PDA

View Full Version : Worried !!!!!1

Harry H
10-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Had a puncture on the way to work yesterday. Luckily it wasn't far from my destination and just managed to get there.

When I arrived though I soon realised that when the rear tyre deflates the bike won't stay up on the side stand. It just falls over.

So now I'm petrified if I pick up a slow puncture don't notice and leave the bike I could return to finding it damaged on the floor. Not only that but the way it's parked in the garage at home it would also fall onto my Lotus causing a double whammy.

Any bright idea's cause I'm not sleeping......

thunderex
10-29-2004, 04:01 AM
try to find a decline to park it on?

windy
10-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Harry

Would the side stand improver,,,er,,,improve the situation, it's on the first page of this message board.

Martin

Manu
10-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Damn ... now you got me worried too !!
:gunner:

Manu
10-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Now ... just to be sure I got it right, the bike will fall on the right side.... ?

tuonotommy
10-29-2004, 07:10 AM
I just bought a pit bull stand. I started to use it just for maintanance, but the bike looked so cool on it I decided to park it like that in the garage all the time. It doesn't take up much more room and the bike is much more stable. I live in California so earthquakes are always a concern, so this adds a little more peace of mind.

Harry H
10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Yes Manu it will fall on the right side

Tunotommy, I've got an abba pit stand as well but I can't carry that when I park it at work.

Martin, I'll go and check out the Stand improver.

Ricky J
10-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Every once in a great while you'll hear about a poor soul who opens the garage door to find... :(

It's not a frequent occurrence by any means and far more bikes get toppled by wind gusts, soft surfaces, and cars backing up! So the good news is Nerg Nail probably won't bite ya there at home, the bad news is...you leave it sometimes! :D

Seismic considerations for me are of increasing interest, with a pair of 6.0 magnitude earthquakes in this area over the last ten months. My preference is to leave the bikes on their sidestands and IN GEAR to keep them from rolling. So far, so good! That last quake happened while I was aboard the Futura...hmmm...what are the chances of getting caught out by a collapsing bridge or overpass?

You can run, or ride, but you sure can't hide!

karter18
10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Side stand improver?

can someone post a link?

RoyB
10-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Cut 3/4" off your sidestand and have a welder, weld on a larger "foot". This will allow the bike to lean over more and not fall over with a low tire. And a bigger foot is a good idea in any event.

On other bikes, you can file down the stop that the sidestand hits when it's deployed. This will tilt the bike more and make it more difficult for the bike to roll forward if it was accidently left in neutral. Don't file too much, it's amazing how little you need to move it for a lot more lean angle.

http://images7.fotki.com/v114/photos/3/36012/1277755/P1060006-vi.jpg

karter18
10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Great Thanks!

RoyB
10-29-2004, 02:05 PM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=40908&highlight=side+stand+improver

gordon gauge
10-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Manu
Now ... just to be sure I got it right, the bike will fall on the right side.... ?

How would that happen with the sidestand on the left side of the bike, unless the Euros get their side stands on the right side.

The obvious simple solution is to switch places with the Lotus and the Tuono, unless of course the Lotus is an Elan or something like that. ;) GG

RoyB
10-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Well...The bike is standing nearly straight up, barely resting on the side stand on the left. As the tire deflates, the bike goes even more vertical as the angle of the dangle changes....therefore the hypotenuse of the cosine which will equal the third order of ramadees and the tangent of 4 to the third power will indead have the bike falling to the right......

Of course if the bike is owned by John Kerry, it will always fall to the left, reguardless of wether it is north or south of the equator.

If I can be of anymore assistance, just ask

Prof. RoyB
Head Chair
Dept of Alchemy
MIT

tuonotommy
10-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

Manu
11-02-2004, 04:45 AM
My quick and dirty solution so far....

I decided to drill some kind of pothole in the garage cement floor and stick the side stand foot in there....

Harry H
11-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Why is the side stand so long though ?

Manu's Solution does solve the problem at home but not when you're out and about.

Wouldn't it be better just to have a slightly shorter stand ????

karter18
11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I have a friend that has a Suzuki Hayabusa and modifying how far the stand pivots is a common modification so the longer stand pivots forward more. I have never had a problem with the Tuono but maybe I will use the service stand or a sport chock at home.

GregBenner
11-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I had a flat on my Tuono when it was new. The side walls of the Diablo were so stiff it wasn't that apparant the tire was flat untill you got on the bike. Didn't have any issues with tip over either:confused:

GregBenner
11-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Harry H
Why is the side stand so long though ?

Manu's Solution does solve the problem at home but not when you're out and about.

Wouldn't it be better just to have a slightly shorter stand ????

If you go to the Ducati Multistrada site, you will read about lots of reasons why you may not want a shorter side stand. I had a larger "foot" welded on it for that reason.:(

Manu
11-03-2004, 03:13 AM
So Harry ...

What tires have you got on your Tuono ?
Diablos or D207rr ?

Harry H
11-03-2004, 05:01 AM
Manu

D207rr's. Not much left though. It's only done 1800 miles as well.

Think I'll go for B 020's (now they do 190's) for the winter commute and go back to something stickier in the summer

Manu
11-03-2004, 05:22 AM
I now have 2500 miles on my rear D207rr and it's close to the end.

I got same milleage out of the regular Diablo that came on my first Tuono.

I 'm now considering Diablo Corsa's, BT-14's, or Pilot power's and would be happy to get some feedback on those.

irdave
11-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Well, actually, Roy, I've got a question.

I'm having a wicked hard time figuring out problems dealing with magnetic fields induced by an electric current, and visa versa... We're just past it and on to electromagnetic waves, but haven't had the test yet- stuff just has my head swimming. The V=IR stuff was ok- once I figured it out, but induction is kicking my ass.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Donkeyman
11-07-2004, 03:50 AM
I think the best solution is to get a rear stand. It also makes cleaning the chain and washing the bike a lot easier.