PDA

View Full Version : FP chip/Evoluzione race airbox results

Chris S
10-12-2004, 12:26 AM
I finally managed to get my Tuono down to AF1 last week, and Ed installed an FP chip + Evoluzione race airbox and dyno tuned the combo. Keep in mind it's an eddy current dyno, which reads -12-17% vs. Dynojets. It looks like I gained about 4 hp across the board (already had an Akra ti slipon), but the chart doesn't reflect how much the throttle response and sound improved!

:banana:

multimoto
10-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I never checked on the dyno.. I did the same thing and the sound/performance definitely went up a couple notches..

Rod B
10-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Chris,
How much "tuning" was necessary? Sync throttlebodies only? Trim adjustment? Something else? I ask as I just added the FP chip and Akra slip on & have the Evo airbox and early mille intake boot sitting in the garage awaiting installation :D

Chris S
10-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Rod, I have no idea, since I left the bike and wasn't around. Maybe Ed will see this thread and chime in, or you might want to ask him.

ken zeller
10-12-2004, 10:22 AM
there really isn't any "tuning" required, just good basic setup. after installation, make sure the t/b's are in sync, adjust the t.p.s., set idle speed and then if you have access to a 4-gas analyzer, adjust the trim pots (if not, just leave them at the "12 o'clock" position).

mysubaruimp
10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ken zeller
there really isn't any "tuning" required, just good basic setup. after installation, make sure the t/b's are in sync, adjust the t.p.s., set idle speed and then if you have access to a 4-gas analyzer, adjust the trim pots (if not, just leave them at the "12 o'clock" position).

what effect will the trim pots have if they are out of whack?

Ed / AF1 Racing
10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I did exactly what Ken said....even in the same order he listed

we have a 4-gas EGA.....

trim pots have a huge effect on idle mixture and very low part throttle openings (say less than 5-10% opening)....

it effects the low part thorttle cruise.....mainly it effects idle mixture and just off-idle. You want to set them correctly. Adjust them until you hear the highest smoothest idle, if you do not have a 4-gas EGA. You will hear a difference.

gordon gauge
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Man, that has got to be what's wrong with my bike. It burbles and stumbles real bad just off idle, and when cruizing with the throttle just cracked open. It doesn't want to start when its hot and won't idle. Got a FP chip, K&N type air filter, fuel pressure regulator, and Gianelli slip on. But my local shop can't seem to get it to run right.

Ken, how far are you from San Diego? Maybe I could ride it up there and have you guys take a shot at tuning it? Thanks, GG

Ed / AF1 Racing
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
he's in Simi Valley........north, north, north LA region.

you could try adjusting it yourself....sounds like it cant get any worse.

gordon gauge
10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't know Ed, like they say - nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. :( GG

SDTuono
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
GG

Maybe we can try tweaking it on our next ride. I'm up for giving it a go in shade-tree style. We just won't do anything we can't undo if it doesn't help.:p:

The next step will be finding someone with a 4-gas EGA and dyno to spend some time with your bike.

You need to get this dialed in soon. Once my garage is done, I'll be ready for "Tinker-Time" on my bike and I'd like to know the results before I start on mine.:D :D :D :angel:

gordon gauge
10-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Dammit, got the guinea pig role again. Sigh.

O.K. , maybe you come over next weekend before ride time and if we botch it up too bad I can always use one of the other bikes.

BTW, SDFalco checked in - perhaps he will be up for a ride this weekend? GG

ken zeller
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
tell you what - if you guys (and gals) want to organize a saturday or sunday up at our shop, i'll give you "tech seminar" on the how-to of basic tune-ups (if you are really nice, i'll go over suspension set-up as well). just let me know as i'll need to do some planning.

gordon gauge
10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Uh, let me think about that for a while/HELL YES. I looked on the map and the drive from San Diego would be about 2 1/2 hours. So count me in!

That's a very cool offer Ken, thank you.

The rest of you Aprilia junkies - sound off.

Be there or be square and all that stuff. GG

amauri
10-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Count me in Ken, just say when.

tuonothunder
10-12-2004, 11:03 PM
I had the pleasure of stopping by evoluzione last friday and speaking with Ken Zeller. He was more than very helpful.
If your going to be doing this on a saturday I'm more than there:) as I usually work sundays:(
I have an '04 with the evo air box mod, fp chip, akropovic titanium s/o and adjusted the t.p.s. to 0 at 1800rps, resynched the tb's, and turned the trim pots to 12'o'clock, but the bike still seems to take a bit to warm up and idle properly. But after useing Mr. Zellers advise on tuning the bike it's soooooo much better. "Thanks Ken".

multimoto
10-13-2004, 12:23 AM
tell you what - if you guys (and gals) want to organize a saturday or sunday up at our shop, i'll give you "tech seminar" on the how-to of basic tune-ups (if you are really nice, i'll go over suspension set-up as well). just let me know as i'll need to do some planning.

Ken,

Please let me know when you decide to do this.. I would really appreciate your time.

Josh

igor
10-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Ken, couldn't you do the workshop in e-learning format, as well ? :) :p:

Most of the mechanics, here in Hungary, could do with some further education. and I am being being subtle now.

SDTuono
10-13-2004, 08:24 AM

Count me in!!!:plus:

I just need enough notice to kick everything else off of the calendar.

Thanks Ken :banana: :banana: :banana:

multimoto
10-13-2004, 09:53 AM
I have another idea.. after we do kens class we can do an Aprilia ride over to canyons around the rock store.. I would be happy to lead a group on a great ride for those of you who have never ridden around this area.

just a thought

ken zeller
10-13-2004, 10:30 AM
ok, sounds like you folks are interested. i would suggest either the 23rd/24th or the middle of next month. just let me know and i try pulling it together.

gordon gauge
10-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Ken, the 23rd/24th is kinda short notice. I respectfully suggest that the middle of next month would be better.

Perhaps you should start a new thread on the subject and maybe we get admin to make it a sticky?? GG

SDTuono
10-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Mid November is better for me as I'll be out of town on the 23rd & 24th of October. :)

I'd be really bummed if I missed out :(

skrump
10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Ken-

Just caught up with this thread, and I'm another Tuono rider who'd be totally down with attending a tuning workshop should you decide to put one together! Got my bike used, and it has such a mish mash of mods I have no idea if they're all working together as well as they should. These "trim pots" sound like something that could use some attention on my bike- she's real "surgey" just off idle. However, reading about trim pots vs. SEEING how trim pots are adjusted would make all the difference in the world! I'll be checking in to see if you nail down a date for this, pretty much any weekend in the next few months is good for me!

Jeff
skrump69@yahoo.com

rsvandy
10-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Just one final question - are there likely to be any running problems if fitting just the FP chip (Factory Pro Chip - Tuono
95302) and a Arrow can with baffle removed? No intension of modifying the airbox other than the original standard de-restriction.

Cheers.

hank
10-14-2004, 07:16 AM
I have mentioned this type of event to every dealer I have ever used as well as having track day to help set up suspension.

This creates strong loyalty and repeat customers... the focus on customer service is far superior than competing on price...

That Ken Zeller is one class act!

Damn, I wish I still lived in CA....