PDA

View Full Version : For those of us who have a bad wind problem!

Haribolman
01-13-2003, 04:15 AM
And I'm not talking about the baked-beans kind either!

I ordered my SR50 Ditech with a Givi top box fitted to an Aprilia mounting rack. I have been very happy with the extra carrying capacity this gives me, but had noticed that the bike was getting buffeted quite badly when riding into strong winds. It would actually get quite a wobble happening, which must have looked like I was riding the bike whilst intoxicated!

Anyway, I happened to remove not only the top box the other day, but also the mounting plate that locates the box onto the rack. To my surprise I noticed that I could actually move the mounting plate forward several centimetres and bolt it in a position where the rear edge of the seat only just clears the front of the top box.

What is amazing is how much difference this small adjustment has made to the handling of the bike in the wind and when the box is loaded. I've spent several days riding around in a very strong wind and I can hardly tell the box is there at all! Just about zero buffeting!

Moral of the story is if you're getting buffeted by your box...move it forward!

Bishop
01-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Most guys who tour or do miles on bikes know that trick.
When your load sits to far behind you the air flow goes around you and then builds up in front of your load, you allways should have the load far enough forward that there is very little room between yourself and the load, so the air flows around both of you.

That's also why gearsack rack bags are designed so that they can be mounted on either side of the rack, forward or back, for either solo or pillion riding.

Haribolman
01-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Hey Bishop,

How's Brisbane going?

It comes as no surprise to me that moving the box forward helped stabilise the bike, but what I found surprising is HOW MUCH difference it made. Because you live in Brisbane you are probably getting the same wind we've been getting for the last week. And now that I've moved the box I'm happy to ride in the wind with no problems at all. I wouldn't have even wanted to go out previously. A total transformation from only a movement of a couple of centimetres amazes me. But I'm happy and that's all that matters!