PDA

View Full Version : Problems, fixes and upgrades

cman6453
10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
With all the problems and fixes that everyone's had to go thru, do you all find it gives the Aprilia brand, specifically the Mille, a more appealing reputation or more of a headache reputation? I was just reminded of what Harley and even Ducati goes thru with all their bikes. Yet Harley and Ducati enjoy their reputations. Will it not be long before Aprilia is not far behind and enjoy the notorious reputation as a sort of bittersweet love? One example is the rear brake that just doesn't want to stay fixed.

cwalker
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
don't ask me how, i haven't got a clue, but ever since i put on the gilles rearsets and put dot5 brake oil in, no more problems with the back brake... that is, if i bleed it about every 5000 km's.

maybe it's the position of the rear master cylinder ????
as i said, can't figure it out.
but if you think the US or GB aprilia importers are bad, try the belgian one!!!!!
:mad: :mad:

was on holiday last summer, middle of nowhere in scotland, when that f*cking clutch played up again....
called them, after 15 minutes of sh*t music and being passed along 4 times, the reply was:

clutch problem on a O4???? well known probleml?????? sorry mate (!) (i'm NOT BLOODY F*CKING WELL THEIR MATE!), there's no problem with the clutch on the 04 mille...... can't help you...byeeeee....

:gunner: :gunner:

mossback
10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
I think you are spot on. I have never had problems with the rear and I have had rear sets from early on. Relocate that POS to proper cooler location and problems solve. With the colder weather arrived I have to watch my combo braking as I tend to lockup the rear way to easy.

Gone sideways at a few stop lights, and I do use the fronts. Could be the dunny 208s are toasted though too.

amauri
10-26-2004, 09:33 PM
If you replace the rearsets and re-filled the system with DOT-5 or 5.1 fluid, how do you know what fixed it? Was it the M/C relocation or the fluid change?

My rear brake did not work from new, lots of air in the line.
When I first got my Factory home I flushed the system, bled and refilled with DOT-5.1.
3k miles later they are still able to lock the rear wheel, I've not had to bleed them again.

The rear brake on my Tuono is still perfect after one year, I flushed and refilled it with 5.1 also.

cman6453
10-26-2004, 11:55 PM
That's part of the headache reputation, the fact that some people have problems and some don't. Maybe it's a manufacturing issue? It's funny because I've read articles on how pristine Aprilia's shop is.

amauri
10-27-2004, 02:48 AM
My point is that the fix is to simply flush and refill with DOT-5.1.
Repositioning the rear master cylinder is not necessary.

Both my bikes had the problem to begin with, once properly bled they've stayed fixed.

cman6453
10-27-2004, 06:39 AM
i understand your point. the thing is that some people have had some kind of rear brake issue some have not had one at all. some people bleed the rear brake and the problem is resolved. some people bleed the rear brake and bleed the rear brake and bleed the rear brake and.... get my point?

shouldn't this 5 figure retail price bike come from the showroom floor w/ just the federally required specs to be undone by the consumer? not all this meddling w/ the rear brakes or any other part of the bike just to get it safely running? OR is Aprilia just going to have this reputation from now on?

MikeRSVR
10-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by amauri
My rear brake did not work from new, lots of air in the line.
When I first got my Factory home I flushed the system, bled and refilled. 3k miles later they are still able to lock the rear wheel, I've not had to bleed them again.

:plus:

Going on 5K miles without a problem with the rear after bleeding the brake.

Dvus
10-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I had to rebleed the rear brake plenty of times. I used a good bleeding machine and just used regular CASTROL LMA brake fluid DOT 4 and works great. The clutch well same thing bleed and bleed and bleed. I just pricked it with a pin in the dust cover.