PDA

View Full Version : Modifying flywheel

98shaikh
05-23-2003, 03:48 PM
I heard from someone that you can modify the flywheel in some way to increase performance. Is this true and if so how is it done.

r6snl71602
08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
some one answer this. i would like to know the answer to this my self too

ceeco
08-12-2003, 12:48 AM
You can grind the four welds holding the starter gear to the flywheel and remove it, resulting in a much lighter flywheel. Most often for race bikes because you no longer have a starter anyway.

RS Fity
08-12-2003, 01:58 PM
is there a lightweight flywheel out there?

ApriliaGPR
08-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Its kind of an all or nothing hop up. All it will do is let your bike wind up a little faster, but you lose electric start. I think if your going to go as far as to cut the gear ring off your flywheel you should just pull your starter,battery,oil tank,oil pump,and your starter gear ring. 2-3 maybe 4 horse power is what it works out to plus you lose about 25 pounds on the bike. Great Idea if you want to race your bike but its not really practical for us road riders. Plus if you really want the power just hop your bike up with real perfomance parts before you start chopping it down. If you want see this taken to the extreme look at Micah's bike it's 60 pounds under standard wieght, plus he has all the mods its a monster.

rs50rider
08-15-2003, 04:56 PM
I have not seen any pics for along time. Are there any new ones out there?

Micah / AF1 Racing
08-15-2003, 05:02 PM
I have been very busy building customer bikes so I have not done much with my bike until today. It is getting the full Metrakit Pro Race treatment. Close ratio tranny, 70cc cylinder, PR pipe, ignition box, reeds, 28mm Kehin carb kit...etc....oh yeah and a new crank since I bent the last one. I have seen this bent/broken crank on the flywheel side a couple of times recently...strange but it may have a lot to do with the rpm we are running the little bikes at now...like 15,000rpm. With the Metrakit Pro Race set up I hope to get over 15bhp at under 14,000 rpm running VP's CMP race fuel and a lot of compression.

ApriliaGPR
08-16-2003, 02:33 PM
You'll put your eye out!