PDA

View Full Version : Problems

mhensell
05-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi guys....I'm new to the 50 and I have a little problem. Coming out of winter storage I noticed that the bike doesn't have any juice. Put a new battery in and still no juice to the lights but for some reason the horn works. The bike will not start with either the starter or by bumping it. Any suggestions?

RS75 53
05-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi.
Check to see if you got all the battery cables in place.

Check to see if you installed the battery the right way. Red Pos. Black Neg.

If you have a volt meter. Check the battery to make sure it's charged enough. It might run the horn. But nothing that pulls a larger load from the battery. ie the starter.

Check the wires in the exposed areas for corrosion. ie. rust and green powdery residue. Check at nuts and the plastic connections. Poor grounds too.

Does the starter crank over at all? And just not start. Or is it not doing anything at all?

If the starters not spinning. Sounds like something electrical to me. If it is spinning and just not starting. Sounds like fuel deliverie then.

On my bike the lights never came on unless it was running. Horn did work though.

Hope you get it fired up soon.

Later
#53. A 6 thousand dollar bike with a homemade seat.

RS50 Jeff
05-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Does the starter work? If it is turning the motor over, pull
the spark plug wire off and hold it next to the motor to see if it throws a spark when you thumb the starter. Hopefully it does.... Post results.
Jeff

mhensell
05-28-2003, 07:32 PM
The starter has been broken for quite some time. The bike has been bump started succesfully ever since it went out.

RS75 53
05-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Hi

Bum starter eh. Guess you can't check for spark then. Unlesssss..... Don't happen to have an electric tread mill handy to put the rear wheel on to spin it do ya? I'm not joking either. It's ahhh...... kinda been...ahhh.. done before... At this one place I know.

OK. From the first post. It's sat all winter. And I take it this is the first time your trying to get it going.

Could be old gas. Put in new.

Pull the line off at the carb and make sure it's getting gas. Thought I read something about the fuel petcock going bad on the run position and people having to use the reserve setting.

The carb could be gummed up or dirty.

Check the plug. Could be foul now.

Tell us what you find out.

Later