PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Gauge

kaplano1
02-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Where in Sydney can I get a high quality Tire Pressure Gauge like the one below?

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=787

Thanks in advance.

FORZA
02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
You dont need a flash looking gauge, a Snap-On pencil type gauge is small and very accurate. It can be carried with you easily also.
Contact Snap-On directly.

Dave

OZSLR
02-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Not the pencil type ones I have used, or the sub $20 round dial ones all of which, while reading the same each time individually, I have found can be up to 10% out against a good one. I bought the Michelin dial Tyre Guage, set me back around $50 and comes in a small hard case. It's the ducks nuts but you need to look after them ! Mine travels under the seat and is not much bigger than a matchbox.

kaplano1
02-18-2005, 04:38 AM
You dont need a flash looking gauge, a Snap-On pencil type gauge is small and very accurate. It can be carried with you easily also.
Contact Snap-On directly.

Dave

I assume these are the Snap-On gauges you are referring to?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=1664&store=snapon-store

I currently rely on the digital reading at my service station when putting air in my tyres but I heard these can be very inaccurate hence I wanted to buy a better one.

I will checkout the Michelin one aswell.

Are digital gauges any more accurate?

Peter S
02-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I agree with OZSLR. The Michelin guage is very accurate. Although it is expensive compared to the pencil types it is worth the money.

FORZA
02-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I was told that my gauage was no good at the track until some one came over with the big dollar item. It was spot-on with mine, rechecked with others trying to find fault but to no avail. I cant speak for the accuracy of cheaper ones but the snap-on gauge is accurate and relatively cheap.

Dave

kaplano1
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Where did you guys buy your Michelin ones?

I don't think Bob Jane, etc would stock them but I haven't tried yet.

OZSLR
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I bought mine from a reputable bike maechanic and tyre supplier down here (does not help you much) , but I would imagine any accessories retailer or major dealership would be able to get one for you.

Cheers

OZSLR
02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Dave, I also agree that some of the chealer ones can bve accurate, but I've had significant inconsistencies with the same brand. Not tried the snap on one. Might be a good option to take touring and leave the good one in the shed.

Thanks for the tip !

kaplano1
02-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I found the Michelin one.

A quick question:

The PSI scale goes up by increments of 2. Can you rely on the scale above (in bar) to read an uneven PSI? e.g. 29 PSI

sinbad
02-26-2005, 09:15 AM
We used to make these a few years back.

All mechanical types will loose accuracy the more they are used as more moisture and dust get into the internals.

I would suggest an electronic one as there are less moving parts to get damaged.