PDA

View Full Version : Collector details for new Akro #8796999 exhaust for 04-Mille

amauri
10-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Attached are a couple of photos showing inside of the collector pipe from the latest p/n 8796999 Akro exhaust.

The first photo is looking from where the front pipe enters the collector, you can see that there is a significant restriction where the collector "U" bend pipes are welded together.

Is this normal?

amauri
10-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Photo from rear of collector pipe where it connects to right muffler.

clarkie49
10-19-2004, 08:20 PM
is it normal?

for that pipe yeah, is it a good design, no they just didnt make it how it should have been.

just my 2c

amauri
10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Once I removed the stock pipe I noticed that it is welded the same way.

Makes me wonder if they did this so that the exhaust from each cylinder would split at the collector on its way out, allowing each one to use both mufflers.

clarkie49
10-19-2004, 09:01 PM
the 2-1-2 system works well but it shouldn't have the protrusions like in that exhaust

again, just my 2c :)

Bremms
10-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes I too noticed the stuff going on in there.
the outlet side makes sense if you look at it long enough but tthe little lip on the inlet of the
front pipe could case some issues. The pipes
have a much smoother power delivery than the
stock headpipes with the Aprilia race cans. it would
be nice to play with some collector geometry and
size to see what you can come up with power wise.. I'd like to do a real X pipe with different
areas..

amauri
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by NewRSVR
Clarkie, Are the Arrow head pipes like that, or smooth all the way through?
Every pipe for these bikes (í04 RSVRís) I've seen so far has that same (Malady/design) which leads me to believe it's being done intentionally?

FYI,

I spoke to Greg at Giomoto this morning (Arrow importers for the US), he was kind enough to look at one of the Arrow collectors he had in stock and said that they have a smooth transition without the pipe sticking out like the Akro system in the photo above.

I guess the next question is, has anyone Dynoed both systems on the same bike? All else being equal, which one works better?

Amauri

clarkie49
10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
we are getting better results with teh Arrow full systems but that is just us :)

Befbever
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
I guess the next question is, has anyone Dynoed both systems on the same bike? All else being equal, which one works better?

The Arrow.

NewRSVR, not every pipe has that same design.

clarkie49
10-21-2004, 12:07 PM
i wonder if Akra designed and produced the stock headers........................... ;)