PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Trouble

PK RS250
03-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here with a few suggestions.

I'm currently rebuilding the engine on my rs250. Pulled the engine out and everything, cleaned up the engine, changed the pistons etc. But i also pulled the clutch cover off to fit a new gasket.

My problem is that now my kick starter wont spring back? I pulled the starter gear off and replaced it - tried the kick starter on it (without the clutch cover on) and it sprang back fine. But once i replaced the clutch cover, it just wont spring back? Any ideas on it? :bangwall:

Also, i dont know much about gears and all that, but at the moment it doesn't seem to cycle through the gears. Just goes up once and back down once. Thats not normal is it? So wtf have i done and can i fix it - or do i need to look at bringing it in to someone?

Cheers guys - always appreciate your help.

Pascal.

cowell#54
03-28-2005, 09:12 AM
i think theres a ratchet mechanism on the kickstart. not 100% on that though.
try and make sure you havent locked it up in any way or you havent got any thing stopping it from turning

Pro Backmarker
04-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi mate.
If you haven't already, Pull the clutch cover off again- it sounds like the mechanism isn't meshed properly.

Oh, and what you describe about the gear selection is normal- try rocking the back wheel (or turning over the motor with the kicker) as you select gears and it should run through the range.

PK RS250
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply guys,

i think i figured it out now. The gear was in properly and all, the only thing that wasnt right was the thickness of the gasket material i was using.

I could get the cover on fine and everything worked, but as soon as i tightened the bolts it started jamming again. So i think i just need to use a thicker gasket for it. Hopefully that'll clear up the problem.

Thanks guys.