PDA

View Full Version : Rain tire Question..

Pookie
12-17-2004, 11:38 PM
There was a thread posted sometime ago about Race tire shelf life being 6 to 8 months...

Does this apply to rains?

RTS is selling a set of Dunlops for $299+free shipping. If I remember correctly, they were around $370 at the track.

Aprilia94
12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
I can remember when rains were way more money. Honestly I don't know if the same rules apply for rains vs. regualar track tires. The compounds are going to be way different I would think. At the same time, rains are judged on how well they can disperse water. On a wet track that is likely the most important issue. I would say if you have a spare set of wheels to throw rains on, get the bargain price. Unless you're a top-caliber rider the difference in months of the tire's life cycle likely won't be noticed. I wouldn't notice.

Scooter
12-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Ditto what Les just said. If it boils down to having to mount rains unless you are a upper crust rider who has lots of rain experience you will not notice.

Discounted rains versus guys on DOTS will give you the win, though... :cool:

I have 1 set of Mich rains from about May 2004 that I will be keeping for the 05 season. The rubber is still very soft and showing no signs of hardening due to age or sunlight. I would trust mine 100% Just keep them out of the sun.

No Quarter
12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
at our last race of the year it looked like rain....

To buy rains for one race?

The tire guys said "keep them out of the sun, put them in black plastic bags and store them in a cool place and depending on how main rain laps you run they can last for a couple of years"

So thats what I did.

I bought pirrelis but the word at the track is that michilin makes the best rains.

Jet City Racer
12-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Buy spare wheels complete with rotors and mount up a set of rains.

Why?

Because you'll never need them if you do. :D

14 race weekends in Washington and Oregon last season, one day of rain. (and on a Saturday)

Figures.

Pookie
12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Jet City Racer
Buy spare wheels complete with rotors and mount up a set of rains.

Why?

Because you'll never need them if you do. :D

Figures.

So true. I highsided out of first place with a 4 second on a wet track back in May.

Picked up a set of rims and figured I'ld buy and mount if needed. Obviously I didn't for the rest of the season.

Might as well save a little and get it over. Thanks all for the input. Have a great Christmas Holiday.......