PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air?

steveo
05-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Has anyone tried connecting the tube from the front of the bike directly to the airbox, and closing up the factory hole? The faster the bike went (higher RPM), the more air would be forced into the box...

Just an idea.

-Steve :cool:

oldskoolaprilia
05-03-2003, 04:35 PM
You probably could devise a RamAir system (dont know if what you said would work as i dunno what an RS50 airbox looks like) but you would encounter problems with jetting. Also you would need to make the float bowl pressurised to same pressure as airbox, probably using the vent pipes...

Give it a try, always best way to find if it will work!!!

micah apriliaforum com
05-03-2003, 05:03 PM
The best way is to just build an airbox that the entire carb sits in....all pressure will be equal. That is how most ram air equipped GP bikes are done.

steveo
05-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Do you think there would be any gain in performance?

steveo is gay
05-03-2003, 07:46 PM
go back to riding your big wheel steveo...ram air? hahahaa

sdsurferone
05-04-2003, 04:12 AM
RAM air will maybe add 5% of power at 300 km/h (!!!) on some top end sportsbikes... so at a mere 100-130 km/h like is possible on the rs50 its effects will be negligible...

Some sort of turbo or pressurized induction will do a much better job...

Joukki
05-04-2003, 08:57 AM
and a turbo application on a 2-stroke would be close to impossible...?

antz
05-04-2003, 10:25 AM
pointless if not impossible

Joukki
05-04-2003, 01:49 PM
*starts to convert the stock engine to a 4-stroke :rollin: *

armourbl
05-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Well Steveo,

Been there, done that. I connected a hose to the air box and the intake on the front of the bike. It did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell. Basically just wasted my afternoon and a good vaccum hose in the process.

About the only real benefit I can see is it probably helps improve the likely hood that you are pumping fresh/cool air into the carb.

Reality is, it probably actually hinders intake because the air must travel through a restrictive track to get to the carb. Kind of like breathing normally through your mouth vs. breathing through a straw or even a vaccum hose.

ben

themadatter
05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Wot if it's raining real hard and the water gushes right down you clever little pipe into the air box and soaks through the foam filter in NO time which is gona stop ur bike from working cuz it wont beable to suck air though a wet filter, and even if it does it will just suck water into the carb and run it thorugh the engine..

Good idea guys..

armourbl
05-05-2003, 05:10 PM
The rain thing has little merit if any.

If it were truly raining that hard, you'd probably have no choice but to seek shelter and watch painfully as your RS was carried away by the hurricane.

ben

oldskoolaprilia
05-05-2003, 06:40 PM
How many modern 600's, 750's and 1000's run ramair??? Exactly rain isn't concern...

sooty103
05-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Wont the filter need cleaning alot more often/replacing? Cause bugs would go down the pipe into the filter?

Sooty103

themadatter
05-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Lots of bikes run RAM air; but they are designed too take in as little water as possible or if water is taken in, to get it out again.

If you wire you'r air duck on your RS50 straight too the airbox; you WILL get water into the air box and your bike will probably stop dead of oxygen starvation becasue of the wet filter. Or even worse get water through the filter and in round the engine.; leaving you in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain.

Yea sure; it would be nice for a little race bike that only comes out too play on summy days,,,

Just tryin to save one of you guys a bad expierence....

armourbl
05-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, again, the rain issue isn't really the problem.

While there is a chance some water would find its way down the path to the air box, it would have to be a lot of water to really effect anything.

If you were really, really concerned you could always put in a by-pass at a low point to allow the water to drain out before reaching the airbox.

But again, the rain water isn't the real issue here. RAM air simply won't help the RS performance.

The air box is located to far away from the front of the bike, which makes the intake track too long to be effective. Plus, the RS never reaches a top speed high enough to create the kind of positive pressure needed for RAM air performance gains.

The only real option realated to this with any merit is what Micah has already suggested. You must create a custom air box that actually contains the carb and filter.

This isn't that hard to accomplish if you are good with fiberglass, but you'd probably have to caculate some physics into the equation to make sure the volume of the box was correct. (kind of like building a sub-woofer box -- you could take a wild guess and get decent performance, but a well caculated demonsion will result in the best performance)

I would assume there is much more to be gained from more simple tuning options, such as engine upgrades, porting, etc.

ben

themadatter
05-06-2003, 02:36 PM
See wot ur saying about speed.
I'm on a 125, and thinking about doing 90mph with the rain GUSHING down the pipe. but sure theres guys on here claim 75mph ; i wud guess thats fast enough.

armourbl
05-06-2003, 04:21 PM
You sure are stuck on the rain issue.

Even at 90 mph, not much would get down there.

My TLR would actually suck air through the RAM intake at high idle. If you put your hand over the intakes you could feel the suction. So at speed I'm sure it was sucking in a lot of air with force. I rode it in a horrible rain storm once and never had an issue with water in the air box. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but the point is, even with that kind of extreme no water got in the air box.

By the way, it was raining so hard that in about a 5 mile stretch from my work to home commute I was literally soaking wet. My gloves and boots were filled with water, my jacket was soaked through and even my underwear was soaked. I remember this driver looking over at me at a stop light and just shakin his head with sympathy for me. Oh yeah, all my gear was water proof...:rollin:

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>So, to end this thread, NO Steveo, Don't try RAM Air on the RS...</strong></span>

ben

steveo
05-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ben! I was bored when I started the thread. :) I already knew the answer about rain and water, but I wasn't sure about any gain in performance on the small slow 68cc rides. My 600cc bike had ram air on it also, and It never sucked rain even in heavy rains.

-Steve :cool: