PDA

View Full Version : 2003 (UK) modification experiences

DARSKi
10-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok I thought I would start a thread to share my experiences.

Took my STOCK 03 (UK) Tuono (17/42 gearing) with 3500 miles into my dealer today and did the following:

- replaced 17T front sprocket with 16T (15)
- derestricted airbox (Free)
- fitted Blue Flame slippon end can (light 'n' loud :D ) (230)
- Remapped EPROM (Free)
- Resynced throttle bodies (Free)

This is all I can say so far after a cold but dry 50 mile test drive...

OMFG!

When I derestricted my KTM Duke II (700+) it was a noticeable improvement...nothing like this.

For starters the 16T gearing as everyone says vastly reduces the effort needed to ride at low speeds compared to UK stock 17T.

Now all my gears feel like they have that little extra and 1st - 3rd are awesome!

I will have it on a dyono soon so I will post how many horses its pushing to the back wheel..as far as I'm concerened it's now plenty!!

I'm sure all the mods above have complimented each other because I am still in a fixed grin mode 3 hours after my test ride..

So has anyone got any other "low cost must have mods" before I give up reading/writing about it and ride the **** out of it?
(no cash for dual system - so I do mean low cost :) )

Anyway I'm happier than a dancing banana :banana: with my lot so thanks to everyone here for helping me out.
Cheers

Tuono SBK
10-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Change the rear from a 42T to a 44T, approx. 25, also makes the front tyre last longer ;)

DARSKi
10-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks mate, I was concerned about doing that because of some comments made on this forum about running out of play at the backwheel...or friction, MPG and clearance issues.

Have you done it? - did you get a new chain?

Any negative points at all with a 16/44T setup using stock chain?
Cheers

Tuono SBK
10-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Yes, I did the 17T to 16T change first, and then changed the rear from a 42T to a 44T a few weeks later.

Still using the standard chain, just enough play to fit the sprockets and get the rear wheel adjusted correctly.

MPG is still fine for 1000cc V-Twin, around 120 miles before the light comes on, same as my friends GSXR-600.

I would see how you get on with the setup and if it doesn't work for you, just sell the 44T on EBay. But I'm sure once you've opened the throttle a few times, that isn't going to happen :)

DARSKi
10-25-2004, 05:20 PM
done! - :) ordered from RSVR.net - my last spend on it for a while I reckon...oh until the spring when a touring screen and luggage of some description is needed for a long run down into Europe - to be blunt I cant ****ing wait!

Most of my mates have R1 and 6's - cant wait for the weather to turn...I got mine September so there has been little chance to show them why I bought it :peace:

tuono4
10-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Darksi, do you know what map you had put in. I will be getting my dealer to do the same. Seems pointless getting a chip if a factory tune can be uploaded.
My Tuono had a big stumble aroun 3-4K so it needs richening up in that area. The whole low end rev range felt a bit flat.

Manu
10-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by DARSKi
Any negative points at all with a 16/44T setup using stock chain?
Cheers

Be aware that the Tuono Factory or Racing has different gears ratio compared with the standard one.

The ratio on the factory is closer with longer first and shorter 6th.

DARSKi
10-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Tuono4 - I believe our UK bikes come with two maps as standard - your dealer can use an Aprilia tool to set the right map (amongst other things).

After sticking the 16T front on I have noticed it's helped me avoid the "lumpy" 0-4000 revs syndrome - I have been told a Power Commander, custom map or ultimately a dual exhaust system will remove the low revs hole.

I think I will dyno my bike in the new year (plus save my pennies) and see what a good bike tech recommends.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Manu
10-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by DARSKi
Tuono4 - I believe our UK bikes come with two maps as standard - your dealer can use an Aprilia tool to set the right map (amongst other things).

There's really no need for an Aprilia tool... All you need to do is clipping the right wire ;)

Robert Leslie
10-27-2004, 12:53 PM
I thought wire clipping was a thing of the past - does not work on '04 Tuono?:confused:

tuono4
10-27-2004, 02:25 PM
UK bikes can have the wire cut to open map 2. I beleive US bikes do not have the two maps - stricter epa regs.

Manu -with the shotguns i could not get it to run well on the de restricted map, even with richer idle it was barely rideable at low RPM/throttle positions. I was going to get another map loaded but i've since binned it so no need until i can afford another can.