PDA

View Full Version : aprilia sr50 or malaguti phantom?

larryep
02-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Has ANYBODY EVER rode on these two bikes/

what is your opion.

Dutch Royal T
02-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Both Minarelli LC or AC engine. Except all NEW SR's are DiTechs now.

Pre 2000 = Minarelli engine.

Looks wise the SR is more appealing to me. SR has 13" wheels, Phantom 12"

I do find the new SR fork way too soft for the sporty character it resambles.

larry ep
03-01-2003, 08:39 AM
the larger wheels also appeal to me on the aprilia.

couple of other bikes that appeal to me. The bennilli 491 and the yamaha jogg rr. The problem is that these bikes are not available in the usa. I like how they fill up the middle of the bike with I guess a compartment. This makes it look like less of a scooter and more like a motorcycle. I think that this trend in design will catch on.

Right now in the st.louis area there is shop a piece on both bikes. I can get the malauti for about 400 dollars less then the aprilia. I have not ridden on either yet.

Being inexperience to ridden scooters how will I know if I am on a deretricted scooter?

I just want to keep up with traffic around 45 miles an hour.

BuzzScooter
03-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Munroe Motors in San Francisco is a Benelli dealer, and they list the 491 ST and 491 RR on their website (www.munroemotors.com) under a section called "Benelli Scooter Preview". There's no other info, but maybe they'll be importing the 491 to the U.S. in the near future. I've never been to their store but I'm planning on checking it out sometime soon.

larry ep
03-03-2003, 12:44 AM
BuzzScooter
thanks again for the info.

runtracer
03-03-2003, 01:13 PM
hey larry, i see youre from STL, im from bloomington il. once you get your bike we need to organize some route66 scooter runs or something. ive got a phantom, i like the sr almost as well but its pretty much a matter of personal taste. i went with the phantom due to the lack of tuning products (and local dealer) for the ditech at the time. lots of guys on here have done some tuning with theirs and its sounds pretty good. i just cant truck the bike to chi or stl everytime i need something done with the fi, so i went with the carbed 'guti due to the sheer # of options available. my biggest gripes with the phantom are; the stock battery is junk and there is no hi/lo beam accomodations. i do like the headlamp lens on the sr better than the open lights of the phantom just because bugs suck.
good luck on your purchase.