PDA

View Full Version : air filter

atomicjake
04-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi. i have a 2004 sr50 ditech, it is de-restricted and goes about 63mph. would a malossi performance air filter help me get more performance?

jamie
04-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Hi. i have a 2004 sr50 ditech, it is de-restricted and goes about 63mph. would a malossi performance air filter help me get more performance?Definately...u will do at least 70 with that on.. :lame:

Dragster pilota
04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
atomicjake in da house:
would a malossi performance air filter help me get more performance

What do you mean with "Malossi Performance Air Filter" is it an open type filter that you mount on the throttlebody, if so DON'T DO THAT since the DiTech don't have an Air Flow Meeter and can't correct for the increase in air going througn that type of filter and it will spell DISASTER. If you are talking about Malossi Red Sponge filter that replaces the stock filter in the stock air box you will gain slightly in response but I doubt that you will gain anny HP but the Red Spong filter is much better quality than stock and can be cleaned & olied a bunch of times....

DP says: I always retrofit Red Sponge in DiTech's when the old is done with....

Demo
04-11-2005, 07:56 AM
So Malossi's Red Sponge is good for ditech but any other "open" filter isn't? E13 for example?

If I add my ditech Red Sponge, there will probably be some changes in sound right? :)

atomicjake
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
so the cone won't be any good? the red sponge filter would give me more? will i have to take my bike 2 my aprilia dealer to get my ecu sorted as there will be more air flowing in?

Demo
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
so the cone won't be any good? the red sponge filter would give me more? will i have to take my bike 2 my aprilia dealer to get my ecu sorted as there will be more air flowing in?

If I understood right, you don't have to take your dealer for sorting your ECU for Red Sponge, just for other "open_type" air filters... but I'm not sure.

NeoGeniX
04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
The red sponge Is imo a complete waste of money...no increased performance or change in sound..ditech guys should just leave their filter alone there is no performance gain to get from it. And the ecu cant be adjusted for more airflow...u can only put it in developer mode. Thats all. Where do people get all these wild ideas?

TiminIndy
04-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Just keep it clean and be sure to moisten it with oil.

On the other question, I don't believe there's any way to "sort" your ECM to allow for more air.

Dragster pilota
04-12-2005, 03:40 AM
neogenix in da house:
The red sponge Is imo a complete waste of money... Where do people get all these wild ideas ?

Like I posted, I always replace old stock Aprilia filters with Malossi Red Sponge for 2 main reasons, 1. After cleaning and re-oiling the stock filter 4-5 times (that's one summer of riding) it's ready for the trashcan but the Malossi Red Sponge will last almost forever. 2. The Malossi Red Sponge filter is some 40% cheaper than Aprilia stock filter (here in Sweden) so in the long run it's a bunch cheaper to run Red Sponge than Aprilia filter....

Sure there's no gain in power or sound (but who want's that?) with Red Sponge and the added air it gives is not enough to need more fuel to be added. I have probably fitted it to over 150 DiTech's, sold it to atleast another 200 scoots and I have never had one complaint about the filter and when cleaned & oiled correctly it will last almost forever, the oldest scoot I know of and have fitted it on has over 20.000km on the filter...

DP says: The only place I use wild ideas is in the rides I build.....

atomicjake
04-12-2005, 03:46 AM
what do you mean oil it? how do i do that and what do i use?

Dragster pilota
04-12-2005, 04:09 AM
atomicjake in da house:
what do you mean oil it? how do i do that and what do i use?

The same way it's done on Moto Cross air filters. I prefere Twin Air products, first soak it in the cleaner then rise it with warm water, let it dry and then use filter oil to coat it but don't overdo it, it should be sticky but not soaking in filter oil.....

DP says: The right products makes it easy......

g0g0
04-12-2005, 05:51 AM
DP: whats the item number on the filter? 1412130?

Dragster pilota
04-12-2005, 07:33 AM
gogo in da house:
whats the item number on the filter? 1412130

For 04 and older Aprilia Morini & Pure Jet motors, YES....

The 05 Factory has a totally new air-box and filter and as of today there's no Malossi fiter available....

DP says: Drove some 200km on my de-retsricted DiTech this weekend, FUN, FUN, FUN......