PDA

View Full Version : Tom Byrnes lives!



Fox
11-09-2004, 07:46 PM
I may have missed this while away but I thought they had closed. Procycles has taken them over and they still look after Aprilias. I'm going to a preview of the new BMW K-1200s (hey I get a free prize!) there.

Still I'm glad I took the bike to Aitkens as they really seem to be enthusiastic and know what they are talking about (and they race the things).

RinOz
11-10-2004, 02:17 PM
wonder what their like now?? I'm still deciding on where to put my Tuono on consignment!!
I'm gunna check out that BM up here, I quite like at the island!
You selling Fox? what you gettin next?:)

Fox
11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by RinOz
wonder what their like now?? I'm still deciding on where to put my Tuono on consignment!!
I'm gunna check out that BM up here, I quite like at the island!
You selling Fox? what you gettin next?:)

I have the serious hots for a Moto Guzzi ..... but every time I ride one and get back on the Mille it's like going from a tractor to Ferrari! .... I still want one though ... :)

Have you posted your bike on Bikepoint or Autotrader?

Procycles who took over Tom Byrnes have a good rep and the showrrom is very nice and upmarket so a good place for your Tuono.

Here's a pic of me on the Guzzi (in my dreams), apparently the bike makes me look a lot slimmer and younger :D

Scot p
11-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I had a V11 Le-mans for a month before I got the Tuono, great handling bike for the weight, sound great even with stock pipes, totally gutless. but you can wring its neck without fear so they are great fun to ride...

There my be another guzzi in my riding future...

cya
Scot.

Exdukenut
11-10-2004, 08:36 PM
it's like going from a tractor to Ferrari!

But a Guzzi motor, IS A TRACTOR engine!!!! :d :d

:cool:

RinOz
11-11-2004, 12:22 AM
I have the serious hots for a Moto Guzzi
same here, waiting to see the Breva 1100 :D

Fox
11-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah I think 'fun' is the word. Great looking bikes with heaps of character but a Mille / Tuono / Falco would run rings around it in the twisties. But for pottering around or touring it would be a blast.

I'm hanging out for the Griso myself ..

RinOz
11-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I've got a MkIV in the shed at the moment (sold from one mate to another, I'm the courier), certainly brings back good memories of my old MkIII, apart from the back torture of course:D

Fox
11-11-2004, 09:13 PM
I was thinking something a little more modern :)

blackduck
11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
from an aprilia to a guzzi? dont do it to yourself. i have gone from a Daytona racing 1000 to a mille years ago and am still smiling. After first riding the mille I thought what a waste of time guzzis are.

Scot p
11-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Fox
I was thinking something a little more modern :)

NIce , just like a tuono but without any power,,, but they have loads of torque...

the bike shop at Artarmon (northside cycles I think ?) had a nice V11 sitting in the showroom, think it was a rosso corsa, but may have been a rosso mandello....that was a few months back but i dont think it was going to be moved fast..

cya
Scot.

RinOz
11-12-2004, 12:33 AM
surely the 4 valve thing must go........ good enough for me anyway:)
& I wouldn't mind one these in the shed either just quietly;)

http://nortonmotorcycles.com/images/gallery/pg_blackbike.jpg

Scot p
11-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by RinOz
surely the 4 valve thing must go........ good enough for me anyway:)
& I wouldn't mind one these in the shed either just quietly;)

http://nortonmotorcycles.com/images/gallery/pg_blackbike.jpg

They dont do a 4 Valve at the moment....

Yep the norton looks nice,bet its a bit pricey so if i was to go retro it would be a Triumph Thruxton...hmmmmm maybe next time a thruxton for the street and a RS 250 for the track...

cya
Scot.

RinOz
11-12-2004, 03:10 AM
it's in the latest amcn for $28,600aud, so you could get both of yours for that:) bargain.........

Fox
11-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Scot p
NIce , just like a tuono but without any power,,, but they have loads of torque...

the bike shop at Artarmon (northside cycles I think ?) had a nice V11 sitting in the showroom, think it was a rosso corsa, but may have been a rosso mandello....that was a few months back but i dont think it was going to be moved fast..

cya
Scot.

It was a Rosso Mandello and I rode it- seemed like a bad version of the Mille- and Leigh is right - they were tractor engines!

But I took a Scura (like the black bike above) for run today and it was fabulous. Remus pipes, sounded great.

It's like comparing apples and oranges though. You'd be surprised how many people have a Mille AND a Guzzi... anway it's something for the future .... a great bike to potter around on ...

OZSLR
11-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Guys, my story.

First Falco (Black 01) then wanted to try some others including some "character" bikes but staying away fromt the big 4. Triumphs all of them. T'Bird, Sprint ST, Hotted Speedmaster (like the Guzzi sounds great but gutless) and what has been in my garage since March 04 and I pine for nothing else......SL1000R carbon cans and chip.

I learn't my lesson :(

And I am not going to test ride an MV F4 1000 when the opportunity presents, that's right out !!!!

RinOz
11-15-2004, 04:49 AM
I much prefer dual exhaust:(
http://www.moto-station.com/cgi-bin/photos/imageLeech.cgi?source=IF&ct=1100430111&file=/Fonds_ecran/Motos/Motos_serie_plus_de_125/Moto_Guzzi/Moto_Guzzi_gamme_2005/Moto-Guzzi_Breva_st1gz.jpg

righto........ why won't my photo links appear:confused:

Fox
11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RinOz
I much prefer dual exhaust:(
http://www.moto-station.com/cgi-bin/photos/imageLeech.cgi?source=IF&ct=1100430111&file=/Fonds_ecran/Motos/Motos_serie_plus_de_125/Moto_Guzzi/Moto_Guzzi_gamme_2005/Moto-Guzzi_Breva_st1gz.jpg

righto........ why won't my photo links appear:confused:

SLR 1000 is a good bike ... I'm gonna have a look at one of those too ...

I agree RinOZ - the Guzzis have a fantastic sound with the twin pipes, it's a shame none of the new bikes have them! I'm sure there will be big aftermarket stuff happening.

kaplano1
11-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Fox
Still I'm glad I took the bike to Aitkens as they really seem to be enthusiastic and know what they are talking about (and they race the things).

I used to think the same thing but my recent service was very dissappointing.

The person who serviced bike topped up the brake fluid rather than replacing the rear brake pads which were so worn the wheel was making sounds each time it turned.

After the service, the carb starting leaking petrol.

Was not happy. Ended up taking it back and getting everything sorted. Doesn't inspire much confidence though.

OZSLR
11-21-2004, 09:28 PM
When I lived in Sydney, I used to get Gowanlochs to service my Falco and could never fault them. That was 18 months ago, don't know if that has changed.

Scot p
11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by OZSLR
When I lived in Sydney, I used to get Gowanlochs to service my Falco and could never fault them. That was 18 months ago, don't know if that has changed.

I have only been there once, only 2 issues ... Price & they had no idea when i got them check if the airbox restrictor had been removed, that and they pumped my tyers up, this nearly sent me high side the day after,, oh thats 3 things....I'm going to Aitkens or Tom Byrns next time.....

cya
Scot.

OZSLR
11-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Fair cop, as I said it was quite a while back. Mike Soderland did the work and it was at the time he has racing and tuning the Mille for the Pro twin series.

That Tyre pumping thing is not restricted to Gowanlochs either. I had a local Honda dealer fit new diablos last year, got home and they had 46 in the rear and 42 in the front. Oh and the front was on the wrong way round !!

I now "ALWAYS" take my tyre guage with me and check the rotation when I pick a bike up having had new tyres fitted.

Fox
11-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by OZSLR


I now "ALWAYS" take my tyre guage with me and check the rotation when I pick a bike up having had new tyres fitted.

Good tip Trevor. Never think that because they're 'experts' everything is set up right. No complaints here though and my God I LOVE the Power Pilots! The bike has never turned in and got such lean angles this easy before! And sticky ... whoa! I have to clean the insects off them :D

OZSLR
12-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I thought I'd revist this.

Was in our Sydney office a few weeks ago, just around the corner from Byrnes. On the way back from lunch popped in to see if anything had changed.

After about 10 minutes of walking around the shop, Sales guy approaches....."can I help you ? "

Quoted $39K on the road for the factory on the floor, had no idea there was new model due. Quoted $27K on the road for the RSVR, had no idea website was offering $2K off on current stock and that the new model runs Radial calipers. Didn't ask any questions about intention of buying, what else I was looking at, how he could entice me to buy an Aprilia.

Had very little knowledge of the products in general, nothing had changed IMHO. IN fact the showroom looked more sparse.

Cheers,