PDA

View Full Version : Removing Variator

Johnboys222
03-01-2003, 10:46 AM
I tried to remove my variator, to play about with some different rollers but even with 2 of us trying, me on the spanner and my mate on a Buzzetti holding tool, I cant get the nut off.

Itīs not a left hand thread is it guys?

Or has some big gorilla just tightened it up too much!! Could even be me, trying to remove it the wrong way!! :lol:
Is there a torque setting for it?

pstraub
03-01-2003, 05:55 PM
No, it's not a left hand thread. I had the same problem. My dealer said the best way to remove the nut (front or rear pulley) is an impact gun. I tried it and the nut comes right off, no problems. Of course, you need a compressor and impact gun + socket, but it works great.

yoderbilly
03-01-2003, 09:05 PM
If it's a Minarelli engine (or copy of), when you put it back on, torque it to 22-25 ft/lbs. Don't you just love busting your knuckles on those cooling fins?:mad:

Johnboys
03-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Iīve not got the use of a compressor or airgun so Iīll just get a bar for over the end of the ratchet to give me more leverage.

The floor and sidestand hurt just as much as the cooling fins!!:lol:

Dutch Royal T
03-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Spanner? better use a "rattle" hmm don't know the english word. Rench perhaps?

Anyway, the big problem is you and your friend do it together. You have to balance each other.

You have to hold both spanner+buzetti tool. Then you can pull them away from each other using both hands. You can get much more power this way.

Tightening is even easier, you can use one hand and pull the 2 tools together.

Hope you understand this poor explenation.

tiba karotsu
03-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Dutch,

i think you may be referring to the RATCHET that makes that "rattling" sound when you turn it.

well what we do when loosening the nut is to use an oil filter wrench (chain type) then cover the outer half pulley with a thin rag so the jaw of the filter wrench doesn't score the outer half pulley. after making sure the oil filter wrench grips the outer half pulley very firmly loosen the nut with a socket wrench with the filter wrench acting as support. do the reverse when tightening the nut.

i hope you understand this guys as it's hard putting this into writing.:lol:

Johnboys222
03-02-2003, 11:47 AM
I tried using a filter wrench, chain type, to hold the variator and and I broke the chain!! Seriously, the link broke, itīs that F*%$ing tight. With me and my mate pulling the ratchet and holding tool in opposite directions we practically picked the bike up!! :mad:

Once I get it loose it will be a lot easier next time to change the rollers because Iīll tighten it to the torque settings that yoderbilly said, 22-25 lbs/ft.

What sort of top speeds, in kmh and acceleration times do you get with the setups that you run?

I read all of the info that you put on here about the 70cc kits, exhausts and transmissions etc, but was wondering about the speeds.

Cheers guys

Dutch Royal T
03-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Ratchet, thanks, that was the word.

Ok this SHOULD help you. Put on the buzetti tool, now turn the buzetti tool just as long as you need so it rests against the frame of your scooter.

Now you can use both hands, or even better, use your foot so you can step ONTO the rachet. Now you can put your entire body weight on it and you will never pick up the bike because all the force is directed towards the ground.

And you can use your hands to hold the bike while 1 foot is on the ground and 1 on the ratchet's handlebar, so just lift the weight onto the bar bit for bit and this way, even the most tightened screws come unbolted. (remember don't worry about the buzetti tool, because while you press on the rachet, the buzetti tool is locking itself against the frame) Can't get easier than that.

Good luck.

Dutch Royal T
03-02-2003, 07:19 PM
*WARNING*

BTW, the use-a-friend method is dangerous.

I did it once. I held the tool, while a friend kick-stepped onto the tool. He kicks it down, I go up. You can't do anything about the force. That's why 2 people trying to pull/push a tool in the other direction, just won't work, ever.

But what I was about to tell: while my hand got kicked up to times, I didn't even feel my hand got cut. And I mean BAD. Ever felt the edges of the crankcase, while the cover is off. Man, RAZORSHARP edges. So sharp I didn't feel that my hand was cut right to the BONE. :(

Suddenly I see all this blood and I thought is was a small cut, but when I tryed to look, I could see right onto my bone. Had to be stitched in the hospital.

So look out!

tiba karotsu
03-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Dutch,

EEEEEEEWWWWW!!! GROOOOSSSSS!!!:eek:

lucky you still have all 10 digits or otherwise it's hard to work with one less digit especially if it's the thumb.

Johnboys222
03-03-2003, 04:57 AM
That mustīve been really bad cutting your hand on the edges of the crankcase. Hit everything else so far, except the crankcase. Thereīs still time though!!:lol:

Iīll use the buzzetti against the frame method later. Thatīll definetly work. It will when I start jumping up and down on the ratchet. :evil:

yoderbilly
03-03-2003, 08:58 AM
There is a cheap tool called a ``band wrench", which looks just like an oil filter wrench but the strap is (adjustable) a heavy rubber band. With this it is hard to do any damage to the variator. You can get one at a Sears or Harbor Freight, they run about $20 U.S. ( get the larger model) I've used it a ton on theses stupid variators, works great.
Dutch is right about the twosome deal, you just tend to get in each others' way on this one.

rstewart1737
03-07-2003, 01:47 PM
If you plan on playing around with the variator a lot, it might be a good idea to get an electric impact wrench from HarborFreight.com . I bought one and it was only $59.00. Works like a charm, nut comes right off.

-Rick

phidauex
03-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Harbor freight is a great store. Lots of metric tools, and insanely cheap prices. Most of the stuff is a bit lower quality than true professional gear, but at the prices they have, it doesn't matter! I got a full pneumatic rig with compressor, impact wrench, air ratchet, hoses, sockets, etc for just over 200 dollars, and it makes life working on the scooter MUCH easier! You could go even cheaper and get one of the cheap electric wrenches. I wouldn't trust it for day in day out use, but if you just need to pop your variator open now and again, it could make your life a lot simpler!

Peace,
sam