PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RSVR drag racing anyone?

hotpipe
10-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has motorcycle drag racing experience (preferably on Aprilia) ? Here in San Diego, we have extremely popular local drag racing event on Fridays (http://www.racelegal.com/news/news.asp). It is not the pro 1/4 mile drag strip, but 1/8 mile 4-lane track (with professional Portatree Timing System). It is open to both cars and bikes and I am planning to take my '04 RSVR there and give it a try. I know that I can't compete against Busas, ZX-10Rs etc. but I just want to have fun more than anything and race in a safe, controlled environment. At the same time, I don't want to completely embarrass myself either.
I have drag raced my muscle car there many times and I am familiar with the track (very slick), but it would be the first time on the bike.
To put things in perspective, here are some sample official time slips:

CARS:

1968 Chevy Camaro, ET 6.219@108.95 mph

1986 Ford Mustang, ET 6.336@109.48 mph

1969 Chevy Nova, ET 6.447@105.13 mph

BIKES:

2000 Kawasaki ZX9R, ET 6.411@111.38 mph

2000 GSXR 1300 R, ET 6.480@113.35 MPH

2002 GSXR 1300 R, ET 6.591@114.50 mph

As you can see, it is extremely competitive, with drag-tuned muscle cars beating the bikes. Anyhow, if anyone has tips to share as far as best techniques to launch, shift points etc. I would appreciate it. I figure that the RSVR shouldn't be much slower on the 1/8 mile track as the lack of ponies won't really show until speed is well above 120 mph? Or am I completely wrong with my assumptions? I have 15/42 gears which should help and Tigs to sound-blast the competition! :)

Any feedback would be appreciated. And wish me luck.

clarkie49
10-17-2004, 04:33 PM
with that gearing i would launch in 2nd gear, the problem you will have with 1st is that the bike will want to wheelie and you will have to chop the throttle.

hold the rpms at around 7,000rpm and slip the hell out of the clutch :cool:

Dr. Thrillride
10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
You'll have to go with a 2nd gear launch, as Clarkie suggests, with the 15/42 setup, unless you're happy with 9 second runs. All I can say is...practice, practice, practice that launch. I've spent a lot of time in the local university parking lot late at night practicing the 2nd gear launch. I'm not on the strip with my bike, but my holeshot's getting better with more practice. :D

hotpipe
10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
with that gearing i would launch in 2nd gear, the problem you will have with 1st is that the bike will want to wheelie and you will have to chop the throttle.

Clarkie, are you talking from personal experience or am I a guinea pig to test your theory? .:confused: "Slip the hell out of the clutch" scares the shit out of me man, I know it's 2nd gear, but still...is the 7,000 rpm your carefully calculated threshold which will launch the bike without lifting the front, yet strong enough not to stall? What if I launch below or above 7,000 rpm? Just wondering as my ass is on the line and I have never launched the bike in 2nd anyway?

Dr. Thrillride
10-17-2004, 05:35 PM
you can't just roll up and go for it, you'll either stall it or flip it if you give her 7K the first time. Yes, Clarkie's a, 'real' racer, read #1 plate holder, I'm a newbie, but with practice you will get it down, I did. start at 4000 rpm and work your way up.

Rutan
10-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Depending on how competetive you are, or will get, an electric shifter will help reduce your times. As for launching, I have never really dragged the RSV so I would go with Clarkie's reccomendation. In college we raced a lot of 600cc-1000cc bikes and basically launched each bike where the peek HP was made, and slip the hell out of the clutch. Some people like launching bike near red line, and letting the clutch out longer, but that will eat clutches fast. You'll also want to lower the bike a bit, and really lean foward for launches.

Marcus

hakan_olsson
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Must be hard to get off with such a top heavy bike. Isn't it?(wheelies)

KillerA04
10-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49

YEAH!!!
The first thing you should do is weld your Ohlins shock solid, to give you a "hard tail" for comming out of the hole better!
How about extending the front end six inches and putting some of those tassles on the grips too!

Felix Da Cat
10-18-2004, 08:04 PM
The best I managed was 12.11 žmile time at 5000ft elevation, but I'm also 220 pounds with full kit.

I think Clarkie's idea is good - he did mention it some time back. The front kept coming up and I bogged down on the launch a couple of times. It's easier on the Busa.