PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins rear shock spring rate

Dr. Thrillride
11-01-2004, 06:27 PM
If I understand it correctly, the spring rate on the Ohlins rear shocker is 550lbs, same as the Sachs on the R. At 225 lbs plus a little more with gear, 'reputable suspension guy' recommends a rate of 650 lbs. Absolutely wouldn't question his info as he's the expert, but what's been your experience with this folks? Anyone ordered a heavier spring to replace the stock spring on the Ohlins since you weren't satifsfied with the setup?

Is this why you use Penske Aaron (or is it because Ohlins USA takes too long to fill orders)?

20Hz
11-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I just called Ohlins USA this morning and got a nice helpful dude who answered my questions about my shock, including spring rates. You may have to call a back a few times to get a real person, but..

828-692-4525

Chris

Dr. Thrillride
11-01-2004, 06:38 PM
great, but anything you can share about spring rates? 550lbs, yes or no? If no, what is it? Thanks!

20Hz
11-01-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm 90% sure my spring rates would have nothing to do with yours, seeing as I have a 98-00.5 mille shock. Give them a call tomorrow, they'll tell you the spring recommendation(s) based on rider weight.

clarkie49
11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
a 550lb (around 9.5kg if i remember correctly) spring is about right for around 180lbs in street clothes, we have gone up to a 10.5kg spring for a 250lb rider and he loves it. a spring should cost you around $95 plus install (the Ohlins springs suck to change without the right tools).

I only prefer the Penske shocks because of the extra adjustability of the high/low compression adjustment. Penske (Tim Godshall in particular) hsa always been good to me over the years and i always support who has supported me, and i only try to use what i consider are the best components :)

Dr. Thrillride
11-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by 20Hz
I'm 90% sure my spring rates would have nothing to do with yours, seeing as I have a 98-00.5 mille shock. Give them a call tomorrow, they'll tell you the spring recommendation(s) based on rider weight.

silly me to assume you have an 04 RSVR (no I don't read very well either). Thanks for the number m8.:)

Dr. Thrillride
11-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
a 550lb (around 9.5kg if i remember correctly) spring is about right for around 180lbs in street clothes, we have gone up to a 10.5kg spring for a 250lb rider and he loves it. a spring should cost you around $95 plus install (the Ohlins springs suck to change without the right tools).

I only prefer the Penske shocks because of the extra adjustability of the high/low compression adjustment. Penske (Tim Godshall in particular) hsa always been good to me over the years and i always support who has supported me, and i only try to use what i consider are the best components :)

I was told to get a 11kg spring based on my 225 lbs without race gear on. I'll check with Dave at GP tomorrow on the number in case we got numbers mixed up. I haven't weighed myself in my gear, but it's probably another 25 lbs, easy...in fact it's probably more like 40 lbs. I'm on a HP increase program as we speak, not that I'm fat, but let's say too many office days lately.

PS Aaron, do you still have that Penske shock of yours for sale?

:D

Alex Galanis
11-02-2004, 03:59 AM
I am around 230lbs and went for the heavier weight spring. Works a treat. Here are my settings

clarkie49
11-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Thrillride
I was told to get a 11kg spring based on my 225 lbs without race gear on. I'll check with Dave at GP tomorrow on the number in case we got numbers mixed up. I haven't weighed myself in my gear, but it's probably another 25 lbs, easy...in fact it's probably more like 40 lbs. I'm on a HP increase program as we speak, not that I'm fat, but let's say too many office days lately.

PS Aaron, do you still have that Penske shock of yours for sale?

:D

sorry the shock is sold, but i might have an ohlins shock for sale in a moth or so if you can wait.

yeah either 10.5 or 11, the 10.5 went on a street bike not a race bike so you would want more spring on the race bike :)

Dr. Thrillride
11-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I ordered and Ohlins unit with Ed at AF1, but if the spring rate was not adequate, I'm sure Ed would have returned the order if there was a better solution available. I'll stick with AF1 if I'm going with an Ohlins shock and need to replace the spring. Got a call into Ohlins...let's see if they call.

Thanks Aaron!

Thanks Alex for the setup information!

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Well, Ed from AF1 took care of me and got me a 11.5 kg spring from Ohlins USA that he'll install on the shock. Excellent! :banana:

clarkie49
11-03-2004, 09:52 AM
awesome!

Ohlins will usually swap a spring out on a new shock (to an approved installation centre like AF1/Seacoast etc) for free as they know the spring isnt going to be returned to them all messed up :)

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I've tried to get OhlinsUSA to take back unused springs but cant seem to get them to do it.

We even have the official Ohlins shock spring compressor.....the most overpriced bottle jack you could ever imagine.

The shock also had to come from PU since they were the only ones with them. We got the last one in the USA.

Dr. Thrillride
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Ed / AF1 Racing
We got the last one in the USA.

so Clarkie's shock that he may in a month or so is worth a fortune!:D

Dr. Thrillride
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Now I understand what you meant. Zwieste Rooske, the Ohlins guru in Holland and the same guy that did one of the Rudolf Twins (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49955&highlight=twins), indicated that with my weight geared up, 233 lbs, the Ohlins shock needs modifying to be able to dial in more compression rebound (to match my Ohlins forks with the SBK cartridges). He, He, He (that's not a hee hee, that's a he, he, he). :D:D:D:D
:rambo:

clarkie49
05-05-2005, 07:16 AM
yeah i got my stock Factory Ohlins revalved by GP Suspension to see if we could make it as good as my Penske last year and I specifically asked for a bunch more low speed compression as the big hp twins tend to squat the rear more.

After two race weekends on it I like it a lot :cool: