PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, Please!

C0bRSV
11-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Fellas,

I am getting ready to drop some money on my R- would like some opinions.

Would you A. buy O.Z.'s and Ohlins valves for the Showa or 2. buy Arrows headers (for the Tigs) and an Ohlins rear shock and perhaps a revalve on the fork, as well. As most do, I ride mostly road, with occasional track day. I appreciate all opinions! Thanks!

Crono
11-02-2004, 02:21 PM
O.Z wheels and an öhlins shock. The Showa can be improved a lot without any costs.

cman6453
11-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Why not just get a Factory and re-valve the front Ohlins?

Dr. Thrillride
11-02-2004, 03:43 PM
I would try even harder to buy a factory if you're going down this road. I'm in Canada and couldn't get a factory at the time I purchased. Now I'm doing all kinds of upgrades and paying dearly for it. Your factory may still need upgrades, but not like the R model if you're on the track. Once you get on the track with this beast, you will be hooked even more. If you're limited on what you'll do on the track and have made a decision to stick mainly to the street with the occassional track day, the must mods are the following (you'd do these to both Factory or R anyways)...

sprockets 15/42 or thereabouts,
airbox mod,
gut the air intake,
forks revalved
arrow header and pick whatever can (they all seem pretty good as long as you're not anal about 1-2 HP or so)
or arrow header and milleman exhaust mod
Map 2, PClll and custom map concurrent with all intake/exhaust mods above

that's lots of dough when you add it up! Then you need sliders for added protection. Stock bodywork is hard to come by.

As for your options, I'd do the suspension front and rear first. Most do exhaust first, but overrated in my opinion if you want top notch handling (I still run my stock cans, but have an arrow header and Devil cans to install later this month. This has been one of the last mods I've done and had the bike since March 2004). If you're into bling, get the wheels and exhaust system first. If you are into bling, it's likely you'll want carbon fibre. Start adding that up...holey crap, should have bought the factory! If you want to do it right the first time, buy the factory and do the mods in the list above, including having the Ohlins forks revalved by an expert.

likely missed a few, but many will pipe in to add to the list. Bottom line, if you can afford the factory, do it. But dont' let it stop you from buying the R.

:D

scott2ride
11-03-2004, 03:39 PM
As you already have the R, I would simply revalve the Showa shock and forks. Good kits will bring it up to better than the standard Ohlins on the Factory.

Get the headers and save some $ by coring your pipes and doing your own airbox mod. Get the Evo filter and sf so inclined, the Oz wheels or some BSD carbon ones (Sigh!):p:

RZRob
11-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Everybody's right here. Personally I tend to like the 'doctor's' advice. It's all in what your objectives are. If it's about bling, depending on how far your were going to go, it sounds like you're going quite a ways, then I'd sell the R and get a Factory (I see some going at deep discounts) and add to that. You'll probably never be satisfied (or have to make excuses) until you do.

I sure like the Arrows on my bike, but it was all for bling - plus the awesome sound they make with the baffles out.

RZ Rob

cman6453
11-03-2004, 05:08 PM
did he already have the bike? i thought he was just getting ready to buy it but hasn't ACTUALLY bought it yet. :confused:

scott2ride
11-03-2004, 05:12 PM
not 100% sure, but he said "getting ready to drop some money on my R-", which implys he's about to spend $ on his existing bike.

$5 says he has it already! :D

cman6453
11-03-2004, 05:16 PM
if he did buy it already, he probably hadn't read this thread prior to doing so...:happy:

so goes the seduction of the Mille.

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by scott2ride
not 100% sure, but he said "getting ready to drop some money on my R-", which implys he's about to spend $ on his existing bike.

$5 says he has it already! :D

scotty's right, it was just my inability to read and I got carried away since I'm really pissed that a factory wasn't available at the time I bought (can you tell?).

so, get the cans, ohlins rear, and revalve the fork

or trade the R for a factory, get the cans and revalve the fork:D

scott2ride
11-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Thrillride
I'm really pissed that a factory wasn't available at the time (can you tell?).

:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost :D :D :D he he

Oh, by the way.... "I've" got a Factory :p: snicker

But I had to wait 4 months....however it was worth it :D he he

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by scott2ride
he he

Oh, by the way.... "I've" got a Factory :p: snicker

But I had to wait 4 months....however it was worth it :D he he

your word...BASTID!!:D

why I'm really pissed is when I asked, 'what are the chances of getting a factory in Canada in the immediate future?', dealer said, 'absolutely 0%.' I waited another 3 weeks to buy since I was lurking around here trying to make up my mind (and you and Mossback encouraged me to buy), bought the R, then 3 weeks later, 3 factories showed up. Shite! In retrospect, none were red, all were black, so would likely look like shite by now and would have been far too slow, even for a turtle-like racer like me. :D

Incidentally, bought it for 22K CND, have put $11K into it thus far, and plan another 5K or so, including Clarkie's engine mod. As long as I can fork out the $2K to send him the bike!! kidding:D

scott2ride
11-03-2004, 05:47 PM
You have put $11k into the bike! Fark! What have you done?:confused:

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 05:53 PM
carbon, carbon, carbon...some paid for and not yet here (moan), some on the shelf waiting for the rest to arrive.

plus everything you've got on your factory less the R&T forks plus a whole lot more...streetboy...(that from a rank novice! Hah!) And a whole lot more to come this offseason. Pics when I'm done...promise...and that from the guy who sends dead chickens to bullshitters.

this bike is the cat's ass!

remember, that's CND dollars, so that means about 2K US:D

scott2ride
11-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Guess what!....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
the Factory comes with Carbon carbon carbon already on it :D he he

Im sure you have lots of nice trick stuff, but I couldn't resist!

PS. Please dont send me a dead chicken cos I think they are fowl. :D

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
It's okay, I called you streetboy. Don't you think the carbon tank is the trickest? and the most expensive? Wait a second, a factory doesn't come with a carbon tank, you've just got some odds and sods here and there on your factory. :banana: :banana:

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 06:55 PM
and apologies to CObRSV for hijacking his thread, wherever he got to.:)

cman6453
11-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Dr. - I hate to rub it in but look what Clarkie's shop is selling:

http://www.seacoastsport.com/bikes.htm

Sorry man. I'm just as mad. I spent MORE than the Stage 3, that's just the stock bike, and am not even close to those numbers...at least that's what the arse dyno says. We all know how accurate those dyno's are...:happy:

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Yah, you're a bastid too!

I know, I should really trade my R in for a factory, but my bike is now beyond a factory, equipment wise, and there are no red factory bikes in North America, unless you do a bodywork swap. I just need Clarkie's stage 3 engine and figure out how to get him to tune it. That's 165 at the crank of course. We have a dynojet tuner here in Vancouver, but he's never heard of Aprilia or the Rotax engine. Great. :(

cman6453
11-03-2004, 08:01 PM
don't hate the player, hate the game... LOL!! i thought you'd hate me...

"no idea of what an Aprilia or Rotax is" and your point is? i still run into people calling my bike an Ah-pril-uh.

are all the other locations on PC's website too far for you?

http://www.powercommander.com/centers_overseas.shtml

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't hate you, but you ever heard the old saying, 'what a guy doesn't know, cant' hurt him'?. EDIT Do the trade EDIT, then to get it across the border after the 23% exchange and the State tax, I pay 14.5% tax on the Canadian amount plus $300 import fee. Shite, now it's a much more expensive bike.

With regard to the dyno, there's always Prince George HD! I'd rather take it to the Czech Republic and go racing with Rudolph (did you hear that Rudolph, I know you're out there buddy! I'm coming to Europe!!! :banana:).

Actually, I'm sure the dynojet guy in Richmond, a little south of Vancouver, can handle it. A bike's a bike in their mind anyways. Problem is, they're also a chopper shop and don't do much in the way of sportbikes.

C0bRSV
11-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I have had my R since November of last year. So far are Tigs, 42T Renthal, remap, PC3, and the prerequisite Evo plate bracket. Since the slow season is upon us here I am trying to plan what to do- I think revalving the forks is what I would benefit most from and that is where I intend to start. The main reason I want the Arrow headers for the Tigs is because my dealer dented the stock header changing my swingarm (twice due to battery overcharging) and won't fix it for me. And I don't mind the thread getting hijacked!

And to be noted is that bling is not my thing!