PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning expansion chambers out

andyhack
02-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Can anybody recommend a way to clean the crud out of my expansion chambers, I've been told to fill them with a solution of caustic soda and leave them overnight, this sounds effective but frought with danger.Is there any other way to go about it? Also I want to polish them up (they are arrows) where do I get the polishing gear and what exactly is the procedure..... I know this all sounds pretty basic stuff but if I am going to do it I would like to do it right.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

dowzerr
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
1.bung the end with a rubber stop or alternatively a large potato

2. stand it in a bucket, (bung at the bottom).

3. pour in a strong mix of caustic soda and water,

4. leave it to stand, it will bubble away and remove most of the crud.

be careful though, it can burn your skin too obviously

As for polishing I would recommend getting them coated in this (http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/Exhausts.htm)

docwat
02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Caustic soda is still the best thing to use, just make sure you wear a mask, gloves & goggles.

VinCBR900
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
...and add the caustic to the water NOT the water to the caustic otherwise it will spit molten caustic at you.

Cheers, Vincent

keean
02-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Dowzer,

How did that coating work out for you... is it hard enough? does it produce any more power. Dave Cooper warned me that it could cause the cylinder to overheat if the whole pipe were coated in ceramic. He recommended a nickel plating then to exhaust wrap the first 8 inches of each pipe only.

dowzerr
02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I dont actually have it on my pipes Keean, I know a few guys who race RS250s who have it covering the whole chamber and they have never had any issues with it despite running tuned engines.
I was thinkin about getting it done to the Giannelli's a while back but I think I'm maybe gonna get another set of pipes so it doesnt make sense.

andyhack
02-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Cheers guys for the advice, what sort of percentage of caustic/ water should i use to clean the expansion chambers? I like the look of the coated pipes but I fear crashes are iminent so what about some of the polishing kits I hear people talking about, again how do i go about it and where do i get them?
Thanks again for the advice.

docwat
02-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Cheers guys for the advice, what sort of percentage of caustic/ water should i use to clean the expansion chambers?

Just follow the instructions on the bottle, it'll tell you the correct amount to use. ;)

andyhack
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
got the stuff today, will give it a go at the weekend.Thanks for the advice guys I'll let you know how it goes.