PDA

View Full Version : Ditech 70cc kits for $259.00...

JIMMC15
06-26-2003, 02:50 PM
I hesitated to post this because it seems obvious and I really don't want to upset Micah, but why would anyone pay $499 for a Ditech 70cc kit in the USA when you can buy them over the internet for $259 from most scooter shops in Europe? Most of the pricing you see in Euro's includes 17% VAT Tax that you don't have to pay and shipping is about $40. I purchase mine thru a special at Scooter Center for $225. I bought several things at that time including an exhaust and shipping was still only $60 and I saved $50 alone by buying my pipe from them! I haven't found anything in the USA that was cheaper buying in the US compared to purchasing direct from Europe and shipping here. Most of the time I save a bundle. I still don't understand the $499 price for it. What price are the people paying for them who sell the kit's in the US If I pay $259 retail? I just hate to see Ditech owners not upgrading their scooters becasue they can't afford $499 for a 70cc kit.

jj008
06-26-2003, 03:00 PM
I am not exactly sure where the $499 price cam from, but That maybe how how much Malossi USA is charging for them. Also I believe in supporting the forum and the price isn' that bad. I payed $350 for my engine kit and carb. I don't even need to state how many days it took me to get my jetting right. To have a kit that is a drop in, bolt on kit with nothing to adjust is definitely worth $499.

Also there is the warranty issue. What if you get a defective ECU or cylinder? You would have to return it to the UK and pay more shipping. Or even worse they could say you fried the ECU and leave you high and dry. I bought my TP pipe from AF1 even though I could buy it cheaper in europe. But if I ever had the silencer blow out or crack or anything out of the ordinary I at least know that Micah & Ed would take care of me.

Remember sometimes good customer service cost a little more.

ed apriliaforum com
06-26-2003, 04:15 PM
we buy from the Italian distributor of Malossi.......the same people scooter-attack buys from

Our cost is way over $259 especially when you figure in the weak US dollar (1.2 conversion to the Euro), Customs fees adds about 5%, and international shipping.

We are not making a killing at $499...we're fair....

micah apriliaforum com
06-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Here is a fairly good explanation. 1st, I do honestly pay way more than $259 for those kits from my distributor. I have ordered plenty from the EU and as often as not they do not advertise the VAT tax....for the sake of argument lets just say in the $259 there will be VAT added.

So we start with $259, then add the 20% in the currency exchange between the now quite weak US Dollar and the now very strong Euro. (when I bought those kits the exchange rate was 1.2:1 plus 1.5% trancasction fee for conversion)...you get the price up to $310.80......now add the VAT that you are probably gonna get stuck with just like I did...multiply by 1.17 and we are up to $363.64.....and add the $40 shipping and you are up to $400.64.

That was starting with a price less than my cost....ouch for me! Many scooter shops worldwide have what are called "loss leaders", products that are sold at cost or a loss to get customers to buy from them in hopes they will be back, since many of these European scooter shops do millions of Euros a year in business with the Italians (Malossi, Polini, TP and the like) they not only buy stuff for less than me but, can afford to sell it at no profit or a loss. I must make some money on eveything that I sell or we are out of business. I do not practice "loss leader" marketing at this time and may never.

I know those kits are expensive and I would personally have some reservations about putting one on my bike, but I have learned to just not think what I would do and buy stuff and see if it will sell. I just bought a carb model SR so I could mod my heart out without spending too much....

Most of the stuff we sell can be found in Europe or in other online stores. I will make no apology for the price of those kits because I was not making a huge margin to began with. I try to provide the best customer service we can afford to however....ask the California Ditech owner who's kit showed up at his door with a chipped cylinder (damaged by the US post office) that he could not use, I sent him a new cylinder at no charge (same day) from my last "in stock" complete kit (no profit in that one)...maybe I can weld up and use the chipped one on my shop scoot or something. Another Ditech customer in San Antonio broke a piston ring installing it....and today I sent him the remaining piston from the now incomplete kit that donated the cylinder to Cali....also at no charge (he said the ring was defective and is sending it back for analysis...not something I would normally do).

<strong>JIMMC15, no worries, I do not take offense to what you have posted, I just wanted to explain my side.</strong> I am the guy who is putting up tens of thousands of his personal Dollars to get this stuff to America where we can all play with it and break it. Maybe, as my buying power with the Italians improves, I will be able to offer USA based pricing more competetive with that of the European scooter tuning shops. Right now I am doing the best I can with the resources at my disposal. <strong> If the Italians (Malossi, Polini, Top Performances, DR et al) and the Spanish (Kundo, Metrakit) are reading this, please feel free to respond to my numerous emails about selling to AF1 Racing / ApriliaForum directly, that would save us all time and money in the long term.</strong>

iiph
06-26-2003, 05:51 PM
micah i share your problem , its next to impossible to become agent for those mafia you mentioned ( the Italians (Malossi, Polini, Top Performances, DR et al) and the Spanish (Kundo, Metrakit) etc ..because they just gave all to one big mafia wholsellers

best way to beat the mafia to have is to have parts specialy made for you in china but they need a huge min order of like 1000 cylinders , race parts for Holiday and mantis scooters now available

tiba karotsu
06-26-2003, 06:32 PM
i agree with IP on that one.

Taiwanese are so very good at copying parts nowadays and quality is now better than the days of yore (those days they break easily now they can take a beating again & again and still you can use 'em to go home from the race).

what the Taiwanese actually do is buy an original part from Malossi or Polini and copies them and sells them out for much less and you get almost the same performance as that of the original.

i suggest you start looking for cheaper alternatives back here in the Far East.

JIMMC15
06-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the replies. I certainly wasen't taking into account customer service nor problems that could occur with my purchase.

Micah, I am curious why you have so many fees that I don't have to pay when purchasing from your Distributor in the EU? Current price is 279 Euro with VAT, I don't pay VAT in the USA so it's about 200 Euro, with the exchange it comes to about 259 US dollars. No currency fees, Import fees or VAT. Seems silly that it's cheaper for you to purchase like me and resell it than to purchase from your distributor and resell it. I'm just a little ignorant about international business to business purchases and want to understand.

I'm glad no one got offended by my post. It's just hard for me to understand the difference in price between the EU and the US. I would have assumed the only difference would be the exchange rate and shipping charges and that those together should be about equal and they are not.

iiph
06-26-2003, 09:23 PM
micah please email me at :

ad50273206@online.sh.cn

i have a proposal you cant lose, 100 engines for same cost as cylinder kit ! why buy a 70 kit when you can get a 100cc engine for same price ?and if they dont sell i dont ask for payment so you have nothing to lose ! i will not sell to public , i need to send them by cargo to one distrebuter such as you because each engine weighs 30kg

we have 15 brand new 100cc engine in box in stock ! it never run before but ready to run ! no BS ! if you want them they fly your way same day ! just email me ! it fit SR , they are bigger version of jog 90 but same physical size so they fit right in ! ( they come in 50mm to 54mm bore x 43mm stroke comes with long rod ! you need to pay $500 to get same rod lenght from mallossi ! we have several versions with different shock positions etc to fit most aplications ! ..

thats complete with 18mm carb electrics and everything ready to run ! jog 90 has taller gearing and stiffer pully spring than 50cc plus unrestricted CDI ! they make 2x ditech power right out of box plus we have years of expreience tunning these , we even put them in karts and ATV

rydah
06-28-2003, 01:09 PM
i always hear about those 100cc motors and you know what. i always hear about somebody sayin, oh you cannot get one unless you buy plenny. i only have one jog, why do you need 50 motors. if you ask me, no one should ever bring up those motors unless they are willing to part with one. oh yeah i would put up a jog 70cc ( mhr team/speed or evo h2o ) against a 100cc with a kit on it anyday.

iiph
06-28-2003, 04:04 PM
i talked to micah and problem is aprilia rear wheel do not fit on 100 , so the conversion is only good for someone who dont mind running a 10 on the back , now i think there would not be much interest , i wait to see if people still interested before dispatch

rydah i think you live in us ? reason they say min order 50 is because sending one engine to US cost $300 by DHL or normal mail , the engine itself only cost $200

if 50 engines sent it goes by cargo cost about $50 per engine , its not possible to send only one engine by cargo because you must rent the whole container ! so if you are willing to pay the shiping email me and i send only one by DHL

also there is no cylinder kits for 100 , but 70 pipe , reed cage pullies etc fit

jrturbo
07-01-2003, 03:06 AM
hi there

but where have you seen the kits advertised at 259.00 since the cheapest i have found is 272.00 in germany. And when I last checked with them they had no stock left of the kits and where awaiting for more to arrive.

Also does anyone know how much the polini kit is priced at ?

Regards

Joe Rubido

srtowner
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
i talked to micah and problem is aprilia rear wheel do not fit on 100 , so the conversion is only good for someone who dont mind running a 10 on the back , now i think there would not be much interest , i wait to see if people still interested before dispatch

rydah i think you live in us ? reason they say min order 50 is because sending one engine to US cost $300 by DHL or normal mail , the engine itself only cost $200

if 50 engines sent it goes by cargo cost about $50 per engine , its not possible to send only one engine by cargo because you must rent the whole container ! so if you are willing to pay the shiping email me and i send only one by DHL

also there is no cylinder kits for 100 , but 70 pipe , reed cage pullies etc fit

So you have to run a 10" rear tire with the 100cc motor? Well my Rally has 10's IIRC. If I had the money I'd be interested.

williamr
07-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Ed. Micah

I don't suppose you've fallen for this, but you don't have to pay VAT on purchases from the EU. It's a European tax and buying for export should be VAT free. Any decent company should be aware of this. Transactions within the EU have VAT charged, and the business claims the VAT back, but has to pay the VAT received from the person or business he sells it on to. The tax is designed so that VAT is levied and reclaimed at each stage in the manufacturing and supply chain, with the whole cost eventually falling on the end user. Anyone selling goods directly for export should make a customs declaration and not charge VAT.

Don't know what you get hit for in the way of US import duties though, or what sales taxes you have to add..

Rob

kurt
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Here's a few more interesting comparisions. All are Malossi parts:
55.7 mm intake: $88.47 from SF Dealer via Malossi USA, $43 from scooter center, reed cage $71 versus $49, HP Ignition $150 versus $113, overdrive kit $425 versus $241 ouch!

Total $736.44 versus $446.00 add $57.00 (7.75% sales tax) in Ca versus none via mail order. Shipping from SF $40 dollars taking up to 2 weeks depending on stock at Malossi USA in NY versus $60 scootercenter DHL taking 3 days. $833.51 versus $506 = 60% more cost to buy in the USA.

Now Sf dealer ordered wrong intake so they took it back and replaced with correct one, no charge but $20 shipping & 1 week time. Returning to EU would not be cost effective, shipping wise.

Malossi must be charging way more to there US dealers than the EU ones. But with price differences like these, the consumer really gets ripped if they support the US dealers. What's a poor scooter boy to do?

scootertrog
07-06-2006, 02:44 PM
one word - Roselle :mad:

scootertrog

DRT-Tuning
07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
DiTech.....Wrong Section.

Moved!

deathwest
07-06-2006, 06:14 PM
WOW a three years old post :) it was made on the old forum which was in text mode ?

For those who don't knew it it's there : http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/archive/index.php it's funny to read old posts on ditechs when it was "a new generation engine" something that no one really knows :)

Here is one of the first post which was against Motul 600 fully synth. oil (the oil which caused a lot of troubles and which is at the origine of the discovery that Motul and more generally all full synth. oil are collapsing the injector

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-8428.html