PDA

View Full Version : Tuono, a small bike??????

canus
10-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been snooping around here lately gathering info and am about 90% sure I want to get a Tuono for my next bike this coming Spring. I was getting all psyc-ed up about it and then last night a freind of mine through a monkey wrench in the mix. I have never seen one up close, only pictures and once I saw one on the Track at Jennings in North Florida.
The thing is my freind told me it is a small bike. I am 6'4" and about 320 lbs. so a small bike just looks funny under me. I also find small bikes uncomfortable due to my large size. I was wondering if my freind is telling me the truth or messing with me. Is the Tuono really a smallish bike or would I be comfortable riding it around town and on the back road twisties.
Thanks for your help.

Mike Buczkowski
Oakland, FL

lassho
10-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Hello....

Not to worrie. I am about the same size as you, and the Tuono suits me fine. I used to own a Suzuki Bandit 1200, and the Tuono doesnt feel much different. You actually sit a bit higher on the Aprilia. The Tuono also has great suspension fir us bigger guys. I actually considered buying a Varadero or Vstrom. I still have nightmares about that :)

This is my opinion. You should try one b4 you descide yourself.

Good Luck

Lasse - Don Tuono

canus
10-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I definately will test ride one before I buy one. I was just afraid my little Tuono bubble had been burst. I think I own that freind a little sucker punch for almost deflating my bubble. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have anything else to say?

TRexRacing
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Anyone else have anything else to say?

Yep,buy one you will not be dissapointed.I'm a little smaller than you (6'1" 240) but it's nice and roomy.

gordon gauge
10-09-2004, 09:06 PM
The Tuono is absolutely NOT little. A lot of road racers gripe that it sits too high, and for sure the inseam challenged will have to make a stretch to get those tiptoes on the ground. The ergo's are roomy for sure, so don't worry about it and just nutt kick that guy. :bitchslap GG (or bitchslap, whatever works)

guised
10-10-2004, 04:30 AM
I'm 6'7" (260lbs) and I only find it uncomfy on longer runs, like 200 plus.

The Tuono is tall but the leg room is a little cramped, if I find the right replacement pegs it'll be perfect.

Dan

thunderex
10-10-2004, 05:11 AM
the tuono is a tall bike. i'm 6'2" and find it comfortable. if it were a lot higher i'd have trouble flatfooting it (like a triumph tiger). i'm 210 now but i was around 260 earlier this year and the tuono was a fine fit then as it is now.

you might want to fit on some footpeg lowers to give yourself more legroom. that's dependant on your inseam and how dodgy your knees are (considering you're heavier than i was, i'd hazard to guess that your knees are a little pained).

canus
10-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Well, at 28 the knees are still holding up OK. I can tell already I really need to loose the weight if I want to live happily past 40. I think the stock location will do for now, but time will tell.
Thanks everyone for the good info. I will be hanging around here gathering more info about the bike. It kind of feels funny to be looking at something other than a Honda. I was always a Honda fan with respect for all other bikes, I just never thought I would by something other than Honda. Oh well, I think I'm going to a dark side, and it feels kinda good. :D

jam007
10-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey Canus,

I know the perfect bike for you.....Get a Yamaha FZ1, it's big and powerful....you will love it. A friend of mine is about the same size as you and he loves it. The tuono is toooo small for you.

canus
10-10-2004, 05:11 PM
I have riden the FZ1 and it didn't impress me. Yeah it was a nice bike but it had no soul. It was comfortable but felt blah. I will pass on that thought. Thanks anyway.

twin4me
10-11-2004, 03:16 AM
IMHO I think you will love the Tuono, it has real character and soul.

I think the comment about the Tuono being small is sort of valid. When you are sitting on the bike it feels fairly big and roomy but if you look at it parked in a row of other bikes it does look compact. I think the low fairing, the colour (mine is black) and the overall width of the bike all contribute to this effect.

Another big plus is that you don't see many of them around...

Andrew
10-11-2004, 11:19 AM
6' 3", 230, fits me great. Actually, first time on the bike, felt a little wierd, as you sit so high. I have no idea why someone would say this is a small bike. Especially compared to any crotch rocket on the market. I last about 5 minutes on a RC51 or GSXR. Just sit on one in the dealer.

canus
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I figure I will like it. I don't care if the bike itself is small in size as long as it fits a large man at the controls comfortably. I currently get gifted a ride from time to time on my sister's F4i and I fit and feel OK but it is just a little small for my likings. After about an hour I need a short break. I can go longer but then I just strech as I ride and that looks funny.
I did try to go to the dealer on Friday to look at and sit on one. They had one advertized in the cycletrader and when I got there it was not to be found. Oh well, maybe next time. Anyone live in the Orlando area that wouldn't mind me checking out their bike????

BitchMonkey
10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
6'6" 275 and it is the most comfortable sport ride I've been on....with a tall touring screen and homemade reversed footpegs:

mhertz17
10-14-2004, 09:16 AM
I am 6'4" with 36" inseam and installed adjustable rearsets from AF1 and find the bike extremely comfortable. It was good before the rearsets but now almost perfect. Good bike for us tall guys and the most fun to ride.

The Male Whale
10-18-2004, 03:03 AM
6 feet 4 and 280 ils and the Tuono is fine for me. Got a FZ1 as well and both are really "all day" comfortable.

FZ1 is, IMO, easy to ride fast all day where the Tuono is harder to ride fast but more satisfying when you do. I will use the Yam on my "hangover" days!

TRexRacing
10-18-2004, 07:04 AM
the Tuono is harder to ride fast

I find my Tuono is the easiest bike to ride fast ever ridden!I'm no midget either,6'1" and 240.My set up is almost exactly like the SportRider numbers but a little less on the rebound and compression.From racing motocross for a long time I go into a corner on the gas and feed alot more in just before the apex.Bike seems happy there.I think you ought to invest in some springs and spend some time with a screwdriver.It'll pay off.