PDA

View Full Version : Agusta F4

Arnie
10-16-2004, 06:07 PM
I was at Proitalia in Glendale, CA today. They still had plenty of 04's left, R and Factory. No 05's. They also had the '05 Agusta F4 1000 in red. The guy was nice enough to start it for me to let me hear the exhaust. Wow!!! Sounded like a Ferrari being wound up. Beautiful bike. $21,495 retail.

YOu would think for a bike at that price they would have Ohlins suspension front and rear. it has Marzocchi (sp?) instead.

Anyone here have any experience with the new Agusta?

PAID BY FORD
10-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey Arnie,
I have an 05 agusta agostini and i really like it alot. i consider my factory to be the best v twin i could buy and my mv agusta the nicest inline 4 i could buy. also the bike is super fast, i like the handling better than the factory but the brakes of the aprilia are definitely better.

Arnie
10-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Thanks. Just curious, why do you think the handling is better than the factory?

The agusta looks great.

PAID BY FORD
10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
The turn in is exceptional. the much overused term "effortless handling" is finally accurate. i guess the best way to describe it is 250 like. and finally with the full liter displacement it pulls from 4 grand up and it's really strong. not like the 750 which was just a pretty face.
I must admit to a little secret though. 2 weeks ago i picked up a 2004 moto guzzi nero corse lemans, the dealer made me an offer i couldnt pass up. well guess what? i havent stopped riding the damn thing!! i love it. i have ridden it a least once a day every day since i took it home. my first new bike was a 1978 lemans back in the day, so i guess you can say i have always had a thing for guzzis. Its slow, it was inexpensive and most of all my girlfriend and myself can get on it and have a fantastic day riding everywhere.

clarkie49
10-17-2004, 07:05 PM
drop the front of the Factory 1 line, it will transform the bike :)

PAID BY FORD
10-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks Clarkie, I will give it a try, will be taking it up to deals gap the last weekend of the month. Should really make a difference up there!

cman6453
10-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Clarkie - Drop it one line from the factory setting? 2 lines showing?

clarkie49
10-17-2004, 09:53 PM
not sure what the stock setting is but in your owners manual it has some setting for 'stock' and 'race' and we found that the 'race' setting transform the bike into an awesome 'street bike'

there are no problems with teh front tucking or anything crazy, for the track i would raise the back as high as it will go and drop the front to the 3rd line ;)

SirMille
10-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Sport Rider recommends raising the forks to 6 lines showing, which means you drop the front end or raise the forks depending on how you look at it, plus it also depends on your riding style and/or were you ride.

clarkie49
10-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Kent dropped the bike so much because he couldnt touch the ground :D (sorry Kent)

its all about the rake, trail and swing arm angle numbers, dropping the front that far will give you the rake and trail but it will flatten the swingarm angle too much and sacrifice traction

Arnie
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by PAID BY FORD

I must admit to a little secret though. 2 weeks ago i picked up a 2004 moto guzzi nero corse lemans, the dealer made me an offer i couldnt pass up. well guess what? i havent stopped riding the damn thing!! i love it. i have ridden it a least once a day every day since i took it home. my first new bike was a 1978 lemans back in the day, so i guess you can say i have always had a thing for guzzis. Its slow, it was inexpensive and most of all my girlfriend and myself can get on it and have a fantastic day riding everywhere.

Funny you mention the guzzi. I've been wanting to get a V11 sport for a while now. The only thing that has held me back is the hp or lack thereof. However everyone I talk to that own a guzzi love them.

scott2ride
10-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey Clarkie,

The manual is a bit ambiguous when it says how many lines to set it as, because you dont know weither they mean to start with the line at the top-cap join, or the first line down. (Bloody Italians!) :D

So when you talk about 3 or 4 lines showing, do you count the first line as the line at the top of the anodised fork, where it meets the top-cap?

In other words, do you consider the join between the top-cap and the top of the fork the first line?

clarkie49
10-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Aprilia counts that line, i dont, their 3 lines is veryone else's 2 lines :)

JamesC
10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by PAID BY FORD
The turn in is exceptional. the much overused term "effortless handling" is finally accurate...

power.. not like the 750 which was just a pretty face.

The showa or marzocchi kit on the MV is very good. Depending on your weight it may still need to be modified but it's the same for any brand. Before I owned the MV I used to think the same; Ohlins/Penske/bling name was required. I feel differently now :) The 1000cc adds high and low speed compression damping so it takes it up a notch up from mine - I'm not entirely convinced it's a notch I can use effectively but it's available none the less.

Please repeat this 750 comment everywhere you can. Makes riding one among a sea of friends on litre bikes all the more enjoyable :)

cwalker
10-18-2004, 04:38 PM
hmmm.... mine 's on 5 lines showing at the moment, and it has even been further down, but clarkie is absolutely right, traction in fast corners is becoming a bit of a concern then.....

however, i would like to use different linkage on the back, to raise it even more ( i'm rather tall, and i don't mind a nervous bike, as look as it steers bloody quick!)

any experience/advice on those anyone?

clarkie49
10-18-2004, 04:58 PM
let me know how thats works out for you :D

cwalker
10-18-2004, 05:06 PM
well, i'll either post a fantastic lap time at zolder here... , or some pics of a professionally crashed bike.....

i'd rather do the first however.... that's why i'm looking for somebody who tried it first..... :D :D :D

clarkie49
10-18-2004, 07:13 PM
i know the numbers on that setup up and they dont look good

cwalker
10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
i know the numbers on that setup up and they dont look good

ok, what's the outcome then? ;)

:peace:

clarkie49
10-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by cwalker
ok, what's the outcome then? ;)

:peace:

like i said, they dont look good but let me know how it goes :)