PDA

View Full Version : anyone here from melbourne

blackduck
11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Just trying to get some feed back on Melbourne from a local, Im considering moving down from Newcastle, NSW. Will be down for a look in about 2 weeks to get a feel for the place and was wondering where/what are the things to not miss

Peter S
11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Blackduck
Are you riding down?
Where are you looking to settle; city, suburbs, coast?
What are your interests (besides Aprilias)?
Coincidentally, I will be in Newcastle Sunday visiting a sick mate.
Would have liked to have a look around but will only be there for a few hours.

Cheers
Peter

morelli
12-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Just what we need, another Northerner coming to tell us how crap our weather is. Welcome anyway.

blackduck
12-01-2004, 02:46 AM
peter S- I wwont be riding down, I havent got enough time. Looking to settle on the coast somewhere between Geelong and Port Fairy or between the city and say, Seaford. Interests are riding of course, snooker, fishing renovating houses, anything with a motor and the stock market. Oh and horse racing. Would like to know any local knowledge of where not to live, for whatever reason(crime,poor services, or just a shit area etc.) What are the better roads/trips to ride? Ive always read the trips that the journos from AMCN do along the Great Ocean Road and down to the island.

Ohmygewd
12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Anywhere along Port Phillip Bay, you can't really go wrong..just due to the expense of the area's.
Majority of business is in Melbourne so living in Geelong and further equates to a good 45-1hr trip down a very boring road. Bayside suburbs offer good public transport and riding in is pretty good down beaconsfield rd otherwise know as beach rd (beware for speed camera's!!!).
Living along the Yarra river and recently, Maribyrnong is also excellent and again, the crime is low due to the high house prices of these areas.
Stay clear of your Dandenong's (drugs), Springvale (drugs), Broadmeadows(more reputation) and Footscray's (drugs), Frankston use to be dodgy until they were classed bayside...really you every place has dodgy areas!!!
As for riding, you obviously got GOR but the high country, roads around Gippsland, the twin spurs and generally anything around the Great Divide offer excellent riding.

Fox
12-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by morelli
Just what we need, another Northerner coming to tell us how crap our weather is. Welcome anyway.

... have I mentioned yet how crap the weather is down there? :D

Ohmygewd
12-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Fox
... have I mentioned yet how crap the weather is down there? :D

Oh did l also mention that there isn't any EPA/RTA noisy exhaust rules down here?? :p:

morelli
12-01-2004, 03:16 PM
have I mentioned yet how crap the weather is down there?

Did you know your cab drivers don't speak English?

Peter S
12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Blackduck
The Bellarine Peninsula (just outside Geelong) has got a lot going for it and certain sections of it are still relatively good value as they are only just starting to take off with the 'sea change' set.
Good fishing, surfing and diving, and only 20 to 30 minutes to the Great Ocean Road. Geelong has got everything you need shopping wise (although the Aprilia dealer has recently gone belly up)! There is also a fair bit of employment in the area. And if you need to go to Melbourne it's only 1 hour on the new freeway.
Most of the west coast towns down to Port Fairy are popular holiday spots. i.e. busy in summer, very quiet in winter, and would be great places to settle in if you are self-sufficient or lucky enough to find work.
And Ohmygewd, early last year the EPA set up a noise testing station at the start of the GOR and fined dozens of riders for excessive exhaust noise ($500 a pop)!

blackduck
12-01-2004, 07:02 PM
peter s- thanks for the tips, I'd say I owe you a beer.. Is that EPA station still on the GOR? the bellarine spot sounds like thats where I'll concentrate on looking next week. I have a mate, Phil from Geelong Carbon Craft that used to say that it was a good spot. How far are the Flemington,Caulfied,Mooney Valley etc race tracks from say Geelong??

Ohmygewd
12-01-2004, 07:37 PM
PeterS, true but it isn't complusory like NSW where you have to retag your bike if you put an aftermarket exhaust???!!!!

Blackduck, buy a house around Essendon, Moonee Ponds, Ascot Vale and Coburg area's and you are a stone's throw away from Flemington, Moonee Valley and The Meadow (dishlickers) if you are after a good punt as they are only 10-15km away from each other with Flem and the Valley only 2mins from each other (could walk from Flem to The Valley).
Geelong and Werribee are the closes tracks to you if you live in the Geelong district and again, to get to Flem, The Valley (45min), Caulfield(1hr+)...it's a good drive although if you get up early, you beat the traffic and can get there for the early morning trials but you are waking up 1hr+ before me...

Fox
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Ohmygewd
Oh did l also mention that there isn't any EPA/RTA noisy exhaust rules down here?? :p:

Ouch! I actually prefer Melbourne weather anyway, well when it's cold. What sort of biker would be seen at the beach anyway!

Plus you forgot to mention you can park on the footpaths down there. What a bloody good idea!

Peter S
12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Blackduck
Flemington and Moonee Valley are about 45 minutes from Geelong and you could add about another 15 minutes for Caulfield.
The EPA set up a temporary noise test station on the side of the road, and as far as I am aware have not been back since that day.
Your right though Ohmygewd, our noise laws are much less restrictive here than in NSW.

AdamT
12-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Fox
Plus you forgot to mention you can park on the footpaths down there. What a bloody good idea!

... and we don't have to pay tolls!