PDA

View Full Version : Iom

alice
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok so we are getting nearer the time for the TT - has anybody else booked to go over ?? There are a few guys from www.clubaprilia.net that have confirmed that they are going. I think the idea is to just meet up for a couple of ride outs and to have a few beers + a bite to eat.
Floyde (from this forum) has suggested we meet up in Douglas for errmmm an Italian of course !!!! top idea...
So I was still thinking of meeting up on Mad Sunday and going into Douglas for beer and food on the evening (Paparazzi ??).
If anybody has an interest pls let me know and I'll attempt to make a table booking / get a meet up time and place sorted for the Sunday ride out :) :)
cheers

Neil

BozoMoto
04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Howdy Neil,

I will be flying over (solo) from the States. I won't have a bike with me, but keep me posted, as I am always good for a couple of pints and trading lies. I plan to be camping near Douglas (Glenlough Farm, Union Mills?) 3 June through 10 June. This will be my first visit to the Isle of Man, any tips are appreciated.

BozoMoto
Bozeman Montana
'03 Caponord

The Dr.Jon
04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I plan to be camping near Douglas

Waterproofs! When it rains, it RAINS!

If you are without a bike then Douglas is the place to be for full on entertainment. There are good transport links around the island ranging from horse drawn tram cars to a railway to take you to the top of the mountain.

You will miss your bike though......A LOT!

Enjoy!

alice
05-04-2005, 04:15 AM
well, we are getting near to sailing time - yeeehah

I just wanted to confirm what was going on for the ride out and the meal:

we are definitely looking at a Mad Sunday meet up !!! and ride out, the Sunday evening will be in Douglas at an Italian Restaurant (well where else could we eat ??) called Paparazzi, the food is top quality and prices reasonable.

The ride out - I was thinking of meeting in Ramsey (Parliament Square) at around 9.30 / 10.00am, on the Sunday morning, and just canvassing your opinions on how to spend the day when we meet up.

I'm booking a table for 7pm at the restaurant so if you can confirm names that will definitely attend I'd appreciate it.

I've got 11 takers for the ride out and 8 definite takers for the meal (all from the uk aprilia site). I don't suppose that the restaurant are going to turn us away if we arrive with more people than I've told em' but I'd like to give them a fighting chance from the start...

cheers

Neil

Floyde
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Howdy Neil,

I will be flying over (solo) from the States. I won't have a bike with me, but keep me posted, as I am always good for a couple of pints and trading lies. I plan to be camping near Douglas (Glenlough Farm, Union Mills?) 3 June through 10 June. This will be my first visit to the Isle of Man, any tips are appreciated.

BozoMoto
Bozeman Montana
'03 Caponord

Thats a great campsite and location Bozo.. the bus route goes right past your campsite entrance and into town and runs at all sorts of times.. very popular site.
Waterproofs are a godo idea..it doesnt always rain, but theres always a chance ;)
Buy a TT Programme as soon as you land.. has loads of info in.
Have a great nights entertainment, but try to get ya head down early so you can get up in plenty of time to decide where you want to watch the racing from.. every year there are accidents and people rushing to get to spots cause they got up late and the roads are about to close..
Ohhh bring a camera.. and pop along to the Venue night club in Douglas on Sat 4th June and say Hi.. I'm playing with a Pink Floyd Trib band... tell the doorman your the harp player! ;)

alice
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
the harp player - right, is that after said doorman has beaten 7 shades out of you !!
I rang Paparazzi, and their booking policy is to 'turn up in good time, coz when we are full the doors will close'. So no advance booking of tables then, I suppose that if we can't get in there's always fish & chips folowed by liquid refreshment at bushy's - it's always good to watch the world go by... :) :) :)

alice
05-17-2005, 03:30 PM
hey bozomoto, bring your riding gear with you and I'll take you round for a lap on the back of the RSV - but the offer is very much dependant on how much you weigh though !! sorry to sound cheeky :) :) :)

BozoMoto
05-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all for the great info.

Alice, that sounds like a great offer. I weigh 170 lbs, (77 kilo's). Sorry, I don't know how many stones that is. I recon I've only got a couple of weeks to slim down if thats too heavy.

Floyde, Your gig sounds like alot of fun, I'll try to check it out.

Also, can anyone tell me what will be the best way to get to the Island from London? My return is via Edinburgh (wedding, not mine). I am told the flights are as cheap as the trains.

Hope to see you all there.

Cheers,

BozoMoto

FutIsle
05-18-2005, 04:01 AM
The weather here has been good for the last 2 weeks. This is usual. The turn is now coming and the usaul deluge is, no doubt brewing in the Atlantic. Heres hoping anyway.

Alice, I was just going to tell you that you cannot book at Paparazzi. Just turn up and hope to get a table. This is OK if you are not hungry and it is outside of TT. I would try Angelinos in Strand Street. It is run by the crew who left Paparazzi and set up on their own. It is good. You might be able to book there.

Glenlough is a decent campsite. The Rugby Club are also doing campint this year, on the road between Quarterbridge and Braddan Bridge. A bit closer to town, but once you are on the bus it does not really matter. No campint this year at Nobles Park (right behind the Grandstand) because the Douglas Council and Department of Tourism could not get their act together.

Lets hope this year's TT is not marred by the stupid and incompetent riding that we saw last year. Another pile of fatalities like that will really fuel the fire of our Transport Minister and his speed limit cronies. As for me, I am riding an oldish Triumph Trident at the moment as my Aprilia is smacked up following a fall in Belgium (see stupid and incompetent comment above). I will probably keep off the roads as much as possible over TT. It should be great!

alice
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I rang Paparazzi, and their booking policy is to 'turn up in good time, coz when we are full the doors will close'. So no advance booking of tables then, I suppose that if we can't get in there's always fish & chips folowed by liquid refreshment at bushy's - it's always good to watch the world go by...

thanks for the update FutIsle, but we'd already got that one sussed out :) :)

BozoMoto I'll pack the pillion seat for definite :) just be sure to bring your'e gear. I'll PM you a contact number.

cheers

Neil

Floyde
05-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Bump!

Its getting closer guys!!
Richard Brittons DMRR Paddock truck is here as is John McGuinness's.. Cant wait.. first practice is Saturday night. Now I just have to work out where to watch from!!! :)

Whats the final arrangemnet Alice?

alice
05-26-2005, 03:36 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP....................

yeeeeehah, I'll be on the ferry on Wednesday night....
Sunday is as previously advertised - meet up in Parliament Square between 9.30 and 10.00am, we'll look to leave the square at around 10.15.
How we spend the day is up to the group but the day will end with dinner at Paparazzi - or if we can't get in at another establishment :) :)
Ideas during the Sunday (for when we get tired of the mountain course) are varied at the moment with such wild and wonderful things as:

* Spend the day hooning over the mountain and get plenty of forum member footage for cut later to DVD, followed by Paparazzi for Dinner

* Hoon about the circuit for a while folloewd by, Jurby airfield track afternoon, followed by Dinner in Douglas
or
* Hoon about, followed byMotorcycle museum tour, followed by leisurely tour of the island roads, followed by Dinner in Douglas

In any event I'll have forward and rear facing cameras on the bike so should be able to get some good footage of all of the forum members that show up to play. I thought we'd either co-ordinate a one way freight to Bungalow Station and then take the A14 down thru Sulby Glen back to Sulby straight - we can then meet back up in Parliament Square for the next trot over the mountain section to gather more footage, or it's all the way down to the Creg and take the Laxey back roads into Ramsey and Parliament Square - the road down to the Creg obviously provides me the opportunity to catch some good fast wheel in the air action as everybody comes over the rise after Kates - thoughts ???

hmmm a choice of three so far - I know my preference given some good weather :) :) :)

that's right museum's really are cool places (maybe followed by a spot of sunbathing and join up with the Ariel owners club :devil: )

we'll just canvas the crowd :) :) :)

BozoMoto
05-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Alice,

I recieved your PM with the contact #. I arrive in London on Monday, and will ring you Monday afternoon. I too plan to be on a ferry Wednesday afternoon or evening, not sure at this point whether from Liverpool or Heysham. Sounds like there will be no shortage of entertaining things to do.

I look forward to meeting you all

Cheers,
Paul

PS, Here is the link for the webcam at the turnabout in Douglas

http://www.gov.im/tourism/webcam/Webcam.aspx

FutIsle
05-31-2005, 03:57 AM
It has been interesting so far. I am marshalling at Glen Tramman so I have had a good look at the riders on both practices. Ryan Farquhar looks to be going quick and did a 126mph lap last night. McGuiness is also on it. The weather has been good, but looks poor for the next 2-3 days, goddammit.

alice, be careful coming out of Kates and going down to Creg. There is a TT speed limit of 60mph down there and the cops are enforcing it quite regularly. Also the 40mph at Hilberry is seeing a lot of tickets, the road (30mph) into Kirk Michael is also being "radarred". Don't forget that points here count in the UK now (and vice versa). Sorry to be so doom-laden, but be warned. There are new stretches of no-overtaking on the mountain, particularly up from the hairpin to Waterworks and from Windy corner to Kepple Gate. The cops are on the look-out from time to time here, as well.

Had a fatality last night, which put the usual downer on things. 39 year old swede Joakim Karlsson at hus first TT who crashed his Superbike somewhere near Barregarrow. RIP.

alice
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the tip off Futisle, what !! no overtaking between windy & kepple !!! (I can understand the section between the hairpin and waterworks) but what the hell are they doing with the kates to hillberry - a 60 zone !!!
ahh well it'll still be fun - we'll just need to watch out for Mister Gatso won't we, lets hope there's a good communication system in place that lets people know where the camera sites have been set up !!!
Barregarrow now that's one place not to get things wrong !! as you say RIP

FutIsle
06-01-2005, 06:16 AM
alice,

not the whole section between windy and kepple. Just parts of it. You should be OK. The cops tend to sit at Kepple and keep an eye out.

Ride safe. Great practice session last night. Edit that comment about Ryan F doing 126 lap. Misinformation at the marshall post. Only 123. J McG is still fastest at 125. Farquhar was out for a lap on each of his bikes last night and looked awesome though..

alice
06-01-2005, 09:20 AM
thanks Futisle, I'm getting a pay as you go SIM in the IOM and hopefully I'll be able to keep my number which I've pm'd you. In any event I'll be on my UK number till midnight tonight.
cheers

Neil

alice
06-09-2005, 04:16 AM
well, just got back to the UK today and there just isn't wnough words to do the trip justice :) met up with Paul over there and took him for a couple of trips round the circuit - pleasure to meet you Paul, hope my riding was OK.
I'll post some pictures at some point and try to put up some video as well.
Till the IOM next year then (yup already pre-booked for 2006 and 2007).
cheers

Neil

Dvus
06-09-2005, 10:17 AM
sounds great. waiting to see those pics.

FutIsle
07-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Bump!

Where are those pics alice?? :tired:

alice
07-04-2005, 05:16 AM
damn it I need to get my arse into gear and get them posted up !! sorry guys

must try harder ( a comment often seen on my school reports )