PDA

View Full Version : Someone try and tell me SBK is BORING

jng1226
05-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Did you see those races today?!!!

Gregorio Lavilla is definitely making it exciting with that restricted GSX-R 1000. When they get that bike further developed this year, it's over for Ducati.

antz
05-18-2003, 02:19 PM
i cant understand why they restrict it if theyre gonna just make it more powerful, what is the restriction? what has it been restricted to? the average power for a superbike? coiuldnt they jst race a gsx r 750?

Key Walshe
05-18-2003, 04:46 PM
The airbox is restricted so less air gets in etc etc so the power isn't as high as it should be! So as it's an inline 4 cylinder it should have more power than that of the v-twin Ducati but due to the restrictors it doesn't! <em>Simple explanation i know but kinda covers it</em>

It's SBK's organisers way of trying to make the field more competitive as it became obvious the twins where clearly faster than the 750's and also to allow 1000's like the R1's, GSXR thou's in as they're now more popular as road bikes than the 750's so it's an attempt to reflect the bike's more and more people buy and use on todays roads and to also try and keep the manufacturers happy as it was also clear Ducati were (and still are) dominating the series due to their great knowledge of twins. Unfortunatley the change to allow 1000 4's in which was mainly brought about by Honda kinda bck-fired with the restrictors as only Suzuki decided to enter officially which is the main reason there's such a depleted field and it's now a Ducati cup.

ApriliaFox
05-19-2003, 12:31 AM
I loved it - edge of seat stuff - just great racing. Interesting that in the UK the Suzuki's are allowed to run UN restricted but the Ducatis (998s) are still kicking their asses ..

mrvenjer
05-19-2003, 04:36 AM
The 2nd race was brilliant, magical, I was glued to the set the entire race.

K.

Ricky J
05-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Race two was absolutely astounding, but did Neil HAVE to win again? As far as rules go, this year is an experiment for Suzuki to learn the new rules. SpeedTV.com ran an excellent interview with Lavilla last week- he said his bike makes monstrous amounts of low-end grunt and that he needs to be really careful about applying throttle exiting turns. The way he expressed it the powerband is TOO bottom-weighted with the restrictors and it's hard on tires. He said his bike isn't as fast as the 999s on top end and that was quite plainly shown at Monza I'd say! But Gregorio did feel that his GSX-R will draft a faster bike better than most- boy, did he use that characteristic yesterday. Next year ALL World Superbike machinery will run the restrictors: twins, triples, fours. I do not share the pessimism about the twins' demise however- the series is administered by the Italians and Italians build twins. A fairer competition is desirable for obvious reasons but there's no need (or desire!) to make things lopsided again, this time in favor of the fours.

buck000
05-19-2003, 10:44 AM
I thought having CE II as a guest commentator was kind of a bonus...:smokin:

Paul
'01 Futura

iiph
05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
after CE left honda VTR1000 become slow as a dog , did honda destroyed that bike or noone can ride the thing ? i am just puzzled ,.and were is hagas bike ?

ApriliaFox
05-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Colin's Championship winning bike(s) are being ridden in the British Super Bike series by Plater and Heckles and not doing well ..... the Suzukis and Dukes are thrashing it .. to be fair it takes a while to get familiar with a new bike and also it is running different tyre brand ...