed that should def be changed?

TiminIndy
04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
During the break in period of any machine, lots of metal shavings are worn off as the gears and other moving metal parts "get used to each other". If you save the oil you drain and pour it through a cheesecloth, you will be surprised at how much oil is in there.

g0g0
04-29-2005, 09:03 PM
ok thought so, so we are putting 75-90 syth gear oil back into it.... workshop man says it take 110ml? Sound about correct? Any particular brand of gear oil, I assume gear oil, as with most gear oil full syth, the best i can pit in there that meets the viscos (75-90) req?

TiminIndy
04-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes--buy the best you can find. As stated in previous posts, fill it until it is overflowing out of the fill hole, then hold scoot level until nothing is dripping back out. Then plug fill hole back up.

You could flush it once by filling it once and draining that out again (out of the bottom drain hole). I could only buy it in a liter, which is enough to fill it 9 times! I think I bought Mobil 1 fully synthetic 75 W 90. I'm gonna change mine when I put in my new clutch tomorrow.

g0g0
04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
OK My top tip for filling the gear box back up with oil, I went to my local Veterinarian and picked up a 60ml Syringe, drip line, and a pair of gloves (all which they gave me, but about $2.00 worth) the drip line fits perfect into the fill hole. 2 x fills of the 60ml syringe, and i was done. Throw it all away gloves and all, cause i hate the smell of gear oil at the best of times, let alone on my hands.

Thought you all might like to know my top tip. Don't know how you all do this job, but it sure was easy this way.

g0g0
05-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Nobody liked my top tip???? Thought i would atleast get one comment.... :crybaby: