PDA

View Full Version : Tigs 60mm vs 80mm

Monkeyboy
11-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Hey All,

Thinking about the Tigcraft slip-on for my '04.

Any comments on the 60mm vs 80mm (Freaky big!) and the supplied chip? I'm wondering how the chip performance compares to the FP chip? I also need to retain the rear pegs for the wife. I figure earplugs will be mandatory either way but I guess I should take that into account as well.

Bluestreak, I know you got the full system, but how are they working for you? Any pics?

Thanks!

IronFist
11-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I want the 80mm full-system as well! But when i first heard that beast i freaked out!! The tigs are extremly loud. The Aprilia shotguns are nothing against it! That`s why i`m thinking about buying the 97DB-Version.

bluestreak
11-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I have not mounted my dual 60mm system yet, so I can only pass on to you what I have heard from others including Tigcraft Japan about their systems.

The single 80 is louder than the single 60 without any real performance gain. I'm told is redicuoulsy loud, even Tig says this. If your looking for LOUD, go to the single 80mm. Tig says my dual 60mm system will produce about 105dba sound pressure level. That's loud compared to most aftermarket systems and the single 80 is louder than it. Single can systems have a tendancy to be louder and have a harsher tone (read this as a more pronounced poping sound) than a dual system. This is because there is a higher pressure drop at the exhaust outlet of the can on a single system. Dual systems have twice the total area in the cans to attenuate the exhaust pressure waves, which are at a reduced velocity due to having two pipes and as a result the sound pressure level (loudness) and tone (popping) are reduced.

Tig says the FP chip will perform better than their own supplied chip. I suppose it is due to the spark advance feature of the FP chip that the Tig chip does not incorporate.

PM "Tuono Mike" for pics of what my bike with the 60mm duals looks like. He has one just like mine. It looks great.
He has sent the pics to me, but I'm not computer literate enough to post them.

clarkie49
11-04-2004, 03:18 PM
the 60mm is loud, the 80mm is really really loud :D

deksawyer
11-04-2004, 08:33 PM
The 80mm slip-on & full system 'only' have a 50mm core diameter silencer (other sizes are available upon request) whilst the 60mm slip-on has (you've guessed it ) a 60mm core.

I've used both 60mm dual full system & 80mm single full system and they're comparable as far as noise outputs are concerned - the 80mm single system sounds harsher and almost quite thin sounding, while the 60mm dual system (and the 50mm for that matter) is very deep and throaty and definitely louder. In a bassy sort of a way!!:p:

Performance is very different as well, with the dual system having much more of a stomp from lower down the revs...the single 80mm packs its punch much higher up the revs and is fairly addictive once you get used to it.

I know my personal preference................

D.

IronFist
11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
And what about the legal versions with 97Db??? How do they sound??
And what about their performance? Do they also produce a feelable increase of power, or are they only comparable to stock???

Rollin Fast
11-08-2004, 10:59 AM
The 80mm Is extremely loud. We have been having success with the slip-on system for the 03-04's The chip they are including with the system does not work well at all and we are using an Evo/Factory Pro chip in all of the installations we are doing. With this setup ( Tigcraft slip-on & Evo/Factory Pro chip) the bike is a monster. There is a significant increase in power from stock. The slip-ons are 105db. If that is too loud, a beautifully machined aluminum baffle is available that bolts in with one allen head screw.

The Tigcrafts are in stock and no more than 5 days away anywhere in the US. We are located in NJ.

For more Tigcraft info go to:

http://www.rollinfast.com
http://www.apriliaapparel.com
(908) 236-9000

IronFist
11-08-2004, 02:30 PM
And how much power and torque do you loose with the baffles installed???

bluestreak
11-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I have yet to install and dyno my dual 60mm system, but the baffels must really hurt performance because the orifice is only about 30mm in diameter. That's half the 60mm core. I ordered them when I purchased my system and will do a dyno run (with them in place when I install the system) just to see how much they reduce power. I would image that the eprom would have to be remapped to cut the fuel back to compensate for such a big reduction in exhaust flow.

Tigcraft says they offered the baffel just to cut noise level to a reasonable output for inspection purposes. I personally don't like how it mounts in the outlet nozzel of the can with just one small screw. If I was going to run the baffel for an extended period of time, I would install an additional screw 180 degrees from the existing one.

If any one has sound pressure levels for this system with baffels installed, I'd like to see them. When I do my test, I'll try to borrow a freinds sound meter.

morphine
11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey rollin,

How much for a 60 mm dual system for a 04 Tuono?

Monkeyboy
11-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback all.
Just saw a post referencing Sato's.
I'll give those a look as well.

bluestreak
11-09-2004, 09:15 AM
A correction to my above post.

The baffels measure only 25mm in diameter.

tuono-rider
11-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey Blue! What's takin' so long with those Tig's? We wanna see 'um!!!!

Scotteq
11-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by morphine
Hey rollin,

How much for a 60 mm dual system for a 04 Tuono?

Check their website: http://www.apriliaapparel.com/Tigcraft.html

Scott :angel:

Monkeyboy
11-13-2004, 10:02 PM
This may be a silly question, but how is the Tigcraft logo applied?
I prefer it naked, like my bike. :D

Rollin Fast
11-14-2004, 08:13 AM
The last batch I have seen come without the Logo/Sticker applied to the muffler and it is your choice to put it on or not. If you want it to be naked or a sleeper exhaust it is perfect.

http://www.rollinfast.com
http://www.apriliaapparel.com
(908) 236-9000

bluestreak
11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Sorry for the delay, but I'm finding it harder to find the time these days for the Tuono. Unfortunatly Christmas is comming too!(Christmas already?) I promise I will get them installed before I die. Believe me, I want to get them on as much as ya'll do.