PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Tour Reloaded!

AdamT
02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
A heads up to the Sydney punters watching this thread ...

The Melbourne crew are looking to do a cut down version of our Alpine Tour in late March, leaving Melbourne on a Saturday morning, getting back on a Sunday afternoon.

The tentative dates at this stage are March 19th & 20th.

The plan will be to ride from Melbourne across to Bairnsdale, up through Bruthen, following the Great Alpine Rd to Omeo then up over Mt Hotham, across the Tawonga Gap then staying somewhere on the VIC/NSW border overnight (possibly Tintaldra or Jingellic ...)

On the Sunday we will return to Melbourne via the Granya Gap, Real
Murray Valley Hwy, Tallangatta, Yackandandah, Beachworth, Myrtleford,
Whitfield, Mansfield and Yea. From Yea we can then make our way back to Melbourne via Healsville or Whittlesea.

Are any of the Sydney Aprilia owners interested in organising a similar version of this ride, heading south and staying overnight on the Saturday night at the same place as us so we can share war stories and a beer or three?

Adam

Exdukenut
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I'd be interested in attending, one day, but that weekend is definately out for me. Track day Friday 18th, plus the wife is away in the US for 10 days, from the weekend before, till the following Tuesday.

Keep em coming though.

:cool:

Johnny in Oz
02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Adam, I'm also planning the track day on the 18th.

Besides, as it happens I'm going down that way on the weekend of 26th Feb, staying a couple of nights in Thredbo as a riding base.

On that topic, I've heard rumours of speed restrictions and vigorous policing of the Alpine Way. Anyone details from south of the border?

John

AdamT
02-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I have heard that the speed limit on the road (racetrack) from Thredbo to Khancobhan is now 80km/h ... and policed :-(

What a shame, this was a fantastic stretch of road with very little traffic beyond Thredbo.