PDA

View Full Version : Reduc @ Pocono this weekend?

john flores
04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Any Reduc members in the forum heading to Pocono this weekend? I'll be riding Saturday in the Intermediate group. #181. CBR600F4 with yellow tank and unpainted bodywork. Look for the orange Honda Element...

CarlosT
04-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Good luck, Senor Flores. Say hi to Marco and Jean :D

Sal Khan
04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Heard about the rain! Suuuuuuucks...

But the next time you see Renard tell him to ride an RS250 so he gives everyone a chance to catch up. ;)

hank
04-24-2005, 09:51 AM
John,

How was the track day - any actual rain, or just a sprinkle?

I am looking into Reduc for next season - TeamProMotion is getting crowded and there is an ever increasing number of squids parking their full litre I4's into each turn.

Last event a Pocono there were 2 helicopter rides over the course of the day and so many tarmac-surfing episodes I lost count...

Dug206
04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
John,

How was the track day - any actual rain, or just a sprinkle?

I am looking into Reduc for next season - TeamProMotion is getting crowded and there is an ever increasing number of squids parking their full litre I4's into each turn.

Last event a Pocono there were 2 helicopter rides over the course of the day and so many tarmac-surfing episodes I lost count...

Lots of open track with Champion Sportbike Club.

hank
04-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Lots of open track with Champion Sportbike Club.

On weekends? That's the key.... I'll check out the website.

Thanks for the tip!

john flores
04-24-2005, 07:30 PM
I was scheduled to ride Saturday, but the fog and rain led me to abandon and hope for better weather Sunday. As it happens, Saturday did eventually clear up enough to ride - 3pm or so, and those who remained rode as much as they could until the 5:30 close. And just my luck - Sunday was awful day for a trackday, but we weathered the weather - low 40's, cloudy, cold wet track.

First couple sessions takin' it really easy on the CBR600F4, then realize that street DOTs (Metzeler Sportec M1) have loads of grip, even in this crap. Even when finishing your session the left side of the rear tire feels lukewarm and the right side feels stone cold (Pocono East is primariy left turns). Even when the drizzle that starts to fall turns into flurries! Only times the tires ever felt odd were:

- when I ham-fisted the bike into turn 1, downshifted into 1st by mistake (it's a 2nd gear corner) and felt the rear slosh and slide while the nose was pressed down on the front brake. I let go of the front brake and tipped it in - corner made. Ugly, but made. My bad, not the tires.

- deep into the brakes at the end of the back straight (on Pocono's tri-oval banking), the rebuilt front (Racetech valves and springs - thanks Rollin' Fast!) does a little chatter thing, as if the contact patch is repeatedly finding grip, then losing it, then finding it again. Once again, the solution is to get off the brakes and turn the bike in. Going plus half turn on compression helped the problem a bit, but need to really ride in better conditions to diagnose.

A dry line did eventually form, which allowed the pace to take a step up, but that's when the light showers that appeared on my visor turned into flurries! At that point, having completed a handful of sessions and brushed away the Winter cobwebs, and stayed upright, I decided to call it a day. Just as I started loading the bike into the Element, the sun comes out! Those that remained were treated to a couple of more good sessions, still cold, but rideable. All in all, just a couple of red flags for minor incidents. Seems like all took a :chillpill . Reduc has the reputation of being a safer organization with less squids on Gixxer thous who have more tattoos than riding skill. The only notable exception is when they run the big track @ Pocono - then the squids come out of the woodwork.

Overall, pace was around 70% normal speed for me, enough to get to the edge of the tire, but not enough to the far edge of the track on corner exits. Passed an R1, a Duc, a Honda 600RR and a bunch of others, mostly on the brakes. Some good little battles. I find that I carry more corner speed than most in my group (Intermediate), but I gotta learn how to pass more definitively. It's funny how some of the slower riders in front of me are getting their knee down while I didn't today - just goes to show that knee-down does not always equal speed.

Today wasn't the day to push it and try new things. Once I figure out how to pass then I think I'll make the move to Advanced and watch my ass get passed left and right LOL!

Even in the crappy weather it was way more fun than riding aggressively on the road. So if you haven't yet, get yo ass out onto the track - it's more fun than a hot tub of Paris Hiltons.