PDA

View Full Version : What do I do about my stock RS50?

haupia
05-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Just picked up a brand new 2003 RS50 this past week. I know I need to break it in (only 20 miles since this post), but it is so frustrating because I was told by the dealer not to take it above 6000 rpm. I love the bike....very sleek! However, it only looks fast. Will I gain anything by just changing the sprocket sizes and adding an aftermarket muffler? What about the LOOK slip on? I don't know how to do engine work, and so I am afraid to do the big bore kit, and I'm too cheap to have a mechanic do it for me. If all else fails, I might just sell it. If anyone is interested let me know. Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
haupia
PS - based on previous posts, I value all opinions here!

CrAiGrOx2002
05-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Has the bike been derestricted this will take to to 55mph + depending on your weight... also u have to buy full exhaust systems there not like 4strokes... adding a 'perfect' silencer may give a lil gain as the std silencer has a waved baffle...

Once your bike is fully run it / de-restricted to run the best oild and begin moding :D i stuck a 21mm carb on mine and have just finnished my silencer!

sprockets will make a difference but u will have to know what to change to,... these bikes peak power are at high rpm like 11000-13000rpm so dont gear to stop the high rpms (like i wanted to do when i first had the bike) they love going into the red :D

haupia
05-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Thankz Craig. Yep, I believe the bike is deristricted. Bought here in the USA...was told US models are not restricted. I can't tell. Took the bike up to 50 mph the other night out of boredom, at least that's what the tach read. Sounds like the only way is to do the big bore kit.
Thanks!

CrAiGrOx2002
05-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Ahh... right your in the US even better for you... were restricted :P your also i the right place as yes ican get parts. but if your in the US get yourparts from Ed & Micah there the best around and im sure ull get to see theit RS race & street bikes there the finest tuners of the rs's around along with a few people off the forum who will have awsome advice...